Rosewoods

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I intend on doing a series of Rosewood cues to showcase the resonance/tone of each.
In my search of the subject I found a list that has blown my previous estimate of
the number, out of the water. I also learned that not all species in the Dalbergia
group are Rosewoods.

http://globalspecies.org/ntaxa/112638

You needn't bother counting; there are 267 on that list.
That's just over 100 more than I was aware existed.
I have my work cut-out for me. Save the link if you're so inclined.

KJ

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all dream about finding the perfect stash of Brazilian Rosewood.

Wood data institute does not list near as many as the list you have found, they do suggest one Rosewood that best matches Brazilian and that is Amazon Rosewood. It's the heaviest of the ones they list and the specific gravity is much higher.

I have some with perfectly straight grain, can't wait to try it. I am wondering if anyone has experienced it on a cue.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I intend on doing a series of Rosewood cues to showcase the resonance/tone of each.
In my search of the subject I found a list that has blown my previous estimate of
the number, out of the water. I also learned that not all species in the Dalbergia
group are Rosewoods.

http://globalspecies.org/ntaxa/112638

You needn't bother counting; there are 267 on that list.
That's just over 100 more than I was aware existed.
I have my work cut-out for me. Save the link if you're so inclined.

KJ

Got them all sold ? :smile: If not let me know, might be interested in one of the more obscure rosewood cues when you are done with it.

Dave

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
We all dream about finding the perfect stash of Brazilian Rosewood.

Wood data institute does not list near as many as the list you have found, they do suggest one Rosewood that best matches Brazilian and that is Amazon Rosewood. It's the heaviest of the ones they list and the specific gravity is much higher.

I have some with perfectly straight grain, can't wait to try it. I am wondering if anyone has experienced it on a cue.

------------
I currently have an adequate stash of BRW, though I continue to buy and have a fairly
decent array of the more common Rosewoods; Kingwood, Bois de Rose, Palisander, Coco, etc.
The project is off to a good start. I have some Amazon Rose and view it differently from BRW.
IMO, Bois would be a better substitute for BRW but it's getting equally difficult to find.

Dave K,

When I get a few of these passed the spray-booth I'll give you a holler. You're on the 'list'.
I have a couple of private client's to complete first. 'Cue-maker time' is a ***** ain't it. LOl

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Dave Kikel send me all his pieces of Camatillo so I could pick out the wood for a cue. The three pieces I chose were already turned round and were straight grained dark violet and black in color. The sound they made when you tapped them was incredible. It would literally ring in your hand just amazing. I still have the cue and it is just amazing! Love those rosewood cues!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
------------
I currently have an adequate stash of BRW, though I continue to buy and have a fairly
decent array of the more common Rosewoods; Kingwood, Bois de Rose, Palisander, Coco, etc.
The project is off to a good start. I have some Amazon Rose and view it differently from BRW.
IMO, Bois would be a better substitute for BRW but it's getting equally difficult to find.

Dave K,

When I get a few of these passed the spray-booth I'll give you a holler. You're on the 'list'.
I have a couple of private client's to complete first. 'Cue-maker time' is a ***** ain't it. LOl

KJ,
Really looking forward to seeing your work. I have always had a soft spot for Palisander. :smile: The quality pieces of this wood are gorgeous, IMO.
Keep us posted. :cool:
j2

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Dave Kikel send me all his pieces of Camatillo so I could pick out the wood for a cue. The three pieces I chose were already turned round and were straight grained dark violet and black in color. The sound they made when you tapped them was incredible. It would literally ring in your hand just amazing. I still have the cue and it is just amazing! Love those rosewood cues!

FWIW I own a camatillo forearmed cue (Olney), and it too sounds great.
He said it was the hardest wood he had worked with

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
group are Rosewoods.

The matter is bound to only get more complicated as more species and sub-species are discovered. There are ongoing biological surveys of forest that continue to discover new species.

Even then, two trees of the same species that grew only a few miles part could experience enough variation in environment and nutrient availability to create structural differences resulting in resonant variations.

Even within the same tree the compass orientation and prevailing winds lead to structural differences that will emerge when comparing where the wood came from within that one tree.

Certainly an expanding can of worms.

It could be your life's work.... :wink:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I love me some rosewoods :) I find palisander to be the most like Brazilian, in appearance and tone. All the Amazon I have used was quite a bit heavier and had noticeably shorter sustain. That all said, Brazilian isn't my favorite. Mayan and Guatemalan rival it or even trump it in terms of tone.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
I love me some rosewoods :) I find palisander to be the most like Brazilian, in appearance and tone. All the Amazon I have used was quite a bit heavier and had noticeably shorter sustain. That all said, Brazilian isn't my favorite. Mayan and Guatemalan rival it or even trump it in terms of tone.
Hi Eric,
how is my Cue doing????

Palisander is my Fav too BUT nothing beats Madagascar Ebony;)

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread, short, sweet and useful.

Thanks to KJ for starting it, Thanks again for the great response. Thanks to qbilder for recommendations on three woods.

Funny story from yesterday.

I seen a listing on crackslist for 1,000 pounds of Brazilian Rosewood for $300.

It was an old gutted Piano from 1874 and the Rosewood was veneer.

I have lots of wood and would love to trade for some Brazilian Rosewood any time