Tables on hardwood

NYCnoob99

Registered
Has anyone owned a pool table on hardwood WITHOUT a giant rug that extends 5 feet beyond the table in every direction?

If so, what has been your experience with floor damage from cue/object balls that inadvertently fly off the table?

My table will be in the middle of a large room and not sure that the missus will want a giant rug that takes up most of the room extended from under the table. But I also don't want to ruin my floors. Just trying to get a sense from others' experience.

Thanks

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think the rug under the table can look nice, just depends. I definitely do not think they are necessary.

Main way to stop any damage: Control the cueball = problem solved. I am sure you have a nice place
and should not have to "warn" people about acting a fool. Just post up some basic rules with topics like
this that you are concerned about. Good luck!

TFT

Has anyone owned a pool table on hardwood WITHOUT a giant rug that extends 5 feet beyond the table in every direction?

If so, what has been your experience with floor damage from cue/object balls that inadvertently fly off the table?

My table will be in the middle of a large room and not sure that the missus will want a giant rug that takes up most of the room extended from under the table. But I also don't want to ruin my floors. Just trying to get a sense from others' experience.

Thanks

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 12 foot snooker table on wall to wall carpet and a 9 foot pool table on finished birch flooring. Played over a decade.

No issue with damaged floor balls jumping ( a rare occurrence). However, there can definite issue with foot ware over the years. I have classy looking Carpet runners around the table on the hardwood...ones the wife approves of. Also., no shoes...soft slippers in winter.

Carpet around the snooker table a bit worn but not dramatic. Table is in the games room so wife less fussy. I keep everything spotless to prevent any ‘grit’.p from wearing the carpet.

Note. Not all wood floors are alike. I had a friend who does cabinet making help me install my wood floors. The type of wood, finish, etc makes a huge difference in durability. He steered my wife away from Clear woods with ‘perfect’ finished as any defect or mar shows up...as stated, I’ve never noticed damage from a Rogue ball on our style of hardwood.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I had toasted Bamboo from Home Depot. It was 5 on the hardness compared to Oak which was a 4. No chance the balls would damage that floor. The only thing I didn’t like was the noise.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
The bigger problem with a table on a hardwood floor, is the potential of the table sliding/shifting with the weight of your thigh is leaning into the table for a long shot. Also, if the soles on your shoes or stockings are slippery, your feet can slip out from under you, risking injury.