Issue with Balance Rite cue extension-need assistance

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Balance Rite Cue extension for a 3/8 X 10 pin OB1 cue. The extra length is just what I needed but I noticed the cue wobbles badly when all together and rolled on a pool table. If I put the extension just on the shaft it rolls fine, if I put the extension on the butt and the shaft the thing wobbles incredibly bad. I've tried to have it refaced but it seems to still be off. I'm thinking the threads are not on center in the extension. Just wanted anyone's opinions on these things and I seen other people had the same issue. I'm just looking for a extension that will roll together and apart on my cue, thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 771

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be ext. just needs faced off. Or it could be the way the pin was installed or the female threads were tapped into the one end of ext. sometimes just face off each end of ext. and on the female end. Chamfer out the hole Alittle. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the BR extensions are pure junk. Simply massed produced and sold. The roll off is from poor workmanship. And the company advertises the cue might not roll good. I bought one inspite of the negative reviews and sent it back as fast I received it. Custom mid extensions are the way to go.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems to be a common BR problem. Having a cuemaker make one to your specs wouldnt cost that much more.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a mid cue ext from Chris high tower of Hightower cues (cueman) on here.

He told me if i didn't like the ext he would give me full refund minus shipping. Can't beat that.

I ordered it today. I'll give review after I play with it for several hours.

Rake

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the BR extensions are pure junk. Simply massed produced and sold. The roll off is from poor workmanship. And the company advertises the cue might not roll good. I bought one inspite of the negative reviews and sent it back as fast I received it. Custom mid extensions are the way to go.

I don't know anything about BR. But anyone who makes extensions will admit, if you don't have the cue, it may or may not roll straight. Joint facings can play a roll. You can't really condemn a company just for stating a fact.
Just saying.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about BR. But anyone who makes extensions will admit, if you don't have the cue, it may or may not roll straight. Joint facings can play a roll. You can't really condemn a company just for stating a fact.
Just saying.

I agree.

As long as the extension's pin is true etc..etc.. a good cue guy should be able to take it and reface the extension. Is that correct?

Also, if a mid-cue extension is perfect other than the diameter is to large. Would the fix be as simple as turning the diameter down to meet the cue's diameter?

Thanks for the info,

Rake

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

As long as the extension's pin is true etc..etc.. a good cue guy should be able to take it and reface the extension. Is that correct?

Also, if a mid-cue extension is perfect other than the diameter is to large. Would the fix be as simple as turning the diameter down to meet the cue's diameter?

Thanks for the info,

Rake

What if? The facing is off on the cue itself?
That's the main reason for someone who makes extensions to make that statement. I've seen it where it's not always the extension.
If you want the extension to fit better on the cue then a custom extension is an option to choose but exact fit may involve giving up your cue. My only concern in this thread was judging a statement that BR uses and they are right for stating it. After that, I consider extensions a removeable part that if the joints get dirty just like the cue. It's going to effect the way a cue roles.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if? The facing is off on the cue itself?
That's the main reason for someone who makes extensions to make that statement. I've seen it where it's not always the extension.
If you want the extension to fit better on the cue then a custom extension is an option to choose but exact fit may involve giving up your cue. My only concern in this thread was judging a statement that BR uses and they are right for stating it. After that, I consider extensions a removeable part that if the joints get dirty just like the cue. It's going to effect the way a cue roles.

Keep in mind, I know very, very little about cue making, building nor repair work. I am picking up tid-bits here and there but it is just enough to get me in trouble if I was to attempt any type cue work, which I have zero interest in doing. I am on the other hand, curious as I do have cue work done from time to time.

I may ask you another question soon if you do not mind. Hopefully I will be able to be more clear next time.

Thanks,

Rake

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind, I know very, very little about cue making, building nor repair work. I am picking up tid-bits here and there but it is just enough to get me in trouble if I was to attempt any type cue work, which I have zero interest in doing. I am on the other hand, curious as I do have cue work done from time to time.

I may ask you another question soon if you do not mind. Hopefully I will be able to be more clear next time.

Thanks,

Rake

You were pretty clear. I try to help when I can.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just saying.

Agree about can’t condemn for warning a customer but their product is consistently off as per my experience and customer reviews. And it is strange that the warning is it might not roll straight. A better disclosure should read It most likely won’t roll straight. I had 4 made by the same person. Each is fine. They are a tad under diameter so it won’t effect the roll. Mike... you have my respect... I’m in no way trying to argue this with you.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I put the extension just on the shaft it rolls fine,

Take a closer look. In the photo you posted there is a clear offset or step between the extension and the shaft. It can be seen along the edge, but the real tattle-tale is the glare/reflection line, They don't lie.

attachment.php

Of course no one at computer terminal can determine if it is the new part, or the old shaft?

if I put the extension on the butt and the shaft the thing wobbles incredibly bad.

Unfortunately still not enlightening. My guess is mass produced part has a little bit of error at both ends, magnified when assembled in middle of cue.

However, if the original cue joint is a little bit "non concentric" then a perfectly concentric extension between them would show error at both ends, too. Maybe doubling the error since it is not likely all the screw threads would be timed same as original.

Just discussing geometry, no intent to criticize anyone's work or property. (other than to say photo shows they don't match)

smt

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm still scratching my head.... This is how the BR is advertised. But I'm thinking...is it the facing or diameter of the extension. If the facing was off wouldn't there be gaps where the joints contact.

Balance Rite forward weighted pool cue extension for Uni-loc joint. This 4" extension conveniently go between your shaft and butt to give you that little extra length you need on some shots. The Extension weighs approximately 2oz. This extension is designed to be used on every shot.
Additional Information

IMPORTANT!: The Balance Rite Cue Extensions are a universal product built to extend your cue 4". However, your cue may not roll perfectly straight when installed on your cue since every joint facing is different. Please take this into consideration when you are ordering.

Last edited:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does it play? Lot of things can cause what your seeing. Anything from dented collars from being dropped, joint facing, bent pins, etc... I understand this is bothersome to you, so something custom made will be a better fit for you most likely. Think about this for a second. I've witnessed someone break and run out with with a broom! I never saw him try to roll it on the table so I don't know how it rolled :D. Enjoy your time at the table my friend!