Product Name change. And a little teasing too

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
The stacked leather wrap as it is known will no longer be called a stacked leather wrap. A stacked leather wrap is stacks of leather topped on one another piece by piece. The wraps commonly used for cues known as such are actually spiral wraps. A long piece of leather is spirraled on similar to Irish linen. So, please let's all stop calling it stacked leather and call it appropriately spiraled leather wrap. This is credit it to mortuarymike-nv

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stacked leather wrap as it is known will no longer be called a stacked leather wrap. A stacked leather wrap is stacks of leather topped on one another piece by piece. The wraps commonly used for cues known as such are actually spiral wraps. A long piece of leather is spirraled on similar to Irish linen. So, please let's all stop calling it stacked leather and call it appropriately spiraled leather wrap. This is credit it to mortuarymike-nv

Hmmm, should we now call a bumper a vibration dampener ???

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow. Glad that's all cleared-up before it "spiralled" out-of-control.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To be fair, there is such a thing as an actual stacked leather wrap. It has not been done much but has been covered, with photos, in the cuemaker forum.

IMHO the name we have been using is in fact a misnomer.

Mike is right.

Personally, I would like to see more of the genuine stacked wrap but I am not sure if anybody is doing it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we want to be pedantic, we should also be correct. It much less a spiral than a helix.

Honestly, I don't really think it is pedantic....because there is really such a thing as a stacked wrap. It is truly a misnomer.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

LOL!!!!

No thanks. With all due respect to Mortuary Mike, the Tiger company introduced Stack Leather Wraps, it's their trademarked name (that's an assumption on my part), it's certainly their coined term at the least. To call it something else and tell them they're wrong would be fairly ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of using the terms that the introducer and/or innovator uses/used.

Freddie

PoppaSaun

Banned
Honestly, I don't really think it is pedantic....because there is really such a thing as a stacked wrap. It is truly a misnomer.

So, would it be pedantic to clarify what you are talking about as being a 'stacked leather washer' wrap? Or, more accurately, since 'wrap' automatically implies that something flat is used to cloak something, would what you are talking about more accurately be a 'stacked leather washer handle'?

This is why I say it isn't a misnomer and that it is pedantic. Since the term 'wrap' is used, most should be able to understand that it is a leather strip that is wrapped around the handle and forms what mostly appears to be a 'stack' of leather.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good

There are many words that have had their meanings "perverted" from their original English language meaning and are seldom associated with the intent of their original meaning.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Leather style stacked leather wrap

I am thinking you missed the point and the difference .

Stacked leather handle is 100% different in feel durability and installation technic then a spiral leather wrap .
A stacked leather handle on a pool cue should last a life time ....and then your kids life time .
It will take about 120 leather washers ..

Spiral leather wraps like what tiger offers are not going to be even close to matching the durability of a stacked leather handle ..
And the feel is also completely different as mentioned .

That and it seems everyone is missing the word style in Tigers description .
The wrap looks like a stacked leather to someone who doesn't know the difference .

If you are going to get a stacked style leather wrap or a stacked leather handle for your cue I do think most people deserve to know what is actually the difference between the two is .

I don't think most cue makers are in willing to start cutting people cues into pieces to install a Stacked leather handle .
Its more of a handle that is done on a cue being designed just for a stacked leather handle ...

I do allot of stacked leather work and leather spiral wraps .
Just figured you guys deserved the truth .

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!!!!

No thanks. With all due respect to Mortuary Mike, the Tiger company introduced Stack Leather Wraps, it's their trademarked name (that's an assumption on my part), it's certainly their coined term at the least. To call it something else and tell them they're wrong would be fairly ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of using the terms that the introducer and/or innovator uses/used.

Freddie

That's their trademark. The name of their product.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, would it be pedantic to clarify what you are talking about as being a 'stacked leather washer' wrap? Or, more accurately, since 'wrap' automatically implies that something flat is used to cloak something, would what you are talking about more accurately be a 'stacked leather washer handle'?

This is why I say it isn't a misnomer and that it is pedantic. Since the term 'wrap' is used, most should be able to understand that it is a leather strip that is wrapped around the handle and forms what mostly appears to be a 'stack' of leather.

Stacked leather handle would indeed be more accurate.

The product Tiger designed, trademarked, etc...I believe has been "stack leather wrap"

I think most people know that stack leather wraps are not truly stacked leather though. Just as most people who call Puffs "kleenex" know that it isn't Kleenex.

But still...mike is right. :wink:

Pedantic? I don't think so. I think he was honestly clarifying for accuracy.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
There are many words that have had their meanings "perverted" from their original English language meaning and are seldom associated with the intent of their original meaning.

I agree. Even the word 'perverted' has been perverted.
For example: When I agreed to pay a girl five bucks to look up her dress, many people considered that 'perverted'.
However, as ugly as this woman was, I thought it 'perverted' for her to charge so much. :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example: When I agreed to pay a girl five bucks to look up her dress, many people considered that 'perverted'.
However, as ugly as this woman was, I thought it 'perverted' for her to charge so much. :smile:

That's rationalization, not perversion.

And ugly is purely subjective.

Did the carpet match the drapes? :confused:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How ugly was she Tramp ???