jimmy mataya and danny d

EasyMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone heard the commentary on the two ring games from last years dcc. These guys were hilarious. Why can't ESPN use them instead of this mitch lawrence and the other idiots they use. I would even be happy with Billy I. Get some guys with some color in there instead of these idiots they are using now.

Danny D is hands down the best commentator out there in my eyes. I love listening to him and like you, wish they used him for all events. He has unparalleled knowledge with a great sense of humor and quick wit. He is never lost for words, and in an instant can describe any situation on a pool table....what is the best shot, why it is the best shot, and what could go wrong if he thinks the player is shooting the wrong shot (and he is on the money most of the time!)

Danny we love ya

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EasyMoney said:
Has anyone heard the commentary on the two ring games from last years dcc. These guys were hilarious. Why can't ESPN use them instead of this mitch lawrence and the other idiots they use. I would even be happy with Billy I. Get some guys with some color in there instead of these idiots they are using now.

One day at the last DCC, I had the opportunity to see firsthand what it's like in the booth of the commentators. BCn/Accu-Stats were recording a one-pocket match on the front table between Jose Parica and Shannon Daulton! :eek:

The match began kind of slow, a lot of back-and-forth safeties, with no significant stellar play initially. The commentators have to provide "filler" during these awkward moments, and the veteran commentators we've grown to enjoy in the past do a fine job (IMO) because of their expertise with the participants, venues, and variety of pocket billiard games.

ESPN, though, is unique in that a commentator must have the capabilities and skills set needed to reach out to a much wider audience, i.e., those who may know nothing about the game and its players.

I think the target audience may differ somewhat between ESPN and BCn/Accu-Stats. ESPN may be more generic in its presentation due to the unknown entity of its viewer audience. Whereas, BCn/Accu-Stats' fans already possess the knowledge of the individual games and the cast of regulars. It is like comparing apples to oranges, in a way.

JMHO, FWIW!

JAM

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
EasyMoney said:

I couldn't stand Mataya, I thought he sounded as phony and dumb as the day is long (JMO). I could listen to Danny Diliberto and his stories all day long.
I think the best combination going is Danny and Bill Incardona are the best pair going.

Pelican

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a threesome (like we used to have on Monday nite football) of Danny, Bill, and Grady.

Also agree about 'prettyboy?'

Pel

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Pelican said:
I'd like to see a threesome (like we used to have on Monday nite football) of Danny, Bill, and Grady.
Pel

Sure would represent a lot of knowledge and three good commentators. However since all 3 have a propensity to talk, would there be enough air time to go around? :D

Macint0sh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick question. Can anyone confirm that they redo the commentary for ESPN? I've seen some of the Accu-Stats covererage from the last open, and then I saw the Efren vs. Corey match on ESPN. The ESPN version was quite horrible to watch. Instant replays, dumbed down commentary, ugh. I'd really wish they'd try to educate the public instead of dumbing it down.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
EasyMoney said:

Danny D. and Billy I. are the best in the business IMO. Jimmy was entertaining for about the first 15 minutes, and then his wise cracks and attitude became tiresome.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
I preferred Danny and Mark Wilson.

Good call JimS...it would be a toss-up between Billy and Mark for me. I haven't heard Mark's commentary as much as I have Billy's, but from what I've heard Mark is very good.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my thoughts exactly !!!!!!!

catscradle said:
I couldn't stand Mataya, I thought he sounded as phony and dumb as the day is long (JMO). I could listen to Danny Diliberto and his stories all day long.
I think the best combination going is Danny and Bill Incardona are the best pair going.

I've been watching a one pocket tape with Danny and Billy commentating and they do a great job explaining various options and even explaining why they should or shouldn't shoot a particular shot. It's basically a learning video even though it's an actual match. I recently watched an old one pocket match of Jose and Grady with Weenie Beenie and David Maddox doing the commentary. They did a great job also. As far as 9 ball, Billy, Danny, Grady,Buddy, Mark Wilson, are my favorites. Sam

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
any combo that splits up billy and grady. all these two ever do is rag on each other and nothing ever gets said. apart,,,,they start to pay attention to the match.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Bruin. I like Danny and Grady myself. I think those two would be a good combo.

Macint0sh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rickw said:
I agree Bruin. I like Danny and Grady myself. I think those two would be a good combo.

Absolutely, their commentary during The Maine Event i 95 was great.

inthezone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EasyMoney said:
Couldn't agree with you more - just got the one where Corey came back to win over Alex.

I can't stop running it - excellent pool, good camera work and sound, players animated...but the commentary really makes the show - intelligent and witty and colorful, and at times absolutely hilarious.

Can you recommend other fav's with similar style of commentary?

COLLECTION GURU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny D. The Best

While I Agree Danny Is Great Although He Won't Answer My Email For Lessons, I Just Heard The 14.1 Dvd's From Dragon Promotions Tournament Last Year And Announcers Charlie Williams And Tony Robles Conducted A Clininc On Straight Pool; Entertaining And Informative.

Great Tapes For 14.1 Lovers

Terry Erdman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catscradle said:

I second that combo! Mataya is a loud mouth, rude and obnoxious has been that tries to be funny, but it's not funny. I am sure one on one he is a great guy, but in the spot light his entertainment is a flop!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Besides the previously named commentators, I also like Freddie's 1P commentary alot. Another 1P commentator I found to be good was Kevin Spells work on the 1996 US Open. Him and Grady seemed to mesh well.

gpeezy

for sale!
jimmy mataya

yeah that was a good one.i enjoyed it a lot more that incardona askin "is this a connect the dots,poke out,cosmo or what do they call it these days".i swear he does it everytime.they do need some true characters do the commentary or let the players do thier own afterwards that would be cool.