"Playability"

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread, I've been looking for and getting some advice on used tables. At times I've seen some BBC's show up in a price range that is "doable' (I saw a BBC "Regina" for $1500 :eek:). However, I've seen in other threads references to old (turn of the century to the 30's) tables not being as "playable" as "new"(er) tables. Mostly in reference to the rails/cushions. No real examples are given as to the meaning of this.

Being a complete newb at buying a table a couple of questions:

1. What is meant by not as "playable"?

2. Are old tables modifiable to bring them up to today's "standard"? Is this a big under taking?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In another thread, I've been looking for and getting some advice on used tables. At times I've seen some BBC's show up in a price range that is "doable' (I saw a BBC "Regina" for $1500 :eek:). However, I've seen in other threads references to old (turn of the century to the 30's) tables not being as "playable" as "new"(er) tables. Mostly in reference to the rails/cushions. No real examples are given as to the meaning of this.

Being a complete newb at buying a table a couple of questions:

1. What is meant by not as "playable"?

2. Are old tables modifiable to bring them up to today's "standard"? Is this a big under taking?

It really depends on what "OLD" tables you're talking about, but yes it's a big undertaking if it's going to be done correctly. Playability depends a lot on how the rails are designed to be mounted, such as T-rail vs vertical bolted rails.

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TY. I was getting a feeling that the bolting system(s) for the rails was the "issue".
I've been researching (took awhile) and ran across the different systems. I never even thought about the fact than many tables from the turn of the century to the 20's were Billiard tables so the cushion heights/ball dia. were different.

While I love the old BBC tables (Regina's in particular) at this point I don't think I'd tackle one, even if it was a "deal". Unless, of course, it was built as a pool table to begin with.