2019 World 14.1 Tournament

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
But that is a bit of a cliche, right?

There are literally only three people with a chance of winning this, Hohman, Schmidt, or SVB. Then there are three other pros, Archer, Deuel, and Eberle. That's it, plus a couple of semi retired old pros and short stops/regional guys.

I couldn't imagine being a pro and going to this event and sitting here for a week for what should be a 2 day tournament given that player list.

This is no Championship. The guy ought to just to cancel the event if he can't get a paid set of committed pros by a certain drop date.

The streaming charge is just an insulting (and clueless) money grab given the absurdity of the round robins, etc. I know I'll go over there Thursday night and some Dragon clown will try to harass me to buy an overpriced ticket to watch one round and have some crappy chair on the sideline. I probably won't go back for Friday & Saturday if that is the case.

Very well said.. People wonder why 14.1 is in the dumps. However Dragon is trying to charge about the highest rates for a stream out there. Unfortunately without someone taking everything over and making it an official World Championship that results in the winner getting a World title this event is basically done from here out. As a 300+ ball runner that loves the game I wouldn’t watch this event for free. As for the players of the event most of them need any little scraps of money they can get but won’t be much left over after Dragon gets his .

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This case is not better than nothing IMO. All marketing is unethical. They uses same stuff what virus and spam sites do. Shame.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you mean; can you explain more?

I think it got lost in the Finnish translation.

For one, their posters and posts and stuff like that are close to being "click bait". They insinuate that players are going to be there and they aren't. They show a poster that could lead most people to think that those players will be there but really those are just past champs.

They also used to have an email list that you couldn't unsubscribe to and I put them on an auto delete upstream on the gmail server itself. No idea if those still come out or not.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to side with Bobby on this one. I've heard the same thing he's saying about backing certain players and placing them advantageously, from 2 pro players, one of whom was advertised as going to play this year. Was a bit stunned because he said a few years ago he'd never play in one of Charlies tournaments again.
As it turns out, he's not playing, so I have to assume Williams saying he was going to play was an outright fabrication. How he continues to suck rooms into hosting this event is baffling.
One guy, who plays every year, is Hohmann. I know he loves 14.1 and is thought of as a great guy but maybe it's time he thought a little about doing what's right.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calcutta..??

I heard they had a player auction. Never heard of ANY WC having a calcutta. Kinda lo-rent in my book. The whole deal looks kinda bush-league to me.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friendly, very nice post from John Schmidt's very supportive wife, (seen on Facebook this AM):
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Schmidt's wife understandably proud of hubby.JPG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arnaldo

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I mentioned this in a thread last year, but I would love to see the World Championship revived in the old format from 40's and prior. These events struggle to get much in the way of sponsorship money, so a MIH style round-robin tournament is probably the best way to do it.

Let's say an 8 player round-robin, that is comprised of the American 14.1 Champ, European 14.1 Champ, Defending Champ, Runner Up, Wild Card and whatever other regional 14.1 Champions that makes sense. The Make It Happen 14.1 tournaments were a lot of fun, you got to see your favourite player play multiple times and every match was with two top players.

I used to really enjoy the dragon 14.1 events in the late 00's and early 10's, but they've fallen well short of where they were when the top players were actually competing in them. I think the last decent one was the year Appleton ran 200 and out.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mentioned this in a thread last year, but I would love to see the World Championship revived in the old format from 40's and prior. These events struggle to get much in the way of sponsorship money, so a MIH style round-robin tournament is probably the best way to do it.

Let's say an 8 player round-robin, that is comprised of the American 14.1 Champ, European 14.1 Champ, Defending Champ, Runner Up, Wild Card and whatever other regional 14.1 Champions that makes sense. The Make It Happen 14.1 tournaments were a lot of fun, you got to see your favourite player play multiple times and every match was with two top players.

I used to really enjoy the dragon 14.1 events in the late 00's and early 10's, but they've fallen well short of where they were when the top players were actually competing in them. I think the last decent one was the year Appleton ran 200 and out.

I'd like to never see a round robin again. They are just dumb.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not a bad idea but there's just too much that needs to happen for that kind of event to actually happen.

personally, I would love to see something like a prize fight setup between two players, the champion and the challenger, in a race to 500 or even 1,000 to determine who the 14.1 champion of the world is. And then that person can be challenged every 6 months or so. Maybe put up $1000 for the match and try to get some sponsors to put more money for the players and promoters.

As a side note, I think someone should consider buying the rights to the US Open 14.1 name and try to start up something with that. I have a weird feeling that this will be the last year of Charlie Williams' world event and then we will have the American 14.1 as the only major 14.1 championship in the US.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at their match scheduling I wonder if the pool hall told them all matches had to be done by 6:00 so they don't lose their regular evening business. Guess I won't go over Thursday evening. Might check the quarters and semis out on Friday as I got the day off.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I used to really enjoy the dragon 14.1 events in the late 00's and early 10's, but they've fallen well short of where they were when the top players were actually competing in them. I think the last decent one was the year Appleton ran 200 and out.

Yes, it is a shame what has become of this event in a few short years. That Appleton 200 year was 2013. Here are the number of entrants from 2010 to this year: 48, 64, 48, 48, 48, 56, 48, 32, 30, 29 (or 30). And the number of players this year that really belong in something touted as a "world" event is fewer than ever.

BUT -- that doesn't mean there will be no good, interesting, well played matches this year, matches that should be of interest to 14.1 fans. Hohmann, Schmidt, Van Boening, Deuel, Archer, Eberle. Kennedy -- quite a bit of pool talent there. And I don't know how Storm plays these days. And a few other guys could be spoilers.

Last year they spent 7 days with 30 players. At least they reduced it to 6 days this year, with evenings off.;)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... As a side note, I think someone should consider buying the rights to the US Open 14.1 name and try to start up something with that. ...

Mark Griffin owns those rights, and he has been holding that event for several years now without much success (in terms of entrants). The reigning champ is SVB.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin owns those rights, and he has been holding that event for several years now without much success (in terms of entrants). The reigning champ is SVB.

Those attempts in that CT room and at Griff's in Vegas have been flops mostly. Too bad it couldn't be more successful.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Yes, it is a shame what has become of this event in a few short years. That Appleton 200 year was 2013. Here are the number of entrants from 2010 to this year: 48, 64, 48, 48, 48, 56, 48, 32, 30, 29 (or 30). And the number of players this year that really belong in something touted as a "world" event is fewer than ever.

BUT -- that doesn't mean there will be no good, interesting, well played matches this year, matches that should be of interest to 14.1 fans. Hohmann, Schmidt, Van Boening, Deuel, Archer, Eberle. Kennedy -- quite a bit of pool talent there. And I don't know how Storm plays these days. And a few other guys could be spoilers.

Last year they spent 7 days with 30 players. At least they reduced it to 6 days this year, with evenings off.;)

For sure, there will be some great match ups. I would enjoy watching it, if not for the price. A number of years ago I would have argued that the dragon tournaments were tough enough to be world championships, but sadly no longer. The American 14.1 event has far and away dwarfed the dragon event in terms of talent pool.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Not a bad idea but there's just too much that needs to happen for that kind of event to actually happen.

personally, I would love to see something like a prize fight setup between two players, the champion and the challenger, in a race to 500 or even 1,000 to determine who the 14.1 champion of the world is. And then that person can be challenged every 6 months or so. Maybe put up $1000 for the match and try to get some sponsors to put more money for the players and promoters.

As a side note, I think someone should consider buying the rights to the US Open 14.1 name and try to start up something with that. I have a weird feeling that this will be the last year of Charlie Williams' world event and then we will have the American 14.1 as the only major 14.1 championship in the US.

It's not totally out of the realm of possibility. You'd probably need someone like Accu-Stats willing to do it and WPA willing to break with convention and grant the title of World Championship. It looks like first prize was 5k for the MIH and perhaps with additional sponsor it could be driven up higher?

A challenge match would be fun too. It would be great to get them playing longer matches and increase the potential of big runs in a match format.