pre-shot routine

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've half-wondered about this..

so (back when I was shooting pool- thanks pandemic)
my psr was/is basically this:
-look at the shot from all angles I feel is necessary
sometimes I walk around the table, sometimes not
-breathe and take care of my cue, chalk etc.
-get down on the shot
sometimes I stay down in that place
often I move around, shuffle my feet, etc.
until I feel comfortable
and I suppose that's the point for me
I do whatever I need to do to feel comfy with the shot
-and then I shoot

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with this
but there is obviously consistency lacking in the details
curious what you all think?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
-get down on the shot
until I feel comfortable
Do more of this while standing - work on already being in the correct position by the time you're down on the shot.

"Reverse engineering" your stance might help - once you've fidgeted your way into the stance you want, get up from it in steps: lift your bridge hand and torso, notice how your feet are positioned, move your front foot back, etc.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying that your way is not the best for you but what I've observed is that pro players normally do not move their feet once they bend over. An exception is when they are in a very awkward stretch and they may continue to adjust into as solid a stance as they can achieve.

If you have to move around like that it may mean that your head was not in the shot line as you approached the shot.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do more of this while standing - work on already being in the correct position by the time you're down on the shot.

"Reverse engineering" your stance might help - once you've fidgeted your way into the stance you want, get up from it in steps: lift your bridge hand and torso, notice how your feet are positioned, move your front foot back, etc.

pj
chgo

hey, thanks pat. what smart advice..I'll be sure to try that.
if I ever get to shoot pool again
I'll record myself pool-vogueing, see how sexy my stance is(n't?)

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying that your way is not the best for you but what I've observed is that pro players normally do not move their feet once they bend over. An exception is when they are in a very awkward stretch and they may continue to adjust into as solid a stance as they can achieve.

If you have to move around like that it may mean that your head was not in the shot line as you approached the shot.

right..I definitely do not see other players squirming around like I do
focusing on getting in line with the shot while upright is a nice tip..thanks bob
ironically, I usually do well when in awkward positions
probably too much practice shooting that way...:p

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever watch Johnny Archer play? I watched a Accu-Stats dvd last night of his match against Efren at the Sands Regency tournament in Reno.

The announcer at one point even said he was fidgety.

r/DCP

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I've found it's best to walk into the shot with your eyesight locked on the target. Everything should line up pretty naturally then. Many will disagree with this, but after I feel locked in and not moving, I will sometimes focus on the cue ball rather than the object ball. It does depend on the shot and how accurate and hard I need to hit the cue ball. It works for me, so therefore I do it.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote OP:
-get down on the shot

There should be a whole lot more between those two steps. Think about it. Take a guess.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote OP:
-get down on the shot

There should be a whole lot more between those two steps. Think about it. Take a guess.

sandwich! sometimes I forget when I'm hungry..:grin:
I kid..I also aim and stuff, too, I swear...

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found it's best to walk into the shot with your eyesight locked on the target. Everything should line up pretty naturally then. Many will disagree with this, but after I feel locked in and not moving, I will sometimes focus on the cue ball rather than the object ball. It does depend on the shot and how accurate and hard I need to hit the cue ball. It works for me, so therefore I do it.

hi jason, are you saying you shoot cb last?

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
hi jason, are you saying you shoot cb last?

I'm saying I look at the cue ball and not the object ball when stoking on certain shots. For example, when the object ball is not difficult to make, but a precise draw shot is crucial. Or maybe a long bank shot with English where spin and speed are more important than the exact angle. I feel I can trust my set up enough to look at only the cue ball. I think most people look at the object ball.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh oh, here we go.

We are about to debate the age old CB or OB last scenario for the 47,513th time here on AZB.

My vote has always been CB last. Makes no sense - none at all - to look at the OB last.

r/DCP

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saying I look at the cue ball and not the object ball when stoking on certain shots. For example, when the object ball is not difficult to make, but a precise draw shot is crucial. Or maybe a long bank shot with English where spin and speed are more important than the exact angle. I feel I can trust my set up enough to look at only the cue ball. I think most people look at the object ball.

gotcha thanks, I can dig it

Uh oh, here we go.

We are about to debate the age old CB or OB last scenario for the 47,513th time here on AZB.

My vote has always been CB last. Makes no sense - none at all - to look at the OB last.

r/DCP

we don't have to debate anything..I just asked the guy a question
if you want to talk about it, feel free
thanks to the instructors here
I got a lot of good stuff out of this thread already

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I don't think anyone would take your vote over almost any other poster.

It makes sense to a lot of people, your failure to understand it speaks of you not them.

Uh oh, here we go.

r/DCP

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Work in progress...always.

I watch and learn from matches on youtube and also instructional videos. I take away from them what I like and try to make it work. I also learned a lot from Randy G's pool school back in 2007. I play golf as well and I also work on my pre-shot routine. Both sports are very much the same. Learning to quiet my thoughts, breathing deeply and focusing on what I am trying to do has been paramount. I treat every shot with the same respect and due diligence. You strengthen that which you focus on.

THINKING/ANALYZING:
1. Check the angle of the shot.
2. Look ahead at the next 2 balls to see how to get position.
3. Decide where my cue ball should end up.(Speed/spin)
4. Walk around and visualize the shot and the path of the cue ball.

PREPARATION:
5. Determine aim line by standing behind the shot. Most of my weight is on my right foot and my body is turned. I do this by holding my cue in my shooting hand at the balance point. I let the cue hang so that it is level and I use my feet/body to line up the cue to the aim line.
6. Visualize the shot and warm up strokes so I can feel the cue action that I want to use.

EXECUTE THE SHOT:
7. Step into the shot and place my bridge hand on the aim line. I am trying to be careful to keep my eyes, bridge and cue on the line. If everything looks good I fall into full stance.
8. Address the cue ball before taking warm up strokes. I point the cue tip where I want to strike the cue ball. Open bridge for most shots. Closed bridge for long draw shots and the break.
9. Take warm up strokes. Not too many. Just a few to get the feel and make sure my tip is going to the spot I am trying to hit on the cue ball. During back strokes I am looking at the spot on the cue ball. I look up at the object ball on the forward stroke. Only sometimes do I look at the cue ball last. The break, jump shots and rail shots. Also on very close CB/OB shots and bridging over balls.
10. I am ready. Pull the cue back smoothly, pause and bring my back hand to my chest. The forward stroke is accelerating. Not a jab or a punch. Those are for jump and curve shots.
11. Pause while checking to see what happens and where my tip stops.
12. Stand and analyze the result. Nothing good/bad. Just stay calm/composed.

I know that seems like a lot, but it usually only takes less than a minute. As I said in the beginning, I learn a lot from others. Trial and error is also a great teacher. Keep working at it and good luck with your process. Most of all have fun.
I am not a certified teacher, but I will gladly try to help anyone if requested.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I've half-wondered about this..

so (back when I was shooting pool- thanks pandemic)
my psr was/is basically this:
-look at the shot from all angles I feel is necessary
sometimes I walk around the table, sometimes not
-get down on the shot
until I feel comfortable
-and then I shoot

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with this
but there is obviously consistency lacking in the details
curious what you all think?

Since pros step in without a shuffle, I would ask what aim technique you are using and where you place your head, eyes and feet when assessing the shot from the erect position, before you step into the stance.

A consistent aim rubric and head position will help you find your comfortable stance. In general, right-handed players can then move their right foot to bring their vision center over the line of choice.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Makes no sense - none at all - to look at the OB last.
Apparently lots of things that are common wisdom and practice "make no sense" to you.

Given your extensive knowledge and expertise (demonstrated here daily), it must be everybody else that's wrong...

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning to quiet my thoughts, breathing deeply and focusing on what I am trying to do has been paramount. I treat every shot with the same respect and due diligence. You strengthen that which you focus on.

7. Step into the shot and place my bridge hand on the aim line. I am trying to be careful to keep my eyes, bridge and cue on the line. If everything looks good I fall into full stance.

12. Stand and analyze the result. Nothing good/bad. Just stay calm/composed.

As I said in the beginning, I learn a lot from others. Trial and error is also a great teacher. Keep working at it and good luck with your process. Most of all have fun.

hey big C
my favorite parts- good stuff!
thanks for the shout~

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since pros step in without a shuffle, I would ask what aim technique you are using and where you place your head, eyes and feet when assessing the shot from the erect position, before you step into the stance.

A consistent aim rubric and head position will help you find your comfortable stance. In general, right-handed players can then move their right foot to bring their vision center over the line of choice.

thanks
I don't use any specific technique that I know of
I figure I was born with some sense, and found a bit more along the way
still a long way to go, but
spending time shooting, spending time here, and thinking, watching
being conscious of the way balls and table react, how spin works, etc.
has helped a lot

good footwork helps to shoot good stick
sounds like we agree there