What pin Is this?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read so many "what thread is this or that?" I wonder just for fun, how many known joint pin threads are out there?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I read so many "what thread is this or that?" I wonder just for fun, how many known joint pin threads are out there?

1/2-8
1/2-13
1/4-14
5/16-10
5/16-14
5/16-18
3/8-8
3/8-8.5
3/8-10
3/8-11
3/8-11.5
3/8-12
3/8-14
3/8-16
3/8-18
3/8-24
7/16-11
7/16-14
Uni-Loc QR
Uni-Loc Radial
Mezz Wavy
Several shitty QR pins

Basically, any tap-and-die set has probably made a joint pin set before. Lots of hobby makers have tried random pins. Plus all the piloted variants.

Last edited:
The more TPI the more true the joint will be at the mating surface. That’s a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It's just a variation on 3/8 X 10 mentioned above, but there is also 3/8 X 10 Acme pin, different from the regular.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0312.jpg
    DSCN0312.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 477

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just a variation on 3/8 X 10 mentioned above, but there is also 3/8 X 10 Acme pin, different from the regular.

All the best,
WW

Yeah those 3/8-10 and 3/8-11 pins comes in quite a few variations. ACME, .302" minor, .308" minor etc...
I can add the following:
- Uni-Loc Bullet
- Uni-Loc Ghost
- American ball thread
- Asian ball thread
- Schmelke brass joint
- Layani conical joint
- Longoni VP2

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is that?

Lemme pull out my ESP and say that his reasoning is that because there is more surface on a higher tpi pin, there is more friction. Which is the whole point of the joint facing. The pin is 95% personal preference, 4% science, and 1% he said she said.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yeah those 3/8-10 and 3/8-11 pins comes in quite a few variations. ACME, .302" minor, .308" minor etc...
I can add the following:
- Uni-Loc Bullet
- Uni-Loc Ghost
- American ball thread
- Asian ball thread
- Schmelke brass joint
- Layani conical joint
- Longoni VP2

Very true. I would also add this. 5/16 X 14 is all over the place. There was a standard in the old days, Balabushka, Joss, etc. Then Joss West did a different version of it that did a tighter fit near the end. The Schon 5/16 X 14 is different also. Even among contemporary makers, a Rauenzahn 5/16 X 14 is slightly slimmer than a Richard Black 5/16 X 14, for some reason. Different suppliers? Maybe a different way of final polish for final fitting? I don't know, but the 5/16 X 14 to me is the most mysterious in variations.

All the best,
WW

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Lemme pull out my ESP and say that his reasoning is that because there is more surface on a higher tpi pin, there is more friction. Which is the whole point of the joint facing. The pin is 95% personal preference, 4% science, and 1% he said she said.
I don't know if 5/16 18 has more surface than 3/8 11 ( SW ) or the radial screw.

The Uniloc quick joint has the least mating surface.
But, I can tell, that dang configuration is as straight as anything there is when done right.

5/16 14 without the compression fit doesn't seem all that hot to me.

Too many screws out there. You can add some shortened 3/8 variety to them. Martinez and Hunter come to mind.
Dave B.'s .350 11 too. Or is it a 10?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very true. I would also add this. 5/16 X 14 is all over the place. There was a standard in the old days, Balabushka, Joss, etc. Then Joss West did a different version of it that did a tighter fit near the end. The Schon 5/16 X 14 is different also. Even among contemporary makers, a Rauenzahn 5/16 X 14 is slightly slimmer than a Richard Black 5/16 X 14, for some reason. Different suppliers? Maybe a different way of final polish for final fitting? I don't know, but the 5/16 X 14 to me is the most mysterious in variations.

All the best,
WW

I had a pretty complete list in my post history. Can't find it now. But
Mali .298x14
Schuler, Schick. It's George and Schon. .302x14
Other standard is .307x14
Newer standard for Joss .310x14
Tascarella, Black Boar and Mezz. Full .312x14

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

3/8x10 is another fun screw.
Thomas Wayne around .356x10
Standard 3/8x10 with a .281 minor like McDermott and others.
3/8x10 for Mohawk. Negative thread is different also.
The newer flat bottom screw. And of coarse
3/8x10 acme used by Tim Scruggs and Mike Gulyassy.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This far into the thread, and nobody has brought up the usual carom cue pin? I can't believe it. What is the size? To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it's ever been a usual discussion topic, unlike 3/8 X 10, etc.

Don't you have me get those calipers out...... If you want to be that anal, I will...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Longoni Pin.jpg
    Longoni Pin.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 208

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This far into the thread, and nobody has brought up the usual carom cue pin? I can't believe it. What is the size? To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it's ever been a usual discussion topic, unlike 3/8 X 10, etc.

Don't you have me get those calipers out...... If you want to be that anal, I will...

All the best,
WW

Lmao. You didn't by chance read post #3 in this thread, Did you?