Share your "Light Bulb" stories

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning how to use all those diamonds.

When I was first shown spot-on-the-wall aiming with different sized tables.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had two recently. I have read and tried to learn a few different diamond systems over the years. When I got Tor's zero-x system, it clicked instantly.

The other time was when I learned the effects of english on bank shots. I'm pretty sure I picked it up from Banking with the Beard, but can't be certain. I can't begin to tell you how many more banks I've made with english that wouldn't go on the natural angle.

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a few but my most recent was when I went down the basement and applied a few of the tips that :CREEDO" mentioned in his post. Yep, I like it! Nice thread.:cool:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the student sees thousands of possible shots, the Expert sees only a few.

Throughout our pool adventures, learning, and travels, many of us have experienced what I refer to as "Light Bulb" moments. These are discrete moments when something just clicks and a sense of excitement develops, almost like euphoria. You know, like a kid in a candy shop or a puppy at his first fire hydrant.

These periods of time have an everlasting effect and we seem to grasp something that will impact our future play, passion, and love of the game. The "Light Bulb" illuminates the way to a new found path.

Although we likely have had multiple experiences in life which have influenced our game, I invite you to choose at least one and share so that others may hopefully learn and develop a new experience of their own.

I'll start this thread with a recent "Light Bulb" of my own...

A week or so ago, I received CJ Wiley's TOI DVD in the mail. Incidentally, it came with a nice personalized autographed picture of CJ and the lovely Mary Avina which made a nice addition to the wall in my gameroom that is flooded with pictures and autographed memorabilia. Being a recreational player who enjoys the occasional tournament, I do not leave the house much to play elsewhere. I have the luxury of owning a 9’ Diamond Pro which sits in my second floor gameroom with ample space surrounding. Anyway, I began to practice with TOI and almost instantly, the “Light Bulb” went off. It was a new found technique and shots just seemed easier. After a week’s worth of practice at an hour or so daily, I made it out to the local pool hall, Buffalo Billiards, which is about 45 minutes from my home. As usual, when I decide to venture out, I make my good friend, teacher, and mentor aware. He usually shows up and obliges with some friendly 9-ball. We usually critique shots and help each other out during play. Although, my help is generally nowhere what he offers to my C-D level of play, I am able to grasp and explain concepts as well as help with his mental game. Being a lesser player to him, I am usually lucky to capture a game or 2 in a race to 7. This night was different; I was actually pocketing balls and even won a couple of extra games. I must say, this method that CJ offers provided a confidence boost which has definitely elevated my game. After confidently pocketing a shot with TOI and getting the desired cue ball reaction, the new catch phrase is “T-O-I baby, T-O-I”.

Jamie “DocHutch”

Yes, the Geometry of the pool table is perfect and this is why it aligns to the human subconscious at a profound level.

Through the dawn of time we have been attracted to Pyramids, Triangles, Squares, Rectangles, Pentagons, Octagons, and various other geometric shapes....they were mysteriously "hard wired" into our minds thousands, maybe even millions of years ago. No one knows why or how this happened it's obvious in some of the oldest recorded architecture and manuscripts.

I began to realize the pool table was aligned geometrically perfect, however, it took many years to understand that the Spheres were the Key. When I was playing at the cornerstone of my career my main objective was to "become the cue ball," this is how I connected to the Spherical part of the Geometry, which was the Key that unlocked the Inside Secret. At this level the player stops "playing the Game," and the Game starts to play though the player.

At this level the Game is the Teacher, and the ultimate learning takes place when Teacher and Student become one. In pocket billiards the student sees thousands of possible shots, the Expert sees only a few because the Game is communicating {the shots} rather than the player choosing {the shots}.

images

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My light bulb story is this! I thought I was a "lead singer", so I just held up a light bulb, and sure enough, the world revolved around me, and screwed it right in.
End of story.

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I accepted it was just a game and there a whole bunch of other things to spend time on before you die.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I accepted it was just a game and there a whole bunch of other things to spend time on before you die.

Aahhh....you might be in the wrong place. We here at AZ understand that pool is much more than just a game, it's a way of life!

There's nothing more important than pool and nothing will stop me from reading about it...Oh...hold on a second my boss wants me to get to work and my wife is calling about the kids.:thumbup:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Footwork. I was amazed at how little I paid attention to this all these years, but watch the top players. They ALL position their feet the same way everytime. I always thought I did, too, but was surprised to find I didn't. That correction alone raised my average two balls. If you don't get your feet right while you're up aligning the shot, then you're leaning into or away from it and introducing a higher chance of unwanted lateral movement in your stroke...not good.

TOI. It's all been said here, I won't repeat it...but it's the most powerful thing I've learned in 30 years of playing. For those that are struggling, remember that a little bit goes a long way...I only use about a quarter tip of inside for most shots and BINGO! From reading some posts here, sounds like folks might be overdoing the inside and losing their perspective on the shot alignment. Just think of TOI as the "new centerball" and go from there.

Firm Bridge Hand. DIG those fingers into the slate...not so hard you tremble, but very firm. You'd be surprised how much your bridge hand moves side to side during a shot, but you probably didn't notice. A shaky bridge is the biggest problem with hitting the CB where you intend. I put in 4 1/2 hours last night and the tips of my index and pinkie fingers are actually sore today...but man, was I playing good! Try digging in with your bridge hand/fingers and tell me you don't see an immediate improvement!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
they will, with out realizing it, set their entire left side differently

Footwork. I was amazed at how little I paid attention to this all these years, but watch the top players. They ALL position their feet the same way everytime. I always thought I did, too, but was surprised to find I didn't. That correction alone raised my average two balls. If you don't get your feet right while you're up aligning the shot, then you're leaning into or away from it and introducing a higher chance of unwanted lateral movement in your stroke...not good.

[B]TOI. It's all been said here, I won't repeat it...but it's the most powerful thing I've learned in 30 years of playing. [/B] For those that are struggling, remember that a little bit goes a long way...I only use about a quarter tip of inside for most shots and BINGO! From reading some posts here, sounds like folks might be overdoing the inside and losing their perspective on the shot alignment. Just think of TOI as the "new centerball" and go from there.

Firm Bridge Hand. DIG those fingers into the slate...not so hard you tremble, but very firm. You'd be surprised how much your bridge hand moves side to side during a shot, but you probably didn't notice. A shaky bridge is the biggest problem with hitting the CB where you intend. I put in 4 1/2 hours last night and the tips of my index and pinkie fingers are actually sore today...but man, was I playing good! Try digging in with your bridge hand/fingers and tell me you don't see an immediate improvement!

Yes, it's also valuable to understand the difference between the how the right foot effects the right side of the body and the left foot effects the left side of the body. I know even advanced players that set their right foot the same every time, yet let the left foot find a "comfortable" position. Playing consistently is no about comfort, it's about doing the same thing every time you shoot.

When a player doesn't set their left foot perfectly parallel to the line of the shot (or similar as long as it's consistent) they will, with out realizing it, set their entire left side differently. This may just be by an inch or so, and in a Game like pool that has so small a margin of error, an inch can be 'the difference that makes the difference" between winning and not winning a match or session. 'The Game is the Teacher'

GriffinG

dogger of balls
Silver Member
when I started finding my "line" for the shot before I even got down and then lowered my body and cue right down onto that line. I had spent years just getting down on the ball and making small adjustments with my arms to compensate for how I was lined up. what a terrible thing to do! this made my game go up significantly.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Post!!! This is something many players should read very carefully.

when I started finding my "line" for the shot before I even got down and then lowered my body and cue right down onto that line. I had spent years just getting down on the ball and making small adjustments with my arms to compensate for how I was lined up. what a terrible thing to do! this made my game go up significantly.

Great Post!!! This is something many players should read very carefully. Establishing all your body angles before you go down on the shot line is critical, and essential to playing consistent pool. Another key component is standing the same distance from the cue ball consistently.

Controlling your distance from the cue ball also translates to the length of your bridge and if you struggle with your bridge there's a good chance the root of the problem is in your feet, and the distance you're standing from the cue ball.

At the highest levels of performance these two factors will influence one another, either in a positive way, or it's bound to be negative. Keeping your right hand (that holds your cue) touching your hip is the method I'd advise to accomplish this precise {distance} connection to the cue ball.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
What? No "how many... does it take to screw in that Light Bulb" jokes?

:p
-Sean

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
OK Sean.

How many Californians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None. Californians screw in hot tubs.

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Energy Saver...

.. my light bulb is recent and was an energy saver... started dimly and got brighter!
9 months ago took the two day foundation course from Stan Shuffett and since then I have practiced my fundamentals and CTE ProOne..

I have formed a consistent relationship with the cue ball prior to moving into address position..
I have an understanding of my movements into center cue ball (I did not realize I did not “know” where it was but I did not)...
Knowing where center “is” has made playing off center, when needed, MUCH more consistent....

during this time my game made significant improvements... then about a month ago I visited with Stan again ... and the light got brighter...

Bottom-line my experience is similar to others on the thread, IF you are open to learning from others or trying new things that at first seem dimly lit or odd to your current understanding, over time the light will shine brighter...

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Pocket Zones" AND "Position Zones" are the Key Result using the TOI

Throughout our pool adventures, learning, and travels, many of us have experienced what I refer to as "Light Bulb" moments. These are discrete moments when something just clicks and a sense of excitement develops, almost like euphoria. You know, like a kid in a candy shop or a puppy at his first fire hydrant.

These periods of time have an everlasting effect and we seem to grasp something that will impact our future play, passion, and love of the game. The "Light Bulb" illuminates the way to a new found path.

Although we likely have had multiple experiences in life which have influenced our game, I invite you to choose at least one and share so that others may hopefully learn and develop a new experience of their own.

I'll start this thread with a recent "Light Bulb" of my own...

A week or so ago, I received CJ Wiley's TOI DVD in the mail. Incidentally, it came with a nice personalized autographed picture of CJ and the lovely Mary Avina which made a nice addition to the wall in my gameroom that is flooded with pictures and autographed memorabilia. Being a recreational player who enjoys the occasional tournament, I do not leave the house much to play elsewhere. I have the luxury of owning a 9’ Diamond Pro which sits in my second floor gameroom with ample space surrounding. Anyway, I began to practice with TOI and almost instantly, the “Light Bulb” went off. It was a new found technique and shots just seemed easier. After a week’s worth of practice at an hour or so daily, I made it out to the local pool hall, Buffalo Billiards, which is about 45 minutes from my home. As usual, when I decide to venture out, I make my good friend, teacher, and mentor aware. He usually shows up and obliges with some friendly 9-ball. We usually critique shots and help each other out during play. Although, my help is generally nowhere what he offers to my C-D level of play, I am able to grasp and explain concepts as well as help with his mental game. Being a lesser player to him, I am usually lucky to capture a game or 2 in a race to 7. This night was different; I was actually pocketing balls and even won a couple of extra games. I must say, this method that CJ offers provided a confidence boost which has definitely elevated my game. After confidently pocketing a shot with TOI and getting the desired cue ball reaction, the new catch phrase is “T-O-I baby, T-O-I”.

Jamie “DocHutch”

I just talked to one of my friends in Dallas who's helping me with the TOI instruction in the DFW area and got several "light bulb" stories. I was there a few weeks ago and put on a mini seminar on the "Touch" of inside, and showed several players some of the "finer points".

Apparently a few of them have taken the TOI training very seriously and are beating the hustlers that refuse to make any changes. After one of them lost 6 games of one pocket one day, then the next day lost 8 in a row again he finally had a "change of mind - if you can't beat em, you better join em". :thumbup:

They're starting to believe me now when I tell them pool's not that difficult and anyone can play as well as I do (if there's no physical impairments), when they're willing to commit to a systematic practice regiment and learn how to play zones, that means "Pocket Zones" AND "Position Zones"(using the inside information)....as a result their Game will naturally raise several levels because they will be communicating directly with the Teacher (soon there will be no need for a "human" teacher;)) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
nightlight

I am still waitin' for that dang light-bulb to light up ! :frown:

Seen it flicker once, so I guess the power is connected to it.:yes:

So, I guess 1 of these days,................ MAYBE it'll come on! :shrug:

DocHutch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There have many good points thus far. I certainly see a couple of things mentioned of particular aspects of the game that I will brush up on.

Continue with your stories!!!!

Jamie "DocHutch"

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I've had epiphanies repeat themselves over the years. One day I find myself struggling and I rediscover that I am holding my cue too tightly or raising up during the shot.

My best lightbulb story is while it's good to listen to the "experts" and even the bangers, before you discount what someone says, you should make a thorough attempt to discover for yourself if that certain something will work for you. Don't get too high and mighty with your decision or founding either, because it may be that the reason why that certain something isn't working well for you right now has something to do with your limited experience or your own misunderstanding. At least that's the way it's been for me.

As my fundamentals are being molded and remolded, I realize that a lot of things that are taught as Gospel, aren't necessarily good for everyone at their particular point in the journey and in some cases, even bad.

Try things out for yourself, THOROUGHLY. And after you have thoroughly tried something out for yourself and found it lacking, go through it again to find something of value. Maybe, right now you're just not ready for "THE SECRET". And maybe you never will be, or just maybe the light bulb will come on for you if you try it one more time, or do like I do and ask my good playing, smart friends to share their perspectives with me.

For example purposes only, just because you use TOI and you can't run a rack using it on every shot, maybe just maybe you don't know all that you need to know about TOI. Or maybe you just don't know how to run a rack of balls or you never learned how to use the proper patterns. It's been my experience that I learn something from every new technique or aiming system that helps my game in ways that I never imagined.

CTE/Pro1 taught me so much about alignment and hitting the cue ball in the center, I am ashamed that I spent so many years moving around in different ways to get a good sight picture, or moving my cue tip around on the cue ball using "instinct". Sometimes, instinct isn't going to get you there and a little knowledge might carry you over the hump.

EXPLORE FOR YOURSELF and explore THOROUGHLY. If something isn't right for you today, maybe it will never be right for you and maybe it isn't your fault or the fault of the thing you are trying to learn. Maybe, it's just not time for you to learn that particular thing or to find value in it. Don't beat yourself up for not getting anything out of it and certainly don't try and beat up on the person providing the information. You'll just come out looking like a sore loser.

I have a light bulb flickering about someting that I never thought I would learn from TOI, but like most things I like to put them to the test under competition. There will be some good competition in the coming weeks and months for me to test some of these new epiphanies and I'll share them as they prove useful to me, under fire.

I've been struggling with my game in recent months so I don't know how this light bulb flickering is going to play out, but I'm looking forward to new discoveries and re-discoveries as they benefit my game.