Older Viking cues one High end both have WICO plastic points

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 very nice vintage Viking cues available, cues I've collected for some time. PM me if you are interested in buying either/both of them, I would LOVE to find a new home for both cues, one at a time, or as a package deal.

The older VIKING window cue from 1972-74 with the original wrap and finish also having the rare Viking 3 point plastic veneer like WICO plastic points I paid $400 for it with one shaft in 2007; and I paid $550 for the fancy 1981 B-400 with 2 shafts about the same time. ... so.... here's the deal...

$300 shipped and insured 2-3 day USPS for the window cue; and $450 shipped and insured 2-3 day USPS for the 1981. Both cues have the 3 point Viking plastic veneers similar to the WICO plastic veneers which are nearly impossible to find. These are not your everyday common vintage VIKING cues. My loss, your gain. (<:

Respectfully,

John

Quote from Chris Tate : John,

You don't see too many of these. You might want to contact Viking about this too. I am not well briefed on Viking's history, just bits and pieces.

I overlooked that it was a 3 point blank. It might not be WICO but actually a Viking built blank. I believe that Viking built their own with plastic veneers too mostly with 3 points.

Well, it's a long story, but my understanding is that WICO was/is a billiards distributor establised in the 1940 in Chicago. They started a cue making operation. Bob Meucci worked there. Thery were among the first to make the milled points "short splice". Bob Meucci is often credited with creating this design with plastics.

WICO made these forearms and sold them to Doc Fry, palmer, Gus Szamboti, and others. When Meucci left WICO in the early 1970's, I think they gave up the cue operation, and Bob showed Gordon Hart how to make these forearms. Thsi time period makes sense because your cue has features of the Vikings built in the later 1970's.

My Palmer is made in the mid 1960's with 4 points with a very early WICO blank. The WICO blanks are not very common, especially 3 points.

Anyway, maybe Viking can shed some light on this. If you fnd out, can you let me know?

Chris

PC080042.jpg

PC080040.jpg

PC080039.jpg

PC080044.jpg

Last edited:

Scarwegian

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hi John,
I too have a few Vikings, one is an old Viking Champion Cue, probably from the 70's but not certain. I did find their website and under the archives tab I found the "W-Champion" Series catalog. This catalog shows the cue I have (listed as Champion $150.00) and although I'm not certain it may be the same catalog one of your cues is shown.

Hope this helps!
http://www.vikingcue.com/w-champion-line/

BTW, assuming you have had a few offers, do you have a $ in mind that will buy them both?

Rick

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I've been told the fancy one is a 1981 level 5 model B400. It has 3 different 8 ball inlays in the boxes on the butt sleeve, very cool looking. It also comes with 2 shafts. Here's VIKING's catalog of it new. It is the 2nd cue from the right in the pic.

http://www.vikingcue.com/r-series/

The other older cue is a R-100 series. Here is a link to VIKING where you can zoom in close-up and see it in the catalog. It is also the 2nd cue on the right in the pic.

http://www.vikingcue.com/r-series/

John