APA Sponsorship of the Mosconi Cup

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I assume you mean they would have continued pool promotion without Mackey or perhaps without the PBTA. There was still the problem of the $400,000 missing from the PBTA prize funds.

Was that in the BD articles at that time? I don't remember any $400K, missing or otherwise, but I'm not in the loop.

Can you elaborate on that?

Jeff Living;ston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that in the BD articles at that time? I don't remember any $400K, missing or otherwise, but I'm not in the loop.

Can you elaborate on that?

Jeff Living;ston
Wasn't there a 400k bonus pool that just evaporated? This has been covered a lot.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it has been covered a lot, why don't you or I know about it?

I'm old so I have an excuse.:)

Jeff Livingston
It all went down almost TWENTY years ago. Have you tried this newfangled gizmo called SEARCH? Pard, i don't remember what i had for breakfast. ;) Seriously, the players were owed a sack of money and either Mackey, Camel/RJR or both f^*k'd 'em out of it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasn't there a 400k bonus pool that just evaporated? This has been covered a lot.

Actually the bonus pool (put up by RJR) was the only thing that got paid in the final year. I will only say this. Don Mackey was a liar of Trump like proportions.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

The newspaper article and the court decision seems to side with RJR but the thread takes it the other way and blames Mackey.

I'm starting to remember that I was as confused back then, as now.

One thing that is not confusing is how money skews reality.

Jeff Livingston

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you mean they would have continued pool promotion without Mackey or perhaps without the PBTA. There was still the problem of the $400,000 missing from the PBTA prize funds.

That is correct. Their vision was to build the sport with a grass roots movement like they did with auto racing. When the top end of that movement can't get its act together, the vision kind of fades.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is correct. Their vision was to build the sport with a grass roots movement like they did with auto racing. When the top end of that movement can't get its act together, the vision kind of fades.

I heard that the episode did get pool into colleges and universities. The RJR/PBTA case is used as an example in business classes of how not to structure a sports sponsorship and what can go wrong.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, APA Sponsorship of the Mosconi is a good thing for pool. The more the APA views pro pool as a vehicle for getting amateurs excited about the game, the better. As so many have already noted, this sponsorship is part fo APA's marketing strategy.

On the forum over the years, some have taken it for granted that what goes on at the pro level has a profound influence on amateur pool, but this has rarely been the case. The continuously growing prestige of the Mosconi Cup has helped to change this, and we should all be pleased about it.

Let's all hope that this is a step in the direction of bridging the absolutely huge gap between amateur and pro pool.

Props to the APA for their sponsorship.