# Of U.S TOP Players From The U.S?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well..,

Sorry, I'm not a guru of either banks or one pocket and I'm really just listing the guys I've gotten to watch that have played well. Banks is a game I've only seen at Derby City and one pocket is a game see at Derby City and at the Accu -Stats Make it Happen One Pocket event.

Wow, I thought that Brumback, by reputation, is considered, along with Eddie Taylor, the best bank pool player ever. If, as you suggest, Jason is his equal, Jason is obviously worthy of mention.

For the Money, Bugs was the best Bank Pool Player ever!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Which kinda brings me to a different area, if billiards was in the Olympics I think it would be bad if there was only pool type games, it should be Snooker, 3 Cushion and 10 Ball or 9 Ball and maybe Trick Shots. Just like in Skiiing there are several very different events. Imaging a giant hall with 8 Snooker Tables, 8 3 Cushion Tables, 8 pool tables, all going on at once in the middle of 60,000 spectators.

That's the way it is in the World Games, sort of an olympics for sports not in the Olympic Games. The World Games are held every 4 years. They took place in Poland in 2017, and the 2021 edition is scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama!

The cue sports included are 3-cushion billiards, snooker, and 9-ball. Biado beat Shaw for the 9-ball title last year.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That's what makes the game interesting. Ranking lists don't always predict a matchup winner.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I started this thread to show the difference in the # of top players that come from the U.S, compared to all of Europe. Even though I didn't write it well, most got the picture. Johnnyt

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
In one pocket, we've got many of the top 25, with guys like Scott Frost, Shannon Daulton, Larry Nevel, Shane Van Boening, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, Sylver Ochoa, Brandon Shuff, Earl Strickland and others.

In banks, the US is king. Skyler Woodward, John Brumback, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, and Shannon Daulton, are probably the cream of the American crop.

Yes, the US is rock solid is some of the non-rotation games.

Only because the other countries don't play them. You saw what happend to our best when Dennis O decided to play 1pckt - he destroyed the self proclaimed best in the world, a guy who played the game his whole life.

If everybody else started playing those games, I believe they world beat the US worse than they do in 9/10ball, they all have better cue ball control than the US and are better tactically, yep, the US would have to invent another game nobody else plays to keep chirping about being the best.
Jason

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only because the other countries don't play them. You saw what happend to our best when Dennis O decided to play 1pckt - he destroyed the self proclaimed best in the world, a guy who played the game his whole life.

If everybody else started playing those games, I believe they world beat the US worse than they do in 9/10ball, they all have better cue ball control than the US and are better tactically, yep, the US would have to invent another game nobody else plays to keep chirping about being the best.
Jason

One pocket is a beautiful game but yes it's not a game that is played much elsewhere. The kind of players that would play one pocket in an environment where one pocket is played are likely to gravitate to snooker or some kind of carom elsewhere if those games are more readily available. Also, in a country where pool is THE cue sport, the better players are going to dabble in games that are off the radar of bar bangers to set themselves apart in some kind of elite echelon of the sport. - that'd be banks and one pocket in the USA. Interestingly, in the Philippines they have been playing 15 ball rotation since god knows when and since it was simply called "rotation".

Go back 15 or 20 years - would you back any elite USA or European player against an experienced Pinoy rotation player? Maybe not but you'd have backed the top US players in 9 ball against those very same players in the 80s and 90s.

It's not rocket science. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with US pool at the elite level (except maybe the we-should-be-the-best attitude). It's a global sport, albeit it a frInge one. You can't just throw money at it or field a team of big tall guys who are naturally athletic, from a population advantage. So it's a case of play more, train harder, get better, get even better.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You don't wanna bet on him against the big boys though.

If he could hang up there, he would.

True that - P K has all the action he can take if Henny wants to play any of those boys, unless it's throwing temper tantrums, then besides Hatch the world gets the 8.
Jason

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
True that - P K has all the action he can take if Henny wants to play any of those boys, unless it's throwing temper tantrums, then besides Hatch the world gets the 8.
Jason

I can tell you from personal experience that Hennessey/Pinegar is in a "no-class" of his own. ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a couple of fiery souls from the pool scene around me and I am of the opinion that what we see as poor sportsmanship is the flip side of someone who really enjoys the win.

For every high, there is a low...ya know?

When they win, it is a helluva celebration.
When they lose, it ain't pretty.

Takes all types to make up our world. You choose who you wanna align with.

Dicksclaimer: Not commenting on right or wrong, merely a psych-social observation from a limited sample size

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason

i was talking about in a single tournament match.

i would take the pinegar of 10-15 years ago over today's sky or oscar, though.