Why do EU players throw cue away in celebration?

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Appleton did that
Ouschan did that
Shaw did that
Filler did that

Shane does not do that
Ko does not do that
not Chang, Wu, Chua, Biado... none

last generation EU players did not do that

it's the cue that brought them glory, it's like an extension to your arm

emotion explosion...it does not explain that

I dont like seeing that.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appleton did that
Ouschan did that
Shaw did that
Filler did that

Shane does not do that
Ko does not do that
not Chang, Wu, Chua, Biado... none

last generation EU players did not do that

emotion explosion...it does not explain that

I dont like seeing that.

They get their cues for free, you do the math

OR they want to provoke a Darwin award to the recipient.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Breaking your glass after a toast is a European thing....

EFFAA3FF-C7BC-43D1-A1C2-3EFB7D17EB1D.jpeg

...the tradition continues into billiards

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should start smashing them a la the rock-and-rollers with their geetahs.

Safety first, perhaps: Europe has a rich history of impaling.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

a revo isn't unique and with it being cold blooded, itll never be an extension of the arm.

if my river of wood had been rolls of carbon fiber.....i wouldn't have shed one dam tear over it being gone not a one

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:withstupid:

I noticed Filler made sure his cue hit flat when he threw it, preventing any damage. Predator shows he has been using Predator since he was twelve, so maybe for him he just expects daddy to get him a new one, especially after winning world champ and $40k.

Or maybe he was excited. He actually jumped onto the table with his shoes on - inconsiderate, but heck, those Doha guys are oil billionaires, right?

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not a well known fact outside the EU, but they do it because it's a European Union Law, proposed by the European Commission and approved by the Council of Ministers. According to this law, all pool players who represent a country of the EU in a major tournament are obligated to throw their cues away right after potting the winning ball. Penalties are heavy for not doing that, so European players basically have no choice but obey.
You can read more on this here: www.AnswersToTheMostStupidQuestionsOnTheInternet.com/StupidQuestionsAboutPool/IHateAllEUPlayers

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd guess it is a habit that is permissible, there's more cues just like that one:

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 345

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hendry's prime cue is broken in flight
Seven-times World Champion's cue broken by baggage handlers
Clive Everton
Mon 1 Sep 2003 21.05 EDT First published on Mon 1 Sep 2003 21.05 EDT

The cue with which Stephen Hendry won his seven world titles has been broken by airline baggage handlers. It gives Hendry a dilemma. Changing cues can be an ordeal for the top players because no two are the same. Players can only insure their cues for face value, which is usually no more than £40. Increased airline security since September 11 has stopped players taking their cue cases into aircraft cabins. Hendry, 34, discovered the breakage on his return to Heathrow from tournaments in Hong Kong and Bangkok and now hopes that his cue doctor, Lawrie Annandale, can repair the damage. The season's first world ranking tournament, the LG Cup, is only five weeks away.

"The bottom 15 inches is broken off but the shaft is still intact," said Annandale. "I'm going to fix another butt. Stephen seems calm, but is obviously very worried and only Stephen will know if the cue plays exactly the same."

Hendry had used the cue - a gift from his parents when he was a child - throughout his professional career. He nearly lost it in 1990 when it was stolen during the Rothmans Grand Prix. It was, however, returned when a reward of £10,000 was offered.

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PEOPLE dying in wars ... children starving ... cancer taking lives everyday & some of you are worried about a youth throwing a cue and jumping on a table ... Really !!!... Sad to me but that's life .... Nuff Said

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoes on the table? Cues on the floor?

My mother would not let either of those things happen.
And if you were an excited world champion all the more
Reason to behave. But to each his own. I first saw it
With darren a few years back in qatar i think, and i was
Puzzled at first because i always play with lights that
Would be in the way of jumping on a pool table.

Personally i would outlaw that. Like touching the ref in baseball. No.
But maybe it’s a johan thing because shane was the
First one to jump on that rasson after an exciting mosconi cup win.
After nine years.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
thank you for all your humorous and critical opinion.

I just think pool ppl should respect their equipment.

and to me, it made me sad seeing a cue thrown like that, and jumping on table... really hard to see.