What is the best production cues you like most?

Best Production Cue You Like Most?

• Total voters

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
IMO, the best production cue ever made was Adam/Helmstetter cues! Maybe not as popular here in the states but very popular overseas. Especially in countries where carom cues are in demand. Although Yuri Miki was not yet with Helmstetter, by 1964 he was making 240,000 cues a year. By the time he started making carom cues he was teamed up with Helmstetter and making double that amount! There cues were so much in demand that they had to build a new factory to meet that demand! Yuri is the George Balabushka of production cue making. Par excellence!

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the best production cue ever made was Adam/Helmstetter cues! Maybe not as popular here in the states but very popular overseas. Especially in countries where carom cues are in demand. Although Yuri Miki was not yet with Helmstetter, by 1964 he was making 240,000 cues a year. By the time he started making carom cues he was teamed up with Helmstetter and making double that amount! There cues were so much in demand that they had to build a new factory to meet that demand! Yuri is the George Balabushka of production cue making. Par excellence!

My first bought cue was a Helmstetter and I was about 16 at the time I bought it at broadway billiard supply in NYC and I think I paid about 120 or 160 at the time somehow it broke and I found the Handle was made of cardboard in it sure it was long ago but I could never forget that LOL

I'm sure they are built good today but I could never forget that cue :D

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first bought cue was a Helmstetter and I was about 16 at the time I bought it at broadway billiard supply in NYC and I think I paid about 120 or 160 at the time somehow it broke and I found the Handle was made of cardboard in it sure it was long ago but I could never forget that LOL

I'm sure they are built good today but I could never forget that cue :D

Moral of this story: Never break your cue in half. No telling what you may find inside it. I've heard one guy used a hanger bolt in his cues.

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon got 78 next is Mezz for 61 and 45 for predator..

I never expect that schon will be the best choice of most AZers

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I picked 3 (Schon, Joss, and Other)
I'd say for me:
1. Schon
2. Joss
3 Huebler

The Joss and Schon are very close IMO, and I do like my old Huebler (79-80 H-13). I should also note that I prefer my Schon with the OB 2+ shaft, and my Joss with the OB Classic+ shaft. I tend to like the Joss production shaft over the Schon shaft though. My Huebler tends to be more "butt heavy" than the other 2, but having shot with it for over 35 years - I do like it a lot too. I also have a Meucci - but I'm not terribly fond of it.

Considering how subjective a poll like this tends to be, I'd say:
If you like it, and you shoot well with it - then it's a damn fine cue. :)

Best always,
Ched

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using Lucasi for years with a OB Shaft. I recently switched to the OB Pro,and it's great. Since I liked OB so well..., I decided to buy a OB Break Cue and OB Playing Cue. I am extremely happy with it. My record on wins in league have been awesome. Can't chalk it up to all Cue. But it has definitely helped. So I was a Plus One for OB.

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yuri Miki, owner of Mezz, also co-owned Adam cues with Richard Helmsttter.
Here's a list of cues he's made: Adam, Helmstetter, Stambolini, Mali, Brunswick, Buffalo, Longoni, Riley, and Mezz.
He's been around a very long time (1960), and has made more cues than anyone else I can think of!!

nice info here ....

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
How does one change ones vote? (j/k)

Went for Schon, but switching to Mezz based on how this EC-7 is singing to me.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got two early Helmstetters, 87-14 and 87-4 I purchased back in the late 80's. Great cues to this day

Roscoe

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have hit several brands, no Schon or Mezz unfortunately, but my favorite of the ones I have hit is Pechauer, in fact I have bought three of them. Just a really solid feeling hit. In fact a buddy is selling his Longoni after playing with one of my Pech... Fit and Finish is superb, lifetime warranty against warpage, small shop in Green Bay, Wi

K3K0

Well i play with Mezz ACE-804 with hybrid alpha shaft (wavy joint) and this is the best cue i played with. Like stiffnes, no deflections, great design and matherials. I tryed to play with 2 schon’s (one stl other ltd), alot of predators, mcdermott prestige IV, balabushka and not a single one of them didnt make impact on me like ACE-804 and friends Mezz TA4. I needed some time to get friendly with it but in the end mine Mezz is a cue for a lifetime...

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

MalibuMike

Banned
Schon! Hands Down! Nothing comes Close!

Hands Down! Nothing comes Close!

Attachments

• 20180205071335-27ffb72e-me (1).jpg
    20180205071335-27ffb72e-me (1).jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 615
  • 20180205071149-06159df2-me.jpg
    20180205071149-06159df2-me.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 599
  • 20180205071135-17759fda-me.jpg
    20180205071135-17759fda-me.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_20160927_190233.jpg
    IMG_20160927_190233.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 597
  • user71166_pic15223_1429131357.jpg
    user71166_pic15223_1429131357.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 580

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer or OB

I've owned Lucasi, Schmelke, Pechauer, McDermott and recently bought an OB. I've only been playing a little over a year but play a lot and have gotten pretty good. As I've learned the game my tastes have changed. First I loved my Lucasi, then was a McDermott guy. Now it's between the Pechauer JP series (the pro series seems a little too firm/harsh for me) and my newly acquired OB-130 with the classic shaft. I've tried Joss and didn't like it at all, as piloted joints, like the Joss, Schon, Pechauer Pro etc. all seem to hit a little more firmly then I like. The flat faced Pechauer JP and any 3/8x10 joint are solid but a little softer. OB quality and feel beats McDermott, IMHO.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Helmstetter since the late 80's. Picked up an 87-14 and an 87-4 at Paragon Sporting Goods in NYC. Both have two shafts. Got them at cost cause my buddy was an exec there. Both are perfectly straight.
This is the 87-14

helm4b.JPG

helm4a.JPG

Roscoe

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon leads the way...yet we have pics in the cuemaker of a modern Schon cue butt refinishing where the butt sleeve was advertised as ebony and the black comes off...it was painted.

Sad.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

For production cues:

1- MEZZ
2 -
3 -
4 - Jacoby
5 - Predator
6 - old Schon

Nothing beats Mezz, they play better than most of custom cues that I played with.
Old Schon and McDermott are really good ones.
I found jacoby cues to be really good hitting cues with radial pin.