"Restored" my Brunswick Sport King.

Josue

Registered
I used quotation marks around restored because I wouldn't necessarily call it a restoration, since I didn't fix it up to brand spanking new condition. haha A.) I didn't have the funds for that right now, and B.) I actually liked the patina of an older table like this, shows its character and tells the story of it's life!

I know Sport Kings aren't the highest quality table, but me buying this was more for sentimental value. My dad had a pool hall when I was growing up, and I remember him having one of these, so it brings back a lot of good memories.

We just moved into our first home (that we've bought) back in June, and over the winter I came across a Sport King on craigslist that was pretty cheap. Now that we were going to have a finished basement, I figured I should jump on it! Here's how it looked when we picked it up...

The list of repairs...

-Spent a few hours with some goo gone and LOTS of elbow grease getting all the crap off the rails. Smooth as silk now!
-Repainted the skirts the original color.
-Wiped down the frame and legs with cleaner. Could probably use a repaint, but like I said, I like the character it has now.
-Steel wool to the corner castings to get the rust specs off.
-Wet sanded the aluminum upper castings, and hand buffed them. Did 320 on a DA sander, 400/600/800/1000/1500/2000 by hand, then hand buffed them with some aluminum polish.
-Had my dad's old table mechanic set it up for me. Install/setup, new Championship - championship green felt, and new rails...for $300!

So, between buying the table, materials to fix it up, and paying the mechanic, I have a little less than $800 in it, and that includes a $160 light I bought off eBay!

Came out EXACTLY like I wanted though, I couldn't be happier! I was worried about buffing the aluminum too much, I wanted them to match as closely as possible to the steel bottom pieces, so there's just enough shine to satisfy me. As much as I like seeing tables with pieces shined up to a chrome like finish, I was going for a "stock" appearance, since that's how I remember the table in my youth.

Josue

Registered

And, here's the light I bought. The stainless finish, I thought it matched the table perfectly!

I didn't really need to "talk to a mechanic" anymore, but I figured I'd post this thread anyway, in case there was someone else out there lurking around, trying to find ways to restore their table. That's what brought me to this forum in the first place, I was looking for ideas on how to fix up this table!

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
You did a great job and should be proud of your results. Nice light too.:thumbup:

Be sure to post pictures of your poolroom once you have it completed in the "Show us your home room" thread in the main forum. From the looks of it, you're not far from finished.

Dopc.

Josue

Registered
Thanks! And, will do...

I was wondering if there was a section like that around here. I have a few other things on my list, scouring craigslist now for some good deals. I'd love a few spectator chairs, but I'm not paying $250+/ea for them! I see them on CL here and there for a decent price, but I'm never quick enough to grab them...always a day late and a dollar short!

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the more enjoyable, as you have brought this baby back to life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Josue

Registered
Thanks guys!

It hasn't even been getting played on that much, but at least it's there for whenever I need it. Winter will probably see a good deal of use though.

Josue

Registered
Thanks!

I still need to grab some aluminum polish, keep the finish up on the end caps. I bought a can already, but it must have grew legs and ran away!

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did a beautiful job on the restoration! I had a Sport King when I was stationed in Homestead Air Force Base back in the 80s and they are a fine table, solidly built. Matter of fact I would like to find an 8 footer for my basement room now.

Josue

Registered
They're definitely getting to be few and far between! I still browse craigslist when I'm bored, and I've only come across 2 other ones in the past 7 months.