What things have you done to really improve your pool game?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The major thing I did that gave me a big jump was basically an attitude change.

I decided I wanted to play good, correct pool, rather than just beat up D-players with my bad C-player stroke. It meant working on parts of my game that were broken, unfamiliar, or uncomfortable.

I made a decision to hit every ball correctly, even if it meant missing the shot or losing the game.

Specific examples are here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=1736578&postcount=20

I will also say the pause helped me learn how to make tough longer shots, and helped me diagnose bad stroke habits.

A lot of good things done to improve your game. I like that! Thanks for all the positive input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I started ...
Shooting easier,
Practicing daily
and Shooting against players better than myself.

The guys (the better players) comment about how my game has drastically improved since the first of the year.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started ...
Shooting easier,
Practicing daily
and Shooting against players better than myself.

The guys (the better players) comment about how my game has drastically improved since the first of the year.

You must be pretty good then!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I switched from Mezz to a custom cue, and completely changed my game, from very flamboyant to very simple, employ the clock system to apply english, practice better, slow and gentle strokes. And my game improved significantly even though I play only 5hr/week and against players of my levels only, no matches against better ones.

I will pick up better opponents now

My improvement was shown in my 2 recent tournament results. Amateur only, but I got into last 16 and last 8 respectively.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched from Mezz to a custom cue, and completely changed my game, from very flamboyant to very simple, employ the clock system to apply english, practice better, slow and gentle strokes. And my game improved significantly even though I play only 5hr/week and against players of my levels only, no matches against better ones.

My improvement was shown in my 2 recent tournament results. Amateur only, but I got into last 16 and last 8 respectively.

Wow! That is a great improvement. The clock system is what Buddy Hall uses also. Good luck.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Wow! That is a great improvement. The clock system is what Buddy Hall uses also. Good luck.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Yes, that is the Buddy Hall system I am trying to follow. even my friends who often play me are surprised how I changed my game so quickly. I am very pleased and will definitely continue this way. I have played pool for a long time but only play seriously since I bought my 1st cue a year ago, then I truly know how to define my game and improve since my 1st custom cue (3 months ago).

and I met a fellow Vietnamese (leminhnam on AzB) who gave me very nice and useful advice.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two lessons from Scott Lee. Looking forward to a third soon. Then lots of practice. A lesson from John Brumback didn't hurt anything either. :smile:

jacknguyen

Registered
never stop playing:rolleyes:, change your game, practice straight pool (this help a lottt) stay away from 9 ball, sit down, patient watching better guy play, learn and take note from their stroke. when i lost confidence, i always play this game based the score on bowling type, you got 10 balls and 2 shots to clear up table, if you run out, you got 20 points, if you clear in 2 shots, you got clear (10 points), max round is 10, try to get above 170 each time you play and I swear to god it helps you a lot, not only recover your confidence but improve ur stroke 2.:thumbup:

Montana Mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Action has become an endangered species around Detroit lately so I have had time to work on a few things. The few that pop out to me are:
1. {secret}
2. Work on weaknesses
3. Not overhit balls

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Tiger LD shaft, Bert Kinister's online lessons, a 8 ft. Diamond Pro Am table, and a couple magic racks.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

which mezz were you using and which custom are you using now?

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
You must be pretty good then!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

I don't really think so... I was just a banger for about 10 years, then quit playing for about 12 years. I am slowly turning into a player after 2 years of playing again. I am a C+ player.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really think so... I was just a banger for about 10 years, then quit playing for about 12 years. I am slowly turning into a player after 2 years of playing again. I am a C+ player.

So,
You are a C+ player! I heard that. That is way better than a no player.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
people pleasing

Keeping to myself from now on .Not posting on here ,working on my life and game with no distraction from anyone .....it really helps .The less I care about this that or the other ,the more time I have to practice .This entire forum needs a enema and I can think of one or two members in particular that it would aid greatly .:p

Last edited:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
which mezz were you using and which custom are you using now?

Hi,

I previously used Mezz EC7-CM5 with WD700 shaft for 6 months or so, I am now playing with a 16 pointer Sugartree (my avatar), and I am trying a Bob Frey sneaky as well as a Taiwan made custom cue.

Cuong.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I posted earlier, I was a bit vague in my answer. After reading some of the other responses and then thinking some more about my own game, I have figured out a few things.
First of all, I moved forward on my cue, shortening my bridge giving my better control of my stroke.
Then I broadened my horizons... I was strictly a 9 foot table 1 pocket player. I was scared of rotation pool because I couldn't get out. I started practicing and playing 9 ball and 10 ball on a barbox. I quit relying on an aiming system for every shot. Now I just seem to know if I'm lined up right and if I'm going to miss or make the shot. I started using a preshot routine for every shot and visualizing every shot before I get down to shoot. Now, the only time I revert to the aiming system is on very difficult shots.
I stopped trying to play perfect position and started playing better angles. This eventually led to better position. Adopting this strategy allowed me to get out way more often.
The biggest thing I did was change my attitude. I quit griping about bad rolls and took credit for my mistakes. I realized that in reality, there are very, very few bad rolls. What most players call a bad roll is merely the result of bad execution or decision making. This change of attitude led to me finding my heart and passion for the game which I had lost many years ago. Getting that passion back gave me the drive and motivation to improve my game from maybe a "D" to maybe a "B" and still improving. I still make plenty of mistakes and have a little trouble with CB control when switching from big to small tables or vice-versa. Those are the things I am currently working to fix.
I still love to play 1 pocket on 9 footers, but I am no longer limited to "the old man's game." I'm really enjoying pool in general these days. Playing the best I've ever played probably has something to do with that, lol!

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
I stopped playing...its amazing how infrequently I miss shots now! :-D

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android