Buddy Hall

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Buddy ever played 14.1 and what his high run is? His technically precise and cerebral position play is like tailor made for 14.1. I'd reckon he'd be magnificent to watch playing some straight pool.
His first pro win was in 14.1 when he was only 17. He didn't play it a lot because there wasn't much action in it. He was a big-time $$ player and he concentrated mostly on 9b and banks. I'm guessing his hi-run is pretty sporty. The way he controls his rock would lead to some big runs imo.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
tight vs close

That sounds profound but I would disagree and think Buddy would as well. In 9 ball getting too close is not that good. It is a mistake a lot of straight pool players make and hurts their 9 ball game. When you get too close that wedge area you are going for to get to the next ball gets very small when you are too close.

It is the first thing you notice when you watch Efren play. He doesn't care that much about being a little farther away. He is more concerned about the correct angle. Watch a few videos on youtube of most of the Filipino players. They all seem to play like that. A little distance it fine within reason.

Watched Buddy on youtube a couple of nights ago. Buddy played very tight shape, putting the cue ball where he wanted it, not close shape jamming the cue ball against the object ball. Supports what you are saying.

Long ago I had to learn you could be too close to the next ball and start getting away from it. I favor about sixteen to twenty-four inches, six inches either way still works pretty well. Funny, getting back to the table a little bit I find I am once again jamming up to the object ball even to the point of sometimes nudging it. Got to remember to look at the place I want the cue ball last before settling into the shot, not the next object ball.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That sounds profound but I would disagree and think Buddy would as well. In 9 ball getting too close is not that good. It is a mistake a lot of straight pool players make and hurts their 9 ball game. When you get too close that wedge area you are going for to get to the next ball gets very small when you are too close.

It is the first thing you notice when you watch Efren play. He doesn't care that much about being a little farther away. He is more concerned about the correct angle. Watch a few videos on youtube of most of the Filipino players. They all seem to play like that. A little distance it fine within reason.

Darn right. Distance from the object ball is not the most important measure of position play quality in nine ball. Maintaining the right angles comes first.

Just like Efren, Earl didn't try to play shape especially close to the object ball, because doing so was sometimes against the percentages for superb pocketers of the balls.

Playing to ensure getting on the right side of the ball first and maintaining the best angles in pattern play is how most of the elite go about their business these days. Getting close to the object ball is nice, but given the level of pocketing seen at the top of our game these days, it's not nearly as important as it might seem.

As you said "a little distance is fine within reason." I don't think I can improve on that.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
well ...

Darn right. Distance from the object ball is not the most important measure of position play quality in nine ball. Maintaining the right angles comes first.

Just like Efren, Earl didn't try to play shape especially close to the object ball, because doing so was sometimes against the percentages for superb pocketers of the balls.

Playing to ensure getting on the right side of the ball first and maintaining the best angles in pattern play is how most of the elite go about their business these days. Getting close to the object ball is nice, but given the level of pocketing seen at the top of our game these days, it's not nearly as important as it might seem.

As you said "a little distance is fine within reason." I don't think I can improve on that.

You could have said just don't find yourself in the middle of nowhere!:grin:

Hu

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy didn't have the best break nor was he the best shot maker but he played position like few players ever have. Fortunately we have some videos of him and those who are interested can certainly learn something from watching them.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its now my understanding that the Bar & Grill that Buddy frequents over in Metropolis, IL, which is Sully's, is now closing due to the virus and their Governor's latest order.

r/DCP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its now my understanding that the Bar & Grill that Buddy frequents over in Metropolis, IL, which is Sully's, is now closing due to the virus and their Governor's latest order.

r/DCP
That's what their FB page says. Closing on the 22nd til further notice.