First time buying a table, need help and opinion.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mostly I'm concerned about the playability of this table, I choose this because of its cost which is far less than a diamond or GC, but also I like how it looks too much more so than a diamond and GC, I like antiques besides my wife likes it too so it's a bonus.

So I'm asking about the slate, and how it plays, can I jump on this kind of table? do the rails play similarly to GC and Diamond, can I practice on it and then perform well on diamond and GC which are the ones used mostly in tournaments, etc?

Check attachment of photo, I hope it works.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2020-06-13-20-50-20.jpg
    PHOTO-2020-06-13-20-50-20.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 464

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just for informed the make is chinese from LEGO company.

legobilliards.com.cn/

one pocket guy

Registered
Mostly I'm concerned about the playability of this table, I choose this because of its cost which is far less than a diamond or GC, but also I like how it looks too much more so than a diamond and GC, I like antiques besides my wife likes it too so it's a bonus.

So I'm asking about the slate, and how it plays, can I jump on this kind of table? do the rails play similarly to GC and Diamond, can I practice on it and then perform well on diamond and GC which are the ones used mostly in tournaments, etc?

Check attachment of photo, I hope it works.

It sounds like you are buying it new. A couple of things to think about. When you buy a top quality table if you are a pool player and not just buying it as a decoration. You will possibly own this table the rest of your life. You really want something good. Also, of course price is always a factor, but even a casual player will play about 1000 hours a year or more on the table. If you amortize the cost to the amount of use it gives you. It is actually a pretty cheap purchase.

About the table you are looking at. It has a furniture look to it but that does not necessarily mean quality. I have worked on quite a few tables like that and some can be pretty crappy under closer examination. Pressed wood and particle board pieces. Cheap veneer, pine wood or poplar frames and so on. Find out everything about it's construction.

I always lean toward used tables when friends are asking advice. You would be surprised what you can find say a Gold Crown for. Pool tables don't hold their value very well especially once someone wants rid of it. A Gold Crown can also be painted to match your decor.

By the way, I saw your other post. I was at that tournament and I actually played on that table. Sorry, Don't remember a thing about it other then if I remember right all the tables had big pockets. Also, at tournaments tables are often set up for the advertising. I have played in tournaments with really bad tables because they made a deal with the promoter.

Case in point, back in the 70's with the Gandy tables. They were showing up at lots of tournament and played terrible.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you get a reputable installer to set it up, it should play fine - that is critical! Sorry, but you can’t expect any furniture style Asian import table to play like anything like a Diamond or Gold Crown – you get what you pay for.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you get a reputable installer to set it up, it should play fine - that is critical! Sorry, but you can’t expect any furniture style Asian import table to play like anything like a Diamond or Gold Crown – you get what you pay for.

Except they are known to sag in the middle eventually .
Chinese home tables are made of wood that is not used to our dry climate.

He'll more than likely regret it later.

Find a used GC or Diamond, if you ask me.

one pocket guy

Registered

I have owned a lot of GC's because I was in the poolroom business. I have one in my house now I first set up in 1979 and it plays perfect. It came from a private owner and was never in a public room.
I paid $300.00 for it. The house was sold and the new owner wanted it out like that day.
Surprisingly the previous owner tried for a month to sell it with no takers at $500.00. Finally just left it to the new owner to dispose of. The only reason I was able to get it they called me about moving it.
When I saw it I just offered to buy it.Not everybody are pool players I guess.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it looks like it will be fine for a recreational player. and in your home most want a table to look like furniture. i do and my tables do.
good luck with it.

if worried find a place where one is set up and go have a look.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This got me worried, I'm doubting the table now, its not too cheap either to sag from the middle either, it's half the price of a GC, maybe ill cancel the whole thing, ill sleep on it for now and see more comments, hopefully somebody knows this specific brand that I posted a link/name earlier in the #3 post.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This got me worried, I'm doubting the table now, its not too cheap either to sag from the middle either, it's half the price of a GC, maybe ill cancel the whole thing, ill sleep on it for now and see more comments, hopefully somebody knows this specific brand that I posted a link/name earlier in the #3 post.
You should check out a Rasson commercial model table, which would be less $ than a gold crown or a diamond. It should play virtually as good as them.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If you don't like the looks of any of the Rasson tables, you may want to check out Imperial.

https://www.imperialusa.com/billiard-tables/billiard-tables.html

I'm quite sure that they are made by the same company, as the Imperial tables that I have set up have had the Rasson logo all over them.

They are quite easy to set up, and use quite a few modern joinery techniques, which improve the rigidity of the table.

I feel that the overall play of the tables is quite reasonable, for residential style tables.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't like the looks of any of the Rasson tables, you may want to check out Imperial.

https://www.imperialusa.com/billiard-tables/billiard-tables.html

I'm quite sure that they are made by the same company, as the Imperial tables that I have set up have had the Rasson logo all over them.

They are quite easy to set up, and use quite a few modern joinery techniques, which improve the rigidity of the table.

I feel that the overall play of the tables is quite reasonable, for residential style tables.

I like the style of these, but they only offer 7ft and 8ft?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the cost of used Gold Crowns I, II and III's, I think it is crazy to buy something else. As mentioned above, $500 - $1000 depending on condition.

Used Diamond tables when I was looking was $2K and up for beat the hell out of tables.

That table listed will be fine for use. Unless you are buying it used, you are going to depreciate to practically nothing if you every want to trade or sell it.

I wish you the best.

Ken

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the cost of used Gold Crowns I, II and III's, I think it is crazy to buy something else. As mentioned above, $500 - $1000 depending on condition.

Used Diamond tables when I was looking was $2K and up for beat the hell out of tables.

That table listed will be fine for use. Unless you are buying it used, you are going to depreciate to practically nothing if you every want to trade or sell it.

I wish you the best.

Ken

I believe the OP is not in the US. Finding a used Gold Crown overseas is challenging.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea true I’m not in the US, as someone mentioned in Asia.

Nevertheless I have found a used GC and as most of you suggested to me.

It’s a 9 ft GC 5 according to the guy I spoke to, it is used in a pool hall that is going to close up.

He wants an equivalent to about $3000 USD (I converted), do you guys think this is cheap for used or good price?

He say it’s in good condition and he’ll handle the moving and installation plus new cloth and balls.

I’m going to try to reduce his price to around 2,600 usd, lets see

Bare in mind this is even though it’s used it is more expensive than the brand new I posted in the original post up above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That will be the first and last table you will ever have to buy. You will be very happy with it.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea true I’m not in the US, as someone mentioned in Asia.

Nevertheless I have found a used GC and as most of you suggested to me.

It’s a 9 ft GC 5 according to the guy I spoke to, it is used in a pool hall that is going to close up.

He wants an equivalent to about $3000 USD (I converted), do you guys think this is cheap for used or good price?

He say it’s in good condition and he’ll handle the moving and installation plus new cloth and balls.

I’m going to try to reduce his price to around 2,600 usd, lets see

Bare in mind this is even though it’s used it is more expensive than the brand new I posted in the original post up above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find! I'd be all over it!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Furniture Tables.

One problem with furniture tables today is the wood or wood products its made from. If you get under the table & it is made out of wood product (wafer board, oriented strand board or particle board. NO DEAL...

My Disclaimer is this; any table is better than No Table. You can't practice on NOTHING...

If you can find a table that resembles what you compete on, at the Pool Room, that would be my preference.

Last edited: