3 point rule

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Each ball that meets one or more of the requirements counts as one point.

I think the wording in the regulation is clear. See Regulation 18 in:

https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/

Ok thanks. It looks to be implied in "a minimum of three balls..." Still, it's not specifically indicated. For some reason I have it in my head where SVB got away with a 2 point break. Can't recall the video. Sorry.

Gotta be a lawyer with pool rules. Sheesh.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok thanks. It looks to be implied in "a minimum of three balls..." Still, it's not specifically indicated. For some reason I have it in my head where SVB got away with a 2 point break. Can't recall the video. Sorry.

Gotta be a lawyer with pool rules. Sheesh.

Where did you get the idea that balls in some pockets count as 2? It seems like a very specific yet odd thing to think since I've never heard anyone talk about that anytime the rule was talked about or written. Yes it may be that someone had an illegal break that no-one noticed was illegal, I'm sure more than once.

One time I spent half of a live streamed Joss Tour match breaking from the side before someone pointed out I had to break from the box, even the opponent did not notice it, I think one of the spectators said something LOL

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you get the idea that balls in some pockets count as 2? It seems like a very specific yet odd thing to think since I've never heard anyone talk about that anytime the rule was talked about or written. Yes it may be that someone had an illegal break that no-one noticed was illegal, I'm sure more than once.

One time I spent half of a live streamed Joss Tour match breaking from the side before someone pointed out I had to break from the box, even the opponent did not notice it, I think one of the spectators said something LOL

It's pretty simple. Ball in the back pocket has to cross the head string. Accruing 2 points for this is not specifically ruled out. I have this recollection of SVB benefiting from this - nothing was said and play went on uninterrupted. I could be mistaken about the actual total.

Your break story reminds me of another possible loophole. Both players can agree to ignore the rule and play normal 'ball on the break is good'.

Can you point me to your matches? I love to watch. :grin-square:

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty simple. Ball in the back pocket has to cross the head string. Accruing 2 points for this is not specifically ruled out. I have this recollection of SVB benefiting from this - nothing was said and play went on uninterrupted. I could be mistaken about the actual total.

Your break story reminds me of another possible loophole. Both players can agree to ignore the rule and play normal 'ball on the break is good'.

Can you point me to your matches? I love to watch. :grin-square:

Your thinking was because it both went into a pocket and went past the line it is two separate things? But then any ball kicked back into the head string would count as two also since it went in there twice, went in, hit a pocket point, went back in, that's two if you follow that same logic. If they had an idea to count it as two it would be specifically stated, creative idea but not very realistic.

I don't think any of my streamed matches are saved, it was at Snookers in RI some years ago when they were using the ustream service. Aside from that breaking snafu I remember I was the only one of us to break and run and they guy somehow made 3 9 balls off the break using a magic rack with the 9 getting kicked in the side by another ball. The players can't just chose to ignore the rules of a tournament and play how they want, but there may be forgiving a mistake to continue play and not making that mistake in the future. That may be something they can decide in a one on one match when gambling but not in a tournament, the tournament rules set the rules not how they players want to play it.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your thinking was because it both went into a pocket and went past the line it is two separate things? But then any ball kicked back into the head string would count as two also since it went in there twice, went in, hit a pocket point, went back in, that's two if you follow that same logic. If they had an idea to count it as two it would be specifically stated, creative idea but not very realistic.

I don't think any of my streamed matches are saved, it was at Snookers in RI some years ago when they were using the ustream service. Aside from that breaking snafu I remember I was the only one of us to break and run and they guy somehow made 3 9 balls off the break using a magic rack with the 9 getting kicked in the side by another ball. The players can't just chose to ignore the rules of a tournament and play how they want, but there may be forgiving a mistake to continue play and not making that mistake in the future. That may be something they can decide in a one on one match when gambling but not in a tournament, the tournament rules set the rules not how they players want to play it.

Actually you expect a balls to carreen around so in and out doesn't feel like a two but, a ball over the line is definitely one and subsequently falling into a pocket does feel like two to me.
Sorry about your matches.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually you expect a balls to carreen around so in and out doesn't feel like a two but, a ball over the line is definitely one and subsequently falling into a pocket does feel like two to me.
Sorry about your matches.

I don't think many people like that 3 point rule anyway, from what I heard it was a temporary and optional rule put in to try out as a way to keep soft breaks out of the game. But it causes its own issues since just due to randomness you can break with a good speed but fail to send 3 balls up-table due to hitting the side pocket points or with just balls knocking others away from the area. In law the people often say "it's better for 10 guilty men to go free than to have one innocent person put in jail", the same thing could be said for the 3 point rule.