14.1 Championships in New Brunswick, NJ

climbtrad

Registered
I went last year and it was definitely worth it. Saw Hohmann run 170+

They had VIP seating close to the tables (would have been better if the seating was elevated a little more instead of in chairs) and they also had bleacher seating for a lower general admission price. I bought a VIP pass for the whole week since I wasn't sure a 14.1 event of this scale would ever be held again. There were plenty of great players many of whom I am sure will be invited back.

Would have to say if you like 14.1 you will not be disappointed. There were several 100+ ball runs. The venue isn't too bad and hopefully they will have a few of the kinks from last year worked out.

I will definitely be going again.

David

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go.
I want last year. It was well worth it. I was also there when Thorsten ran the 170. Amazing! Basicly a very good event. There were a few things that needed to be improved upon but overall well worth it.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to all the day sessions. Saw Sigel, Varner, Lee, Archer and many other great straight pool players. I agree the VIP seats should have been elevated, but everything else was wonderful. I think it was a disappointing turn out. Small crowds for the day sessions. I hope there will be enough people this year to keep this thing going. Seyberts was there selling stuff. They were the only retailers.

July 9th through July 14th @ the Hilton hotel in EAST Brunswick, NJ.

Same format, 64 players, eith groups of round robin (all players play atleast 7 times) top four from each group advance to the tournament brackets.

If you search seyberts archives under world straight pool championships, there is a lot of info on last years event.

Unfortunately, we can't elevate the VIP seats.

This year we will have better score keeping methods and I think we will increase the numer of payouts to the top 32 (meaning anyone who advances out of the round robin stages.)

Hope to see you there.

RG

BTW, the dvd is finally available for this event.

BANKONIT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If You Are Into 14.1 You Must Be There. Room Rates Are Reasonable. The Place To Be For 14.1

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not that far from this event and will be there! maybe us AZrs can meet up?

maybe a banner is in order?....

Gerry

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I'm not that far from this event and will be there! maybe us AZrs can meet up?

maybe a banner is in order?....

Gerry

And T-shirts?

Dale

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if all goes according to plan, the straight pool design you see here on your left, will be on sale. We're not certain yet whether they're allowing vendors. If so, PoolTees will be on hand.

We can probably work out some sort of discount for AZB members.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
July 9th through July 14th @ the Hilton hotel in EAST Brunswick, NJ.

Same format, 64 players, eith groups of round robin (all players play atleast 7 times) top four from each group advance to the tournament brackets.

If you search seyberts archives under world straight pool championships, there is a lot of info on last years event.

Unfortunately, we can't elevate the VIP seats.

This year we will have better score keeping methods and I think we will increase the numer of payouts to the top 32 (meaning anyone who advances out of the round robin stages.)

Hope to see you there.

RG

BTW, the dvd is finally available for this event.

Randy,

What airport is best to fly into? Newark?

From East Brunswick, is there is train from there to NYC? Easy to get to from the hotel?

Sorry to hit you up like you a are a tour guide. I lived in NYC about 15 years ago, but I am not at all familiar with East Brunswick.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
mthornto said:
Randy,

What airport is best to fly into? Newark?

From East Brunswick, is there is train from there to NYC? Easy to get to from the hotel?

Sorry to hit you up like you a are a tour guide. I lived in NYC about 15 years ago, but I am not at all familiar with East Brunswick.

I went to NYC a few times from the hotel. Yes there is a train, can't remember how much prob NJ Transit. Took about an hour I think, taxi to hotel from station was about 10 bucks. Newark is closest.

Randy, great news they're keep same format I was grueling but def one of the highlights.

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
I was there last year. The event was even more awesome than the thunderstorms that ripped a hole in the roof and poured water down into the playing arena. I was surprised at how small the crowds were, but it made for an intimate feel. This was my first exposure to Jasmin Ouschan and I was immediately hooked. I still believe she will be the dominant woman player in billiards someday. She has an amazing game.

I will say that the only trouble I experienced was with the hotel staff and service in general. The room I had reserved months in advance was not available due to construction. I needed a double, but only got a single. No compensation. The staff in the restaurants was very slow and not very attentive to customers (unless it was Allen Hopkins throwing around the green - lol). I wouldn't say this is unique to the Hilton there as service seemed to be poor in other places of business around the East Brunswick area. I really feel like it was just one of those times when a few things go bad and then everything seems to go bad.

The 14.1 didn't dissappoint at all, though. I learned a lot about the game. The difference between the European style and American style was remarkable. I am considering going this year. The event is great, but I was not happy to see the same venue listed...

No one is more excited about this event than I am. I can't wait to see he final list of 64.

I agree with some of you with regards to the Hilton there not being very attentive. I was surprised at the slow inattentive service as well. I recall on the final day, they didnt even want to give me a late checkout, until I flipped out in the lobby telling the manager I was the reason the event was being held there in the first place. good grief.

But we came to very good terms with the management there, despite the roof colapse and other things. In fact, the understnading we reached is part of the reason we were able to repeat the event this year.

As far as vendors are concerned, i have talked to charlie about this and we are going to make an effort to have more on hand. Additionally, I will be running the "official" 2007 world straight pool championship merchandise.

Any ideas on what we should sell besides t shirts, caps and key chains?

Randy

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
No one is more excited about this event than I am. I can't wait to see he final list of 64.

I agree with some of you with regards to the Hilton there not being very attentive. I was surprised at the slow inattentive service as well. I recall on the final day, they didnt even want to give me a late checkout, until I flipped out in the lobby telling the manager I was the reason the event was being held there in the first place. good grief.

But we came to very good terms with the management there, despite the roof colapse and other things. In fact, the understnading we reached is part of the reason we were able to repeat the event this year.

As far as vendors are concerned, i have talked to charlie about this and we are going to make an effort to have more on hand. Additionally, I will be running the "official" 2007 world straight pool championship merchandise.

Randy

Shame you couldn't get any 14.1 memorabilia from past greats, copies of the signed Mosconi affidavit etc, any accustats or other high run videos. Would also be good if somebody could put together some sort of definitive list of high runs, both in competition and practice, and maybe past world champions. Even if these where just posters I'm sure they would be popular.

Would also like to see a high run table like DCC, but not sure the players would use it given the schedule. It would be good to warm up on though.

Just some random thoughts

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:
Well if all goes according to plan, the straight pool design you see here on your left, will be on sale. We're not certain yet whether they're allowing vendors. If so, PoolTees will be on hand.

Great news PoolTees

Let me see
Straight pool fan...
is the Nj, by any chance for New Jersy?

Dale<cue dective expanding his investigations>

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:

Randy

Randy,

I was thrilled to see another 14.1 Championship tournament and am glad that it wasn't a one-time deal either. I figured that due to the building issues, at minimum, they would be offering an attractive situation for a return engagement. I thought it was really cool that you played in the event, too. The format was top notch. Round-robin, then progressive elimination rounds. You really got to see a lot of match-ups. The programs were very nice and made for a great autograph book, too.

As far as merchandise... I am glad to hear that there will be some directly related to the event this year. I was bummed when there weren't any shirts to commemorate the last showing. I think the videos are an excellent idea. I would have some from last year's event, some Accustats...and maybe even TheOne's (John Schmidt) video where he explains each shot in a run to 200+. I have been meaning to get that one.

It would also be nice if every match had somebody keeping score. The hanging score cards were nice, but sometime players had to flip them themselves. I would volunteer to be a scorekeeper if I attend. I would guess there are others with a similar level of interest as well.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:

hey, you should also offer the shirt with the "local 526" on the bottom!

I'll take one no matter whats on it.

Gerry

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mthornto,
The Hilton in East Brunswick must have a shuttle to the airport. I wouldn't think it would be more than $20. The hotel is only about 30 minutes from the hotel depending on the time of day. You can also take the NJtransit to either Woodbridge or New Brunswick then take a cab. The train ride is about 20 minutes then a cab should only be about 15 minutes. I live about 15 minute from the hotel and my wife works about 2 minutes from the hotel. I hope to meet some fellow AZers there.

pool said:
Randy,

I was thrilled to see another 14.1 Championship tournament and am glad that it wasn't a one-time deal either. I figured that due to the building issues, at minimum, they would be offering an attractive situation for a return engagement. I thought it was really cool that you played in the event, too. The format was top notch. Round-robin, then progressive elimination rounds. You really got to see a lot of match-ups. The programs were very nice and made for a great autograph book, too.

As far as merchandise... I am glad to hear that there will be some directly related to the event this year. I was bummed when there weren't any shirts to commemorate the last showing. I think the videos are an excellent idea. I would have some from last year's event, some Accustats...and maybe even TheOne's (John Schmidt) video where he explains each shot in a run to 200+. I have been meaning to get that one.

It would also be nice if every match had somebody keeping score. The hanging score cards were nice, but sometime players had to flip them themselves. I would volunteer to be a scorekeeper if I attend. I would guess there are others with a similar level of interest as well.

I believe there is free admission for those that volunteer for the rigorous taks of keeping score all week. Please forward your info in a pm if you are interested.

rg

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
hey, you should also offer the shirt with the "local 526" on the bottom!

I'll take one no matter whats on it.

Gerry

You'll take a 14.1 shirt and you'll like it! :mad: j/k