'Extended Rails' question

A pool table mechanic has a Valley Bar Table for sale to me at a good price.
He suggested I kick in a couple hundred bucks for 'extended' rails instead of the original rails (instead of trying to shim up the pockets) to make the table play "similar to one of those tournament Diamond tables".
I know a Valley isn't going to play like a Diamond...I'm not expecting miracles. But I'd like to have it rigged out to tournament specs.
Will the extended rails help as far as making the pockets smaller?
(there will never be any matches or games played on this table. It is strictly for drills and as a training field for me alone).
Any comments will be appreciated.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The few Valleys that I have played on with "tight pocket" rails, Im not going to bad mouth any pool supply manufacturers here, but the tables played like "gaffed" Valley tables. In my opinion they were nothing less than horrible to play on. A properly set up Valley is not a bad table to play on. I think people are better off just putting good rails and cloth on their Valleys and accepting they will never play like a Diamond.

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I agree with fastone371 if you want a Diamond buy a Diamond. But if you must change it up call Ridgeback Rails at (866) 210-3030 and tell them what you want.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The Ridgebacks will definitely make your table play better but I would stick with the standard opening instead of the tight pocket "Diamond like" version.