Plz e-sign a petition to re-open pool halls

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Hi ole friends! In my neck of the woods they just cracked down on playing pool, again. I'd like to share a link below where you can e-sign a petition to be sent to our N Carolina governor. NC just shut down the ability to play pool in 5 places because of a disgruntled APA players complaint that's totally unrelated to the virus. Please spend one minute to sign 🙏. And please spread the word! Many thanks! This is a safe link and a good cause.

https://www.change.org/p/north-caro...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hi ole friends! In my neck of the woods they just cracked down on playing pool, again. I'd like to share a link below where you can e-sign a petition to be sent to our N Carolina governor. NC just shut down the ability to play pool in 5 places because of a disgruntled APA players complaint that's totally unrelated to the virus. Please spend one minute to sign 🙏. And please spread the word! Many thanks! This is a safe link and a good cause.

https://www.change.org/p/north-caro...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

I would be happy to Matt, nice to see you are still around!

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
signed....

BS politicians who pick and choose who they want to suppress. Pool is always getting the shaft (no pun intended). Politicians hate us.

Side note, they shut down golf early and that was the safest thing you could do at the time.

Vote...

Reactions: pab

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hearsay?

Could you please shed a little more light and some actual facts relating to these disgruntled APA players you referred to?
Without any details, you could be someone that’s possibly just opposed to CDC guidelines and local business closures.

The link you provided didn’t offer any details about the pool room closures being attributable to complaints from local APA.
It does provide a passionate statement but passion does not overrule sensible medical judgement about COVID-19 risks.

Is there another link that explains how and why APA caused pool rooms to close at 5 locations? Otherwise that’s just hearsay.
And you know what’s been said about hearsay......”What you say you may not hear and what you hear, you may not want to say.“

Matt B.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Could you please shed a little more light and some actual facts relating to these disgruntled APA players you referred to?
Without any details, you could be someone that’s possibly just opposed to CDC guidelines and local business closures.

The link you provided didn’t offer any details about the pool room closures being attributable to complaints from local APA.
It does provide a passionate statement but passion does not overrule sensible medical judgement about COVID-19 risks.

Is there another link that explains how and why APA caused pool rooms to close at 5 locations? Otherwise that’s just hearsay.
And you know what’s been said about hearsay......”What you say you may not hear and what you hear, you may not want to say.“

Matt B.

Thanks for the reply Matt. This is what I know from a very reputable pool hall owner in Greensboro. There were multiple calls made by an individual to the authorities. The owner is 99% sure it was a gal that has a history of being difficult. Perhaps she was not welcome back on her former APA team (this is not a slam on APA at all). Gate City billiards was paid a visit by Greensboro Police and ordered that no pool be played. Within the next day to 2 days, the following Greensboro pool halls were ordered to not allow pool - Breakers, Jakes, Shooters and Tailgators.

I hope this answers your questions.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While I do hope that Greensboro reopens its pool rooms ASAP so that the fine people of Greensboro, more than a few of who I've met, can return to enjoying the game they enjoy, this story just doesn't add up.

Step 1 A lady is upset that her league team doesn't want her back.

Step 2 She tells the police and, despite no indications of anything pertinent to COVID, the police decide that this merits police investigation.

Step 3 The police visit the pool hall indicated and, despite seeing nothing of pertinence to careless safety practices with respect to COVID, they shut the room down and all poolrooms in Greensboro.

If that's the story I'm expected to believe, I refuse to do so. I cannot imagine a police investigation resulting solely from a claim concerning the inner politics of a league team, nor can I imagine a closing down of all Greensboro pool rooms in the absence of any evidence that safety measures were not being observed by the poolroom investigated.

Matt, you're one of the good guys in the world of pool, but I must ask "Why were the rooms shut down?"

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
While I do hope that Greensboro reopens its pool rooms ASAP so that the fine people of Greensboro, more than a few of who I've met, can return to enjoying the game they enjoy, this story just doesn't add up.

Step 1 A lady is upset that her league team doesn't want her back.

Step 2 She tells the police and, despite no indications of anything pertinent to COVID, the police decide that this merits police investigation.

Step 3 The police visit the pool hall indicated and, despite seeing nothing of pertinence to careless safety practices with respect to COVID, they shut the room down and all poolrooms in Greensboro.

If that's the story I'm expected to believe, I refuse to do so. I cannot imagine a police investigation resulting solely from a claim concerning the inner politics of a league team, nor can I imagine a closing down of all Greensboro pool rooms in the absence of any evidence that safety measures were not being observed by the poolroom investigated.

Matt, you're one of the good guys in the world of pool, but I must ask "Why were the rooms shut down?"

Stu,
I can't answer for Matt but our governor here just a day ago agreed to let bars open at 30%. Bars with pool tables. Many had been open anyway without problems,
technically they weren't supposed to be under the regulations regarding bowling alleys etc. If I understand it right. If a place has food they can get away with saying
they are a restaurant which at this time is not shut down. So the complaint probably raised health concerns and police were sent. In North Carolina it will take an act of
Congress to undo this. That woman needs to be barred for a long time from all those rooms she effectively may close.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu,
I can't answer for Matt but our governor here just a day ago agreed to let bars open at 30%. Bars with pool tables. Many had been open anyway without problems,
technically they weren't supposed to be under the regulations regarding bowling alleys etc. If I understand it right. If a place has food they can get away with saying
they are a restaurant which at this time is not shut down. So the complaint probably raised health concerns and police were sent. In North Carolina it will take an act of
Congress to undo this. That woman needs to be barred for a long time from all those rooms she effectively may close.

Hi Robin, hope you're well.

... so you're saying that North Carolina pool halls weren't yet allowed to reopen, but some did anyway, pretending to be bars that happened to have pool tables. If that's the case, it's a different story, and if this is why police investigated, it makes sense. Of course, if these are the facts, the poolrooms violated state safety guidelines, and the woman whom you are trying to hold accountable is not in any way to be blamed.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Hi Robin, hope you're well.

... so you're saying that North Carolina pool halls weren't yet allowed to reopen, but some did anyway, pretending to be bars that happened to have pool tables. If that's the case, it's a different story, and if this is why police investigated, it makes sense. Of course, if these are the facts, the poolrooms violated state safety guidelines, and the woman whom you are trying to hold accountable is not in any way to be blamed.

I wouldn't call someone who reported struggling businesses who were using legal technicalities to be open without blame. She inflamed an issue that was on a razors
thin edge and successfully closed pool from businesses that had kitchens, food or bars.

The businesses themselves might or might not have enforced masks but I have no way of knowing that because I've been home since this began. I wish everyone well and hope
they can hang on but stuff like this makes it near impossible for them.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I wouldn't call someone who reported struggling businesses who were using legal technicalities to be open without blame.

That's where we disagree. I understand that the survival of many a small business is threatened by the policies and restrictions that states have imposed, but those businesses that try to subtly sidestep the rules are not, in my opinion, without blame, as they compromise public safety. Every one of us knows business proprietors facing very difficult times, and we ache for them and wish them better times, but they have a societal responsibility, too.

Having not played pool even once in the last seven months, I'm aching to have the pool hall that's just 200 yards from where I live reopen, but not until New York State deems it safe. I badly want to go to the movies, and go to sporting events, and also go to concerts, but the state does not deem such activities safe quite yet. Should a movie theater that serves food reopen as a restaurant that also shows movies? No, it shouldn't and if they do, I hope the state shuts them down.

The state works off far better information than I'll ever be privy to so, from my vantage point, letting them run the show is the way to go, whether or not I agree or disagree with every last detail of their policies.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in CA, the vast majority of pool rooms operate under a state liquor license.
That places them in the category of a bar even if they have a restaurant within.

Bars & large assemblies have proven to be, based upon analysis of new cases, a
excellent environment for spreading the virus. It’s been confirmed from what has
occurred in college towns all over America with bars reopening, frat parties and
other social gatherings. It’s been borne out by the resurgence in cities across the
U.S. that have lessened their restrictions to only witness a resurgence in new cases.

So in CA, our governor has strict guidelines regulating the three different phases for
reopening. Different types of businesses fall within different phases but each is linked
to the actual new infection rate in that city. You cannot progress from phase one to two
until you satisfy specific criteria and the same applies gong from two to three. After
being allowed to reopen, if the new case infection rate exceeds the guidelines, you will
have to adjust and make changes which can include up to sheltering in place over again.

People need to realize you cannot corral a herd of wild horses until you first build one.
Right now this virus is running rampant throughout the nation. It is not going away soon.
So the virus needs to be contained, I.e., corralled, before it can ever be conquered. Until
there is a national, consistent strategy, not 50 different state plans, time is not our side. It
favors the virus that will continue to spread & could morph after a vaccine becomes available.

Pool halls in CA are a natural environment for people to spread the virus easily. None of the
cities where pool halls are closed are meeting the guidelines for reopening. The last thing we
can afford to do is return to “Go” and start all over again with a new roll of the dice. The death
rate has plateaued and the number is horrible. There are going to be people that readers know
right now that aren’t going to be here for the holidays. That’s a hard thought to accept but it’s true.

Unless and until there is a cohesive, standardized approach used in all 50 states and U.S. territories
that is mandated by the Federal Government as a national emergency, there will be readers of this
thread that know someone that does not have the virus now but will get infected and might die or else
suffer greatly during recovery which can dramatically alter their life’s path for even young people. The
virus can have serious health consequences for survivors so absolutely, before the year ends, some
readers will recall this thread and think to themselves, “ I just never imagined.” or “The virus is very real.”

In Fresno, we still have lots of people that you’ll see in the evening, not so much in the daytime, going
around without face masks which are mandatory. How the hell can pool halls reopen if our local new
infection rate remains too high to qualify for reopening? Until people cooperate & obey, hard times ahead.

Reactions: sjm

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Maybe, just maybe the local police department met with a group of pool owners and an agreement of sorts was made regarding safe procedures and allowing play - as long as there were no complaints. Maybe, just maybe there was some consent with some of the liquor board enforcement people. Maybe, just maybe word got out that a complaint could shut it down. Which is what happened. But that's not for me to say publically 🙄

We can go to the pool hall - play darts, play Golden Tee, drink at the bar, have a hot dog, but we can't play pool. And businesses are getting crushed.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
If you believe a patron can make their own choice as whether it's safe to play pool and support struggling business - I ask you to sign the petition. It takes less than a minute on a trusted website. If you have any reservations - then don't sign. Pretty simple choice. Thanks for listening. Matt

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golden Tee......have the owner go to Costco and get a giant screen hdtv.
Last month Costco was selling 82” Samsung sets for $1284 & 70” sets for $700.
Slap one of those on the Golden Tee Console & golf away with realistic settings.
Or put in a golf simulator and charge.....move a couple of pool tables.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Politicians tend to notice political donations, more then signatures on a patition. Your petition idea is not a bad idea.

But honeslty an envelope with $100.00 bills stuff in it would get your cause more attention from people in power who could open pool rooms.

This is the reason big Pharma, Google, GM, Ford, and other make donations 100's of Million of dollars annually to politicians, for their attention, and votes.

We have the best people in public office money can buy, LOL.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Here in CA, the vast majority of pool rooms operate under a state liquor license.
That places them in the category of a bar even if they have a restaurant within.

Bars & large assemblies have proven to be, based upon analysis of new cases, a
excellent environment for spreading the virus. It’s been confirmed from what has
occurred in college towns all over America with bars reopening, frat parties and
other social gatherings. It’s been borne out by the resurgence in cities across the
U.S. that have lessened their restrictions to only witness a resurgence in new cases.

So in CA, our governor has strict guidelines regulating the three different phases for
reopening. Different types of businesses fall within different phases but each is linked
to the actual new infection rate in that city. You cannot progress from phase one to two
until you satisfy specific criteria and the same applies gong from two to three. After
being allowed to reopen, if the new case infection rate exceeds the guidelines, you will
have to adjust and make changes which can include up to sheltering in place over again.

People need to realize you cannot corral a herd of wild horses until you first build one.
Right now this virus is running rampant throughout the nation. It is not going away soon.
So the virus needs to be contained, I.e., corralled, before it can ever be conquered. Until
there is a national, consistent strategy, not 50 different state plans, time is not our side. It
favors the virus that will continue to spread & could morph after a vaccine becomes available.

Pool halls in CA are a natural environment for people to spread the virus easily. None of the
cities where pool halls are closed are meeting the guidelines for reopening. The last thing we
can afford to do is return to “Go” and start all over again with a new roll of the dice. The death
rate has plateaued and the number is horrible. There are going to be people that readers know
right now that aren’t going to be here for the holidays. That’s a hard thought to accept but it’s true.

Unless and until there is a cohesive, standardized approach used in all 50 states and U.S. territories
that is mandated by the Federal Government as a national emergency, there will be readers of this
thread that know someone that does not have the virus now but will get infected and might die or else
suffer greatly during recovery which can dramatically alter their life’s path for even young people. The
virus can have serious health consequences for survivors so absolutely, before the year ends, some
readers will recall this thread and think to themselves, “ I just never imagined.” or “The virus is very real.”

In Fresno, we still have lots of people that you’ll see in the evening, not so much in the daytime, going
around without face masks which are mandatory. How the hell can pool halls reopen if our local new
infection rate remains too high to qualify for reopening? Until people cooperate & obey, hard times ahead.

No offense, but you live in the most fuked up state in the country. Not to mention the survival rates for folks infected from age 1 to 69 is 99.7 %.

But put on your mask and hide, because Cali has been doing that for 6 months and the are still a mess. But it was a mess before this and why folks are leaving the state in droves.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That's where we disagree. I understand that the survival of many a small business is threatened by the policies and restrictions that states have imposed, but those businesses that try to subtly sidestep the rules are not, in my opinion, without blame, as they compromise public safety. Every one of us knows business proprietors facing very difficult times, and we ache for them and wish them better times, but they have a societal responsibility, too.

Having not played pool even once in the last seven months, I'm aching to have the pool hall that's just 200 yards from where I live reopen, but not until New York State deems it safe. I badly want to go to the movies, and go to sporting events, and also go to concerts, but the state does not deem such activities safe quite yet. Should a movie theater that serves food reopen as a restaurant that also shows movies? No, it shouldn't and if they do, I hope the state shuts them down.

The state works off far better information than I'll ever be privy to so, from my vantage point, letting them run the show is the way to go, whether or not I agree or disagree with every last detail of their policies.

Quite the obedient little servant aren't you

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite the obedient little servant aren't you

My local place, Mile High Billiards in Arvada, CO, has been open for weeks, and I've gone and played a good half dozen times. I feel bad for those of you that live in places where that isn't allowed.