Synthetic replacement for ivory ferrules?

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years I have had to replace my ivory ferrules on my Motty several times due to cracking. I feel that ivory is an obsolete material for the performance end of a cue compared to modern materials. I'm going to replace them with something synthetic. What would you recommend for replacements that will play the same. I love the " aluminum bat sounding hit" I have now and wish to stay close to this. Is ivorien(sp?)a good replacement?

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting choices

Thanks for the recommendation. After looking there are many choices. I never knew there were different Ivorine choices. Anyone else have a another recommendation?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Mason Micarta is just about as nice as it gets.

That being said,now that I'm cutting it with HSS,the 2 ferrules I did using the Arvorin/"resin ivory" from Warther's were amazingly nice when done,but no comment on playability yet.

The Ivorine 4 stuff is hard to keep clean,and it's hard and heavy,but rest assured,you will NOT hurt it without a heat gun ;).

I honestly can't say anything about the playability of the Tomahawk stuff,but it's a top-shelf material,just much different than ivory. Tommy D.

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why ivory ferrules?

With modern materials why would ivory ferrels still be used? Every cue I've owned with it has cracked and had to be replaced and I take care with my cues. What is the most common synthetic material used in cues now? Anyone know about Elforyn Ivory? This stuff sounds like a good substitute. What about Aegis II? Juma?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Ivory ferrules in my book were the way to go for a long time. I still have one of the shafts original to my Schon ordered in 1990 that hasn't cracked yet.

With ivory,weather care is critical. Avoid heat and cold by not leaving them in places you wouldn't lay down and go to sleep ;).

Juma and Elforyn are both fine materials,but much softer than ivory. Tommy D.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With modern materials why would ivory ferrels still be used?

Because there is no perfect replacement and I like it.

I am confident there will be a replacement. We are growing organs and tissues in the lab. We will be able to grow ivory eventually.

Until then, anything else is a compromise for those who prefer it.

In the mean time caring for them is important.

I have heard wiping them with baby oil occasionally helps, but I have not seen this substantiated.

Same goes for joints.

I have 100 year old Brunswick cues with original uncracked ivory so it is possible.

I do play ivory ferrules so i am interested in their care and preservation under playing conditions.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confident there will be a replacement. We are growing organs and tissues in the lab. We will be able to grow ivory eventually.

Dunno if anyone's pursuing this, but it's not necessarily so simple. It may very well be that seasons, trauma from usage, etc. contribute to the structure of ivory in a way that is important for its use in cues and beyond appearance. Kind of like plantation-grown trees. There's a lot more to good wood than the species of tree came from.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno if anyone's pursuing this, but it's not necessarily so simple. It may very well be that seasons, trauma from usage, etc. contribute to the structure of ivory in a way that is important for its use in cues and beyond appearance. Kind of like plantation-grown trees. There's a lot more to good wood than the species of tree came from.

I wouldn't expect it to be simple and didn't wish to imply it would be.

With the right technology, any such thing can be replicated, including subtle qualities induced by age, stress, wear, etc.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Nobody is crazy in replacing ivory ferrules b/c the world has changed.
Players prefer lighter and softer ferrules these days .

If you still want that heavy and pingy ferrule, Saber T is your ferrule .

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where is the best place to purchase this material? Bottom line is want the same deflection qualities as my ivory ferrules. This seems like this might include close to the same density as ivory. How many ivory ferrules have folk out there seen and replaced? I live in a very dry climate, so this might be a factor in cracking. This will be my third replacement on each shaft.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't disagree. One is not crazy to replace it with non-Ivory. And if one just wants those qualities, materials are available.

But equally, one is not crazy if one simply wants ivory, for whatever reasons.

Just like one might drive an old car with old OEM type (reproduction) tires. Sure, newer and better are available. One might want original simply because it is original.

And that does not mean one is not serious about pool. Just like people that race classics and antiques can be quite serious.

Perhaps this issue will become progressively more moot as CF shafts with no ferrules take over. Then perhaps any sort of ferrule would become laughable to some with no taste for aesthetics or appreciation of classic designs and materials.