Masse Shots

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Can you strike a masse so the cue ball travels in a complete circle?

I can get a half circle path. But a full circle?

Do I need different equipment or more strength?

Not sure if there is a physics limit on the path of the masse, in terms of changing directions?

I usually only see one change of direction in masse shots. Is it possible for more?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Not sure if there is a physics limit on the path of the masse, in terms of changing directions?

I usually only see one change of direction in masse shots. Is it possible for more?
go to youtube-
watch the guy, from Turkey, I think -
Semy seiher-
spelling I know isn't right
He can do amazing shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fChuYu7d8ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_ZCrhCSb4&list=PL_Q_Xpsj_J6L8oBgQQQ36eAlyyZbAYtsg&index=1

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My two favorite games....3-cushion and one-pocket...
...you get to see some incredible shots.....not because the player is showing off...
...it’s because it’s the best solution.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The curved portion of a masse shot is a parabola. Parabolas do not close on themselves. The best you can do on a masse shot is 180 degrees of direction change -- straight out and straight back.

justnum

Silver Member
The curved portion of a masse shot is a parabola. Parabolas do not close on themselves. The best you can do on a masse shot is 180 degrees of direction change -- straight out and straight back.

Have you ever seen a jump shot where the cue ball lands and performs a masse?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can do it. No problem.

You just need to hit the ball harder. I suggest you go to a public room and pound the cue into the slate as hard as you possibly can.

If youre not hitting the cue ball into the bed of the table so hard that you are worried about breaking your cue, how the fook do you ever expect to hit the unicorn of masse shots, the 'ring around the rosey' shot????

If after a few attempts you cannot get it right, Im sure an employee of the establishment will be along shortly to discuss things with you! :thumbup:

justnum

Silver Member

You just need to hit the ball harder. I suggest you go to a public room and pound the cue into the slate as hard as you possibly can.

If youre not hitting the cue ball into the bed of the table so hard that you are worried about breaking your cue, how the fook do you ever expect to hit the unicorn of masse shots, the 'ring around the rosey' shot????

If after a few attempts you cannot get it right, Im sure an employee of the establishment will be along shortly to discuss things with you! :thumbup:

Outside of pool the application of a ring around the rosey shot has applications on theoretical forces.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't look easy. I will have lots of fun trying.

That is a 9 point masse shot in our program. 10 point is the highest degree of difficulty. If you want to try it exactly like out program, the cue ball can not touch the rack coming out, but can on the way back. There is only one ball and not a combo. The trailing edge of the cue ball must pass the 2nd diamond.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
well played

I was laughing out loud by the time you said you need to hit it harder. Well played.

I remember I was at a cabin with my kids once and the refrigerator opened on the opposite side of ours at home. The handle wasn't very distinct and she was trying to open it on the hinge side. I shouted out to her that the door was really sticky and you really had to give it a good yank to get it to open, then I winked at my son as we watched her go to town. Come to think of it I'm glad she didn't topple the sucker onto herself, that would've been a bit of a buzz kill...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you ever seen a jump shot where the cue ball lands and performs a masse?
Of course. Such shots are pretty standard. But this new question has nothing to do with the original question except they are both about masse shots. The path of a jumping masse shot also cannot close on itself, which means you still can't get circular masse.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course. Such shots are pretty standard. But this new question has nothing to do with the original question except they are both about masse shots. The path of a jumping masse shot also cannot close on itself, which means you still can't get circular masse.

If you can get it to bounce multiple times, curving each time, you can complete the circle though. Thats the big secret.

This shot however requires special shoes, a jump cue made by a monk living in the Himalayas, 3 magic beans, and a talisman to ward off trolls. :thumbup:

tt55~1_R_1594ce84.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you can get it to bounce multiple times, curving each time, you can complete the circle though. Thats the big secret.

This shot however requires special shoes, a jump cue made by a monk living in the Himalayas, 3 magic beans, and a talisman to ward off trolls. :thumbup:]
Actually, all it takes is one small cactus of the right variety.;)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To get barely 180 degrees the CB can only go straight out and straight back with no sideways motion. Any sideways motion and you get less than 180 degrees of direction change.

pj
chgo

justnum

Silver Member
If you have ever seen a coin fall on the floor roll on its edge in a circle, thats what I was going for.

But in the case of the coin I imagine its the weight of the circle pulling it in the circular direction. As it rolls its falling inward.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you have ever seen a coin fall on the floor roll on its edge in a circle, thats what I was going for.

But in the case of the coin I imagine its the weight of the circle pulling it in the circular direction. As it rolls its falling inward.
Right. A ball can't "lean" like that.

pj
chgo