To those who think it's over for pool

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
It's been a while, but had to throw in my two cents ;)

I've read a ton of concerned comments here, thinking that this whole thing is going to end pool as we know it, etc. I get that.

My issue with this is that many of the commenters are regarding and comparing this to a depression. In my opinion, this is just panic, and you need to consider some aspects about this whole thing.

For one, it has only been around 2 weeks (in the US, that is), since the gov has shut places down. It's true that there are damages, but it's not as bad as how it's made out to be.

I'm just going to fast-forward and also compare this thing to the great depression, which was something WAY worse than what we are experiencing as far as business availability and distribution is concerned.

Something to consider about businesses around the country is that, like my great grandfather had before the great depression hit a long time ago is that many business owners are not as helpless as you might think they are, and that everything is going to close and it's all over for consumers. This is not necessarily the case. For instance, my great grandfather had so many businesses over time and so much money put away that even when he took a big hit in the great depression, (which was many years) he was able to recover. Granted, he had it right in that he was in food marketing and he was ok after a lot of damage.

Pool halls may be one thing, and I agree that they are going to take a beating, as many of you have commented, in that those who are fledgling or struggling businesses are going to take a beating. Sure, and that's a damn shame in regards to everything. BUT....

As far as at least SOME of those places, pool halls that have owners who have invested in many different ventures and have banked much reserve in what they have been involved with, they will recover, and with given time things will get back in step.

One of my predictions is that the businesses with pool tables, like bars and leagues will recover pretty well. After the world recovers from this hit, I think everyone involved with pool on a public level will AT LEAST be able to transfer to taverns IF pool halls reach some kind of halt. Not saying this will be a good thing, but at least players will be able to beat up on the drunks in these places after all is said and done :cool:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pandemic Covid-19 is much different from the regular flu. In this day and age
we can only hope that some sort of cure with good outcomes is found or a vaccine.

It won't only be pool, it will be everything else with it.

Businesses that have to congregate large amounts of people in order to work will go by the wayside.

All that other stuff you said about folks being prepared, I don't believe much. There's
bunch of studies that show people are squeezed and have little to back themselves up
with. I do however hope this passes and soon.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I dont think people should have to pay taxes accrued during this time period.

The govt shut everyone down, the govt should relieve most of their tax burdens.

payroll tax should be ignored for first responders and employers

manufacturing plants should be released from taxes

pool rooms were forced into closure, banks should be lenient for awhile.

If there is no protection, great billiard room will get gobbled up by investors that can afford to lose and still invest.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If there is no protection, great billiard room will get gobbled up by investors that can afford to lose and still invest.

Technically the taxes based on income have come to a halt. No income, no income taxes.

If you still have an income, you will still have taxes. You will still be taxed on unemployment benefits. You will still have Medicare and Social Security taxes. Remember the saying... Death and taxes are the only sure things about life.

Its the property taxes that are on the county level that need to be suspended. This cant AND SHOULDNT be dictated by any federal entity.

But It's safe to say that this wont happen. Even homeowners will still be on the hook... with the threat of eviction and forfeiture. But this is the surest thing that will save businesses and homes. That and lending institutions putting current payments to the end of the loan. Dont expect a free ride. You are not getting it.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well all of hope for a return to life to be normal before were heard of any thing called Corona beside the Mexican Beer.

justnum

Silver Member
still waiting for the check in the mail, i hear thats for most people in America.

thats the only good news I can be sure of right now.

Technically the taxes based on income have come to a halt. No income, no income taxes.

If you still have an income, you will still have taxes. You will still be taxed on unemployment benefits. You will still have Medicare and Social Security taxes. Remember the saying... Death and taxes are the only sure things about life.

Its the property taxes that are on the county level that need to be suspended. This cant AND SHOULDNT be dictated by any federal entity.

But It's safe to say that this wont happen. Even homeowners will still be on the hook... with the threat of eviction and forfeiture. But this is the surest thing that will save businesses and homes. That and lending institutions putting current payments to the end of the loan. Dont expect a free ride. You are not getting it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is human to analyze from ones own perspective.
However, to position your experience as what will be experienced as a whole is myopic.

It's been a while, but had to throw in my two cents ;)

I've read a ton of concerned comments here, thinking that this whole thing is going to end pool as we know it, etc. I get that.

My issue with this is that many of the commenters are regarding and comparing this to a depression. In my opinion, this is just panic, and you need to consider some aspects about this whole thing.

For one, it has only been around 2 weeks (in the US, that is), since the gov has shut places down. It's true that there are damages, but it's not as bad as how it's made out to be.

I'm just going to fast-forward and also compare this thing to the great depression, which was something WAY worse than what we are experiencing as far as business availability and distribution is concerned.

Something to consider about businesses around the country is that, like my great grandfather had before the great depression hit a long time ago is that many business owners are not as helpless as you might think they are, and that everything is going to close and it's all over for consumers. This is not necessarily the case. For instance, my great grandfather had so many businesses over time and so much money put away that even when he took a big hit in the great depression, (which was many years) he was able to recover. Granted, he had it right in that he was in food marketing and he was ok after a lot of damage.

Pool halls may be one thing, and I agree that they are going to take a beating, as many of you have commented, in that those who are fledgling or struggling businesses are going to take a beating. Sure, and that's a damn shame in regards to everything. BUT....

As far as at least SOME of those places, pool halls that have owners who have invested in many different ventures and have banked much reserve in what they have been involved with, they will recover, and with given time things will get back in step.

One of my predictions is that the businesses with pool tables, like bars and leagues will recover pretty well. After the world recovers from this hit, I think everyone involved with pool on a public level will AT LEAST be able to transfer to taverns IF pool halls reach some kind of halt. Not saying this will be a good thing, but at least players will be able to beat up on the drunks in these places after all is said and done :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You thoughts and their roots are understood, but it all comes back to society, in the long run.

Ma's bakery shuts down, no money for lease payments or to the vendor that she makes payments for the oven...a reprieve on current debts due is granted.

The strip mall owner has 20 businesses in similar position.

Strip mall owner has no income and and it's payments for the property are granted a reprieve.

The bank strip mall owner owes has 100 properties in similar positions.

It goes up and up...where does it end?

justnum

Silver Member
When the country can operate without spreading the virus.

You thoughts and their roots are understood, but it all comes back to society, in the long run.

Ma's bakery shuts down, no money for lease payments or to the vendor that she makes payments for the oven...a reprieve on current debts due is granted.

The strip mall owner has 20 businesses in similar position.

Strip mall owner has no income and and it's payments for the property are granted a reprieve.

The bank strip mall owner owes has 100 properties in similar positions.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
....The bank strip mall owner owes has 100 properties in similar positions.

Retirements.

I.E. large retirement funds invested in bundled mortgages that were sold to Chinese investment firms.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pandemic Covid-19 is much different from the regular flu. In this day and age
we can only hope that some sort of cure with good outcomes is found or a vaccine.

It won't only be pool, it will be everything else with it.

Businesses that have to congregate large amounts of people in order to work will go by the wayside.

All that other stuff you said about folks being prepared, I don't believe much. There's
bunch of studies that show people are squeezed and have little to back themselves up
with. I do however hope this passes and soon.

Americans are noted for their short memories. It will take time but it will come back

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
still waiting for the check in the mail, i hear thats for most people in America.

thats the only good news I can be sure of right now.

Just be prepared and not suprised..... you will probably have to claim it as income on next years taxes. Wouldn't surprise me in th least.