Air travel with your cues... what does everyone use?

ashb2bk

Just wondering what everyone does when the need to fly with their pool cues. Since we can't carry them on with us what is everyone doing for luggage? Are you satisfied with your solution or do you wish there was something better? If you have links or pics to what you use please feel free to post them!

DappleHillJim

Registered
Fabricated a corrugated box

When I went to DCC, I fabricated a custom cardboard box. Not fancy, so as not to attract attention, but well padded. Checked it as luggage and had no problems. No indication it was a valuable package...could have been anything from a big hoagie to my dirty laundry.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I got a cheap long duffel bag off Amazon for like $25. Really sturdy canvas and zipper, long enough to fit my cue case, and big enough to pack a week's worth (with room to spare) of clothing around the case to protect it.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what everyone does when the need to fly with their pool cues. Since we can't carry them on with us what is everyone doing for luggage? Are you satisfied with your solution or do you wish there was something better? If you have links or pics to what you use please feel free to post them!

I bought a 3 piece cue and it fits in my suitcase without all the hassel of a 2 piece. If I can whip your ass with a 3 piece or a house cue then I'm in trouble.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
First off, it's 100% ridiculous that you can't take your cue on the plane. Thanks TSA...

I've flown to NY-FL-NY a couple times and would just put my cue in my case and then the case in a cardboard box/tube. I never had any issues.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
First off, it's 100% ridiculous that you can't take your cue on the plane. Thanks TSA...

I've flown to NY-FL-NY a couple times and would just put my cue in my case and then the case in a cardboard box/tube. I never had any issues.

That's definitely the problem. I'd even be OK with that privilege being limited to TSA Pre-check folks. As much as I'd enjoy taking the cue on a simple two day trip having identified a hall I'd like to play or the HQ office corp table, it's not worth the cost and hassle of an extra bag fee. I normally check my suitcase anyway so not consuming lots of overhead space.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I was behind a guy in TSA security a few weeks back in Greensboro. He sailed through with a 2 foot tall trophy of some sort with a big metal point figure of some sort. It looked.like a World of Warcraft weapon...but no pool cues, that might hurt someone.

I don't fly with a cue often but when I do I use this suitcase style case (not this cue, it's a wall hanger) just by itself. I do wrap a nylon strap around it just in case the latches pop open.

Sent from the future.
384b178ddfdc6dc0b937932dfd78d5b5.jpg

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Snooker pro cue just turned like this

This could happen with 'your precious' if you give it over to the airport luggage handlers

AHamilton-cue.jpg

Snooker pro Anthony Hamilton arrived to play at Gibraltar Open only to find his cue in this condition. He had to withdraw :(

The photo was posted on Twitter by another pro player Alfie Burden.

Note how the cue extender looks like after the damage incurred. And all that given the fact he must have been using what they refer to a 'sports tube' to secure the cue case. Accoring to one of the comments on Twitter from other participant, "when the cues were coming off earlier in the week it was a steep ramp and then a 90 deg turn".

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This could happen with 'your precious' if you give it over to the airport luggage handlers

View attachment 543638

Snooker pro Anthony Hamilton arrived to play at Gibraltar Open only to find his cue in this condition. He had to withdraw :(

The photo was posted on Twitter by another pro player Alfie Burden.

Note how the cue extender looks like after the damage incurred. And all that given the fact he must have been using what they refer to a 'sports tube' to secure the cue case. Accoring to one of the comments on Twitter from other participant, "when the cues were coming off earlier in the week it was a steep ramp and then a 90 deg turn".
He had to withdraw? No other cues anywhere in the area? Nobody with a spare?

Sent from the future.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Logical that Rolling rock setup is sweet.
Where did you get that? First time I have
ever seen one.
It was an Ebay find...they show up occasionally. The case is really solid, the ball is cool but not of any use and the cue I just use as a guest house cue. It is nicer than the typical But Lite logo cue and plays pretty decent but again, the case is the prize. It's big for a single cue case but has room for other stuff you'd want along on a trip and it's a cool conversation starter in Airports.

Sent from the future.
9506993a957518ca528d6a2a879ae8fe.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Part of the problem is that his case was 60 inches long. I wonder what sort of construction it had. It seems to me that the amount of prize money involved in snooker and the fact that the players get so bonded to their cues that they can't switch and play well, would lead to very secure travel packaging. Like maybe an aluminum pipe around the cue. Not that such a pipe would have stopped the damage shown.:eek:

I got an Eagle Creek roller duffel (stiff back) that just barely fits my cue case. It has an internal divider that I can thread the case through so it can't be removed quickly by a stick-fingered inspector. They're a little pricey but they come with a "No Matter What" warranty which I've used once. I would get something a little longer next time.

On the subject of snooker cues, my friend flew to India for a tournament. The baggage tracking info shows that his cue was never loaded onto the airplane at SFO.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a baseball/softball equipment bag. Basically it's a duffel bag with a separate compartment in the bottom that is large enough to hold bats. That compartment is large enough to hold your cases. The top duffle section has enough room to carry several days worth of clothes. Mine was made by Easton but there are a lot of manufactures of these things. It can be checked into luggage and it is not considered oversized.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a baseball/softball equipment bag. Basically it's a duffel bag with a separate compartment in the bottom that is large enough to hold bats. That compartment is large enough to hold your cases. The top duffle section has enough room to carry several days worth of clothes. Mine was made by Easton but there are a lot of manufactures of these things. It can be checked into luggage and it is not considered oversized.

Great idea! :thumbup: