Pall Mall Cigarettes and Pool?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Can you guess what Pall Mall cigarettes and pool have in common? You have to go back a ways in time to make the connection - or to find a Pall Mall smoker.

pj <- just Googlearned it myself
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pall Mall is lawn billiards.
Yes (that was a short quiz), and also the name of a fashionable street in London where they played lawn billiards long ago. The cigarettes were named after the street, probably for the fashionable association alone, I'm guessing with no awareness of the game connection.

Maybe that ancient connection could be a new angle to get RJ Reynolds interested in sponsorship.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The 2012 Olympic Marathon passed both Pall Mall and one of the billiard rooms of London.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes (that was a short quiz), and also the name of a fashionable street in London where they played lawn billiards long ago. The cigarettes were named after the street, probably for the fashionable association alone, I'm guessing with no awareness of the game connection.

Maybe that ancient connection could be a new angle to get RJ Reynolds interested in sponsorship.

pj
chgo

Lawn billiards - isn’t that like croquet?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Lawn billiards - isn’t that like croquet?
I think croquet and “table croquet” grew out of it. The first cue sticks were “maces” or “mauls” similar to croquet mallets.

Unless I don’t know WTF I’m talking about.

pj <- caveat emptor
chgo

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In hoc signo vinces
Outstanding and they are mild.

where particular people congregate.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when I was a kid, my uncle who was a WWII paratrooper, used to smoke those. I was always fascinated that he could talk and talk with that thing in his mouth and the ash would grow to be about 1-2" and never fall off!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Can you guess what Pall Mall cigarettes and pool have in common? You have to go back a ways in time to make the connection - or to find a Pall Mall smoker.

pj <- just Googlearned it myself
chgo

Well, my mom smoked Pall Mall and was married to a pool room owner, does that count ;) lol

She finally switched to Viceroy, not sure why, but the damage was already done. RIP Mom.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Fine 0ld Game!

Bring back Lawn Darts, the sport of dangerously drunk people. ;)

One team in the front yard, one in the back, and over the house they went when we were kids. The adults made us stop playing after looking at a dart, afraid we were going to hit a car!

Hu

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
One team in the front yard, one in the back, and over the house they went when we were kids. The adults made us stop playing after looking at a dart, afraid we were going to hit a car!

Hu

Yup., Jarts, as they were officially called on the box.Got real popular in the 70s. Had one hit my foot once. Thought it was broken, but just a bad bruise, rubbed some dirt on it and kept playing.

But, thousand of kids were injured from these blunt force flying missiles. Yes, they were actually called missiles on the box. When someone's kid was killed, that father fought them till the game was finally banned.

I mean, who would ever have thought that throwing heavy lead weighted missiles up in the air, in the backyard, with friends, family and kids walking in the area was good idea?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the original ones weren't blunt

Yup., Jarts, as they were officially called on the box.Got real popular in the 70s. Had one hit my foot once. Thought it was broken, but just a bad bruise, rubbed some dirt on it and kept playing.

But, thousand of kids were injured from these blunt force flying missiles. Yes, they were actually called missiles on the box. When someone's kid was killed, that father fought them till the game was finally banned.

I mean, who would ever have thought that throwing heavy lead weighted missiles up in the air, in the backyard, with friends, family and kids walking in the area was good idea?

The original lawn darts were close to two feet long and had a steel nose and an inch and a half to two inch spike on the end of it.

Hu

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well as a kid smoking your stolen Old Gold, Pall Mall or Camel we would "play" with peashooters. These were not loaded with candyass peas, no this was North Jersey, drawing blood was king. You would take a cotton swab, they used wooded sticks back then and pull the cotton off one end. Then take a very small sewing needle and back it into the stick. Voila, blowgun dart.

You then played a game sort of like, capture the flag. Shooting the enemy, as you worked you way to their goal. Any kid that ran off crying was considered "dead" otherwise it was just a flesh wound and you could still fight. We all seemed to survive with our eyes and spirit intact.

My mother never suspected what became of all those missing needles.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
She finally switched to Viceroy, not sure why, but the damage was already done. RIP Mom.

Remember Raleigh Coupons. Remember what you got if you saved 5000 coupons. You got CANCER! Sorry to hear about your Mom. My brother loved Luckies. They hated him. RIP Nate. Miss you.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

hahahahaha good one

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Well as a kid smoking your stolen Old Gold, Pall Mall or Camel we would "play" with peashooters. These were not loaded with candyass peas, no this was North Jersey, drawing blood was king. You would take a cotton swab, they used wooded sticks back then and pull the cotton off one end. Then take a very small sewing needle and back it into the stick. Voila, blowgun dart.

You then played a game sort of like, capture the flag. Shooting the enemy, as you worked you way to their goal. Any kid that ran off crying was considered "dead" otherwise it was just a flesh wound and you could still fight. We all seemed to survive with our eyes and spirit intact.

My mother never suspected what became of all those missing needles.

You didn't have a kid in the neighborhood by the name Albert Fish did you? It would explain where all those needles went:thumbup:
Jason