CTE Question

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear that! Someday the emphasis on shot making will be replaced by an emphasis on strategic play and perhaps a new game will be invented ... or 3-1/2 to 4" pocket width maximums.

Although I've made my criticisms of CTE in the past, I have never said it wasn't useful for some people. You are a great example of that. There's nothing better than learning something new that pays results so fast.

Congrats, and I only hope you keep everybody up to date on your progress.

Thanks for sharing your story. :thumbup:

MalibuMike

Banned
It has Helped me...

If only getting me to look at a couple extra lines or so and keeping my mind focused... Helps most when I can not find my stroke, and side pocket shots.. Maybe its a perception thing or a mind-busying thing but it helps me, even wit extreme cuts 7 to 8' away! Its weird! And I would like to know more without getting into an argument..

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been working through several shots in the drills from the Pro One DVD. As a left-handed player, and someone with not-so-great eyesight I noticed one thing and this was after playing through several racks of eight-ball - just practicing and trying to figure CTE out. That one thing is this: I pocketed probably 80 percent of all the balls tonight with a 15 degree perception and outside visual sweep (rotation).

Has anyone experienced this same thing?

When I line up my visuals I first locate Center CB to Edge of the Object Ball. I assume that is a 30% visual with Edge to B falling right into the visual given the CTE 1/2 ball offset. I then adjust to A and rotate into a 1/2-tip position. Zing! - the balls went in so much easier than my old parallel-lines method. It was the most fun I've had in pocketing difficult shots. I still have to improve accuracy of my visual rotation (sweeps) and locating the aim points - especially from long distances on a 9 foot Diamonds. What a blast. So much to learn. It's very difficult to determine what visual to use - 15 outside or 30 inside?

One starts at CTE and then points the tip at 'A' by moving the bridge sideways. Then rotates the grip (butt) with the bridge stationary until the tip is back to center CB (CCB) then shoots. What cut angle is achieved - 15 degrees or...?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One starts at CTE and then points the tip at 'A' by moving the bridge sideways. Then rotates the grip (butt) with the bridge stationary until the tip is back to center CB (CCB) then shoots. What cut angle is achieved - 15 degrees or...?

CTE doesn't worry about specific angles

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE doesn't worry about specific angles

I'm noticing that more and more: on a 9 foot table - 6-1/2 diamonds between CB (close to the rail) and OB and what appears to be a nearly 40 degree cut. ETB doesn't work. ETA with inside sweep? - perfect.

Who would have thought.

CTE is amazing.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some more encouragement for you....

I'm noticing that more and more: on a 9 foot table - 6-1/2 diamonds between CB (close to the rail) and OB and what appears to be a nearly 40 degree cut. ETB doesn't work. ETA with inside sweep? - perfect.
Who would have thought.
CTE is amazing.

As a CTE aiming student, I'm happy to share with you an aspect of the method that many shooters do not think about. I consider it of great importance.
The method , once a player becomes somewhat familiar with it, provides a ROUTINED ORDERLY approach to making the shots and executing....over and over and over and over.
The mind is no longer cluttered with thoughts of "now what did the man at the clinic say about this shot" or "what did mosconi say about these rail shots", or "I heard Grady say that on these we should...", or "is this a 3/5 hit, a 1/10 hit, or a 1/5 hit" , or "I'm not sure about this one, Ronnie Allen said he shot it like so and so"...etc. etc. etc. All clutter...which breaks the concentration and the enjoyment of KNOWING.
Assuming a player has a solid stance, is stroking well, and is staying down with a follow through....then no thought or concern is given to anything other than carrying out the known, proven, CTE procedures for pocketing the shot at hand and playing the position that is needed. That is powerful !
I heard Stan Shuffett state once that "he had been runnning balls to the point he actually became bored" !!!!!!! As a student, I'm looking forward to being able to say that some day.
Happy Trails to you.........
:thumbup2:

Attachments

• Roy Rogers and Dale.jpg
    Roy Rogers and Dale.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Stan Shuffett state once that "he had been runnning balls to the point he actually became bored" !!!!!!! As a student, I'm looking forward to being able to say that some day.
Happy Trails to you.........

He also says that on his YouTube video, CTE Claims: Alive and Well

Jucas

Registered

Who would have thought.

CTE is amazing.

Didn't I read somewhere, that there is no B reference after 4 diamonds? Or am I imagining things....?

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't I read somewhere, that there is no B reference after 4 diamonds? Or am I imagining things....?

You are correct. I know Stan has said that a few times - YT for sure. That's why I opted for that particular visual - to go with ETA.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More encouragement for you........

You are correct. I know Stan has said that a few times - YT for sure. That's why I opted for that particular visual - to go with ETA.
Sacman, when you get better and better with CTE, you will love being able to KNOW that when you miss a shot (and all players do, no matter how much they lie about how seldom they miss), it wasn't because of any aiming fiasco at trying to hit an invisible millimeter spot on the object ball or a 'ghost ball' that nobody can really see. It had to be something else..not your aiming.
You only have 0,15, 30, 45 perceptions to deal with to get on that shot line. (I left out the 60, because I wouldn't be able to see that well anyway).
That is a very encouraging feeling. Especially when you've been gambling for hours, everyone on the rail is pulling against you, you're dog ass tired, sleepy, and you want to rest and count your winnings.
At that moment, the match is in the clutch...and as old Burt Gordon said...."that's when character comes to the forefront". It's great to assist the inner character you have with an aiming method that never steers you wrong.
Go thou and rob the opposition. :thumbup:

Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacman, when you get better and better with CTE, you will love being able to KNOW that when you miss a shot (and all players do, no matter how much they lie about how seldom they miss), it wasn't because of any aiming fiasco at trying to hit an invisible millimeter spot on the object ball or a 'ghost ball' that nobody can really see. It had to be something else..not your aiming.
You only have 0,15, 30, 45 perceptions to deal with to get on that shot line. (I left out the 60, because I wouldn't be able to see that well anyway).
That is a very encouraging feeling. Especially when you've been gambling for hours, everyone on the rail is pulling against you, you're dog ass tired, sleepy, and you want to rest and count your winnings.
At that moment, the match is in the clutch...and as old Burt Gordon said...."that's when character comes to the forefront". It's great to assist the inner character you have with an aiming method that never steers you wrong.
Go thou and rob the opposition. :thumbup:

Well, at this stage in my development my misses are due to aiming. I make it a routine to go through the Chapter 6,8, & 9 shots (and others) from DVD2 when I'm at the table. I know that when I missed I also knew that I did not try very hard to see the alignments at the object ball aim point and its edge. I'll repeat the same shot slowly and carefully, follow my eyes to the correct cue offset and bulls-eye ... center pocket. Oddly, I'm finding that aim point B is giving me the most challenge. It shouldn't because its points of alignment are clearer.

I'm finding it difficult to see both lines at the same time since the cue ball is near me and the object ball might be out in left field.

But ... I've only been studying CTE for 1 month. I am patient and methodical. I'll get it ... eventually.

I can't see the 60 either but I put an object ball in the pocket last night that was nearly 70 degrees and 7 rails away (9 ft). Clipped it and it went right in. Probably more luck than visual in that case but it is interesting how the mind knew how to connect to the 1/8" aim point.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, at this stage in my development my misses are due to aiming. I make it a routine to go through the Chapter 6,8, & 9 shots (and others) from DVD2 when I'm at the table. I know that when I missed I also knew that I did not try very hard to see the alignments at the object ball aim point and its edge. I'll repeat the same shot slowly and carefully, follow my eyes to the correct cue offset and bulls-eye ... center pocket. Oddly, I'm finding that aim point B is giving me the most challenge. It shouldn't because its points of alignment are clearer.
I'm finding it difficult to see both lines at the same time since the cue ball is near me and the object ball might be out in left field.
But ... I've only been studying CTE for 1 month. I am patient and methodical. I'll get it ... eventually.
ONE MONTH ???????...........MAN, YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC!

It took me almost 3 months to even figure out what A,B, C meant.
(I had 70 years of that old fashioned mosconi fraction stuff to unlearn from his books plus I'm not all that smart either)...but I don't make any bad bets (not often anyway).
I talked with Stan just a while ago. He says to check out the last paragraph in John Barton's recent posting. Stan says..."Barton nails it". (Stan don't make bad bets either)
Happy Trails to you!
:thumbup:
Roy Rogers and Dale.jpg

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ONE MONTH ???????...........MAN, YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC!

(I had 70 years of that old fashioned mosconi fraction stuff to unlearn from his books plus I'm not all that smart either)...but I don't make any bad bets (not often anyway).
I talked with Stan just a while ago. He says to check out the last paragraph in John Barton's recent posting. Stan says..."Barton nails it". (Stan don't make bad bets either)
Happy Trails to you!
:thumbup:
View attachment 496038

Thanks for the complement. I had CTE-The Final Chapter early 2017, watched it a couple of times and got a headache trying to figure it out (Stan's visual vocabulary was beyond me at the time) so set it aside while I meandered down the wrong path of other aiming systems. Early June of this year I decided to give CTE another "try". If others can do it ... why not me. With a terrible astigmatism, progressive (bifocal) lenses, and .... being left handed and right-eye dominant I needed a system. I tried parallel aiming, Shane's stick method, fractional aiming, Freddy Bentivegna's box system and finally CJ's cue-ball aiming system. At 55 years-old I wanted ONE system to focus on for the remainder of my earthly days so that I can focus more on cue ball control: speed, tangent lines, reflection, and what little side-spin I use. I've immersed myself in his YT videos as well and even converted all of the lecture-versions to mp3 so I could listen during my hour commute - in case I missed something (and I found I often had). That has helped me understand enough to make a good start in an accelerated method. As a serious musician I've applied my instrument-practice habits and methods to learning the greatest game on earth.

Thanks for the tip! I will check out Barton's post.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He says to check out the last paragraph in John Barton's recent posting. Stan says..."Barton nails it".

Where is it?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This?

"The important thing for objective aiming systems is to learn to recognize and align to fairly concrete points between the balls which form the foundation of consistent application.
Proper input = consistent output."

JB

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I gotta admit, Low, you are priceless! lol Unfortunate that you've been deleting some of your more interesting early posts in the forum. You made a lot of bold claims about learning CTE in a week and dominating your opponents, new high runs, etc. Are you finding now that you were underestimating the time required to make CTE work? You were a teacher, right? Math, english, PE? New skills take time to learn I'm sure you know.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta admit, Low, you are priceless! lol Unfortunate that you've been deleting some of your more interesting early posts in the forum. You made a lot of bold claims about learning CTE in a week and dominating your opponents, new high runs, etc. Are you finding now that you were underestimating the time required to make CTE work? You were a teacher, right? Math, english, PE? New skills take time to learn I'm sure you know.
I've asked you before....this time I'm telling you.
Leave me the F. alone out here in the open forum. I do not comment to you....do not comment to me either.
You got something to say...put it in a PM.
Otherwise shutup to me here in public.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

dan
i am not a cte aimer
but respect them
to use a system that works for them.....:)
why do you keep badgering them if its not a system that works for you
do you think of yourself as a crusader to save the world of pool players from a system you disagree with ??
give it up
jmho
sorry for the mini hijack
but if dan and the others let you guys live in peace there wouldnt be any hijacks of threads
just sayin
icbw
icbw

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dan
i am not a cte aimer
but respect them
to use a system that works for them.....:)
why do you keep badgering them if its not a system that works for you
do you think of yourself as a crusader to save the world of pool players from a system you disagree with ??
give it up
jmho
sorry for the mini hijack
but if dan and the others let you guys live in peace there wouldnt be any hijacks of threads
just sayin
icbw
icbw
Thank you, sir.