USBA National Championship Update

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to let you know... finals in USBA Championship today, Friday June 1... one day.

16 players... moved from prelims to the final round.

Biggest surprise... Sonny Cho former US Champion got knocked out in the prelims...

Next upset in the news: John Park of Houston Texas beat Mazin Shooni in the first knock-out round of the final 16... and now Mazin is out...

Two other players from Houston made it to the finals. David (Vu) Nguyen lost his match to Frank Torres... Frank was a former US Champion 40 years ago... they dubbed him the silver fox 'cause of his silver hair...and he is a fox on the table playing consistently around .900...

Thanh Vu playing his first match as I type also from Houston. Was in the top ten in the 2011 Championship but hasn't returned in recent years... till now. He is very strong and may surprise.

Updates can be found in the usual places... POVPool web site and youtube channel, over on professorqball, and of course USBA.net and 3cushionbilliards.com

No surprise that Pedro remains the favorite...playing consistently at 1.500+++

Feel free to add any scores or updates to this thread... I'll try to add a bit as well

Dale Saunders is handling TD duties and doing a great job. He will as he is able keep the results charts updated so you can click this link to check as well...

http://www.dalesaunders.com/USBA/FINALS.pdf

Biggest prize fund ever? Or at least in a very long time! Everyone who made it through the prelims will come home with cash.... the exact amount to be announced shortly...

Cheers.

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanh Vu defeats Ergan Tarhan 35-20. Thanh faces Miguel Torres in the quarter finals.

You just know the folks in Houston are hoping for a miracle... the way the charts are laid out if John Park and Thanh Vu continue to win they could face each other in the finals... and all Houston USBA Championship??? Don't wake me up yet.

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Houston dream is over... Miguel Torres beat Thanh Vu and Pedro Piedrabuena beat John Park.

Thanh trailed the whole way. But John came out like a rocket and led at one point 18-2.... Pedro took control of the game and tied it at 21... shutting his opponent down. At the end John had one final chance when Pedro left the table leading 34-29... but John missed after 4 and Pedro ended it.

Looks like four former champions in the semi-finals... Pedro vs Frank Torres and Hugo Patino vs Miguel Torres.

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pedro beat Frank and Miguel beat Hugo.... so the final is Pedro vs Miguel at 7:00pm mountain time... last chance to watch the action live.

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Miguel Torres the new 2018 USBA 3-Cushion National Champion. Score of the final match against former and 8-time champion Pedro Piedrabuena 35-33.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Video

Congrats to Miguel Torres the new 2018 USBA 3-Cushion National Champion. Score of the final match against former and 8-time champion Pedro Piedrabuena 35-33.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was unable to watch the finals. Is there a video available?