Scotch Doubles order of play question

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Hi guys,

In a Scoth Doubles 8-ball match where you're playing winner breaks.
Lets say one of the pairs consists of player A and player B.

Player A breaks succesfully, players A and B clear the table alternating
shots and player B sinks the 8-Ball. Who is breaking? Player A because
player B played the previous shot or player B because player A broke
the previous rack?

Regards, Dave

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I have always played alternate from who sunk the 8 to next break, but that is just how it has occurred in my community. No one defined it is a specific rule.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's up to you, in the mosconi cup they alternate break among partners regardless of who sinks the 9. I've always played whoever didn't make the money ball breaks the next rack though.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Depends on the rules of that specific tournament. Typically it would be the player whose turn it is to shoot next (Player A in your scenario), but not always.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen all three scenarios.

Alternating shots, so the player who didn't pocket the 8 breaks.
Alternating breaker, regardless of who made the 8
Anyone can break.

It does depend on the event or, if gambling, the stipulation. Obviously this can be a huge factor if one player is a much better breaker. (Note that in alternating shots if Player A say makes say one solid on the break and the team runs out the solids - making one ball per shot - player B will make the 8 and player A will break again. This can happen multiple racks with a good breaker and two good shooters)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I play on a 2 man team BCAPL league. We each play 4 singles games against our opponents, then 2 standard doubles games, then 2 scotch doubles games. Our games are dictated by starting order not continuous from previous game. We break one doubles game and our opponent breaks the next doubles game, same for scotch doubles. If I break the regular doubles game my opponent will be breaking scotch doubles and vice versa. On the game that we do not break the shooter who does not get a break in that round shoots first for our team.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
It doesn't matter who breaks in BCA tournaments.......I've played Scotch Doubles in Vegas with BCA for 18 years...

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies so far.

This is a question for a league that I am the chairman of
and until now we have been doing whoever doesn't make
the money ball breaks (in my example player A).

This can lead to a situation where only 1 player from a pair
ever breaks which doesn't seem too right. So I was thinking
about changing this rule.

Regards, Dave

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a great question! so interesting because I wondered the same thing. I mean, who wants to have to keep track when you're focused on winning?