I wonder how many people would have done what Hohmann did

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called a double hit on himself in the finals of the straight pool world championships. I didn't see it, the announcers on the stream didn't see it either. Not sure whether the referee saw it but Hohmann immediately called it on himself.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
That man there has the heart of a lion and a true sportsman. We need several more like him in pool. I have seen him in impossible situation, but he never looked discouraged and played as hard as he could with no chance at winning. I use him as a role model for the heart he has and he plays jam up too.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Not many these days would have done that. That's something to look up to.
:D

Gsitz89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called a double hit on himself in the finals of the straight pool world championships. I didn't see it, the announcers on the stream didn't see it either. Not sure whether the referee saw it but Hohmann immediately called it on himself.

I have a lot of respect for people like this. Honesty is a hard thing to find in pool sometimes

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Like Bobby Jones said, 'Complimenting me for calling a foul on myself...you might as well compliment me for not robbing a bank.

Unfortunately, everyone is not Bobby Jones or Thorstan Hohmann

But good on him for doing it anyway.

I've done it many times. It's about how one respects one's self & a little thing called honesty.

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Pure class, imo. That's how you earn respect. Pool needs more people like him. :thumbup:

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
I have called double hits on myself many times during regular singles games. It seems like everytime I could have gotten away with not calling it as it is rather difficult for anybody other than the shooter to notice. I have also called it on myself a couple of times in league but it seems to piss off some teammates so I've been holding my tongue except on the most obvious fouls.

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a well-respected guy from my area in league setting recently, had my back to him blocking his view of a simple shot into the side, which I hit softly enough that there was no audible double click for him to notice. Later confirmed that no one had noticed anything odd about the shot from any vantage point. Called it immediately and won some respect from a grizzled veteran.

Went on to play the rest of the set at the speed I should play and beat the much more experienced player by a huge deficit. I like to think karma pays, but who knows, it's just the proper thing to do if you respect any competition of skill.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Very cool on his part.

I have called it on myself several times in league over the years, usually surprising my opponents. Hard to say if I would do so on that stage, but I'd like to think I would.

Again, very cool.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll see this often in pro snooker matches and see it all the time in Japan.
I think it comes with the regard of pocket billiards as a genuine sport.
If you have high standards for the game you play it as it should be played

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One name that comes to mind immediately is Mike Davis. He's a class act as is Thorsten.

The 14.1 world event has a different vibe to it. The players care about the integrity of the game and the event itself is a gift to all of us from some very generous people.

Thanks again for a great tournament.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've been in a fair amount of tournaments in a few countries......
....and even more action.
It is my observation that there are a LOT of players that would call a foul on themselves.

But like ENGLISH referred to, you don't get a medal for not robbing a bank.
But you get acknowledgement on a much higher plane.

This is one of the things that is RIGHT about pool....lotta good guys play it.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Oliver Ortman called a foul on himself at the Accu-Stats Invitational... I walked over after the match and shook his hand and told him I applauded the fact the he called it on himself....

He laughed and smiled and said I wonder if I would have called it if I had made the shot.. Which made me laugh... I have zero doubt the man would have called it...

JC

Coos Cues
heres a match efren vs hohman, Hohmann commits a foul and did nothing?

http://youtu.be/wmH4ZKNS5q4?t=1h36m50s

right at the 01:37:02 mark.

And he won the match. No Karma there.

I will admit I have done it both ways depending on the situation. If I feel that my opponent is using the old "act aloof move" by not paying due diligence to the game then then hell with them. If on the other hand I feel the guy is paying enough attention to afford respect to the game while he's in the chair I will call it on myself if it was too close for him to call for sure.

JC

Me too

I highly doubt he even noticed it. He was watching the trajectory of the cue ball and it barely changed after grazing the four. I knew I was looking for a foul and I barely saw it.

It had to be pointed out to me that the 4 moved, and I was looking. I know Thorsten better than anyone, and he's as honest as the day is long. I'm certain he never saw it. He'd rather lose than have even just 1 peer or fan think he's less than honorable.

Randy Goldwater