who are the straightest shooters of all time?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
josh and jayson seem to stand out these days
ronnie o. comes to mind..those snooker cats can pocket
there's a lot of talent out there now
and historically, all-time
who do you like to split the pocket, and under pressure?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's not the easiest assignment as the equipment has varied with time.

The old timers seemed to feel that Luther Lassiter was the straightest shooter by a mile. Perhaps two years ago, I mentioned this to Nick Varner, who quickly retorted that Lassiter may well have been the straightest shooter that ever picked up a stick, current players included. I saw Lassiter play when I was a kid on a few occasions, but only saw him play straight pool.

Others from the last generation of players who were superhumanly straight shooters include Willie Mosconi, Earl Strickland, Mike Sigel, Jose Parica, Johnny Archer, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy Caras, Nick Varner and Jim Rempe.

Today, I believe the straightest shooter is Fedor Gorst, and I've felt so for about two years now.

Still, a case can also be made for all of these, presented in no particular order.

Jayson Shaw
JL Chang
Josh Filler
Ruslan Chinakhov
Shane Van Boening
Albin Ouschan
John Schmidt
Niels Feijen
Dennis Orcullo
Klenti Kaci

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Didn't notice the snooker part of your question, but the snooker players all shoot straighter than even the straightest shooters at pool. Which ones are the straightest ever is tough to say, but names like Steve Davis, Steven Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan need to be on the list.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't notice the snooker part of your question, but the snooker players all shoot straighter than even the straightest shooters at pool. Which ones are the straightest ever is tough to say, but names like Steve Davis, Steven Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan need to be on the list.

The straightest shooter in snooker has to be Judd Trump. I think even Ronnie would admit that. Some of the shots he attempts and makes are out of this world. There are a number of his shot compilations on youtube - you will need a jaw support to watch them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie was one hell of a shot maker

When he had his mixture right & got in that zone he pocketed balls as good as anybody i ever saw.

Attachments

• 1450766_10201424022866047_1629458845_n.jpg
    1450766_10201424022866047_1629458845_n.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 878

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg Stevens was considered the best shot maker of all i heard of

St Louie Louie was also very straight shooter

I would have no idea how these new guys compare
Jay would probably have a lot of first hand knowledge

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
in the last 12 mos or so FILLER has shot straight, real straight.

i can't recall anyone shooting straighter

i've not watched GORST play, if SJM says he shots straighter than FILLER i'll have sweat some soon

EARL impressed me by well he played on a 10" table, that x-tra size tests shot making ability

That said Louie might not have been the greatest shot maker, but, he hit the edges of balls better than anyone i've seen.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Of the snooker players, my pick is Jimmy White...made a great living as a pro...
...it was said that his knowledge of safeties could be written on the head of a pin...
..he didn’t need to know many conservative shots.

When snooker was much more popular in the USA...no American beat Jimmy Moore on a
6x12.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't all great players great shotmakers?? All shoot straighter than Dick Tracy. In my own experience(guys i've seen live) i'd say Buddy, CJ, James Walden and Matlock shot the eyes out of the balls WHEN NEEDED. I saw Greg Stevens play but it was after his road days. He could still flat gin it but not like before. One other is Canadian Gerry Watson. Short, compact stroke and that cat had NO dog in him. Made them when he needed to.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Aren't all great players great shotmakers??

No, not relative to each other, and this thread asks us to name the straightest EVER shooters. Not that many pros are even in the conversation.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not relative to each other, and this thread asks us to name the straightest EVER shooters. Not that many pros are even in the conversation.
There is NO WAY to define the STRAIGHTEST shooter. How do you define straight? Is there one clear definition?? Being able to shoot the cueball in a laser-straight line every time? Making the most balls?? What?? How are you ever going answer the OP's question?? I don't think it can be truly answered. My answer was just based on what i'd seen IN PERSON.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nobody mentioned the obvious?

Willie Mosconi

I mentioned him in post #2, but I've nearly never heard anyone suggest he shot as straight as Luther Lassiter, even though Willie was the best player in his day, and possibly ever. Willie's position play was leagues ahead of Lassiter's, whose name wouldn't even come up in a "best ever position player" thread.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is NO WAY to define the STRAIGHTEST shooter. How do you define straight? Is there one clear definition?? Being able to shoot the cueball in a laser-straight line every time? Making the most balls?? What?? How are you ever going answer the OP's question?? I don't think it can be truly answered. My answer was just based on what i'd seen IN PERSON.

Agreed 100%, and this point has often been made on this forum.

When discussed, a common conclusion is that if you can answer the question "if your life depended on the pocketing of a fairly difficult but not very difficult shot, who would you nominate to shoot it for you?", you'll get a good sense of it.

While Fargo gives insight into it, straight shooting is really about who passes the eye test, and is therefore at least somewhat subjective as playing conditions and equipment change over time.

Of course, who is the best at anything usually involves some subjective determinations, but those who've watched closest and most often will usually have the greatest sense of it.

One day, affordable technology may be out there to determine whose stroke is, scientifically speaking, actually the straightest, but for now we're stuck with the eye test and our best educated guess.

Finally, I think the majority of us feel that comparison of players across the generations of the game is near impossible, but many enjoy trying, so such comparisons are likely here to stay on AZB.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the snooker players, my pick is Jimmy White...made a great living as a pro...
...it was said that his knowledge of safeties could be written on the head of a pin...

So true. White was the entertainer. Pot a 12 footer off the rail and then beat himself by trying to top the last shot.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed 100%, and this point has often been made on this forum.

When discussed, a common conclusion is that if you can answer the question "if your life depended on the pocketing of a fairly difficult but not very difficult shot, who would you nominate to shoot it for you?", you'll get a good sense of it.

I think I read in BD (or P&BM possibly) that Luther Lassiter had been asked exact same question and he said that the only person he’d let shoot if his life depended on it was the Cincinnati Kid, Don Willis.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even close.

Mark Williams...past world Snooker Champion. Only fellow I’d bet on to consistently sink balls in a 12 foot snooker table into a 3.5 “ pocket.

After Williams then Shaun Murphy, Judd Trump, Ronnie O’Sullivan. Steven Hendry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uolmI6XD_aI

Mark Williams has held the title of the best single ball potter for about 20 years but I think Judd tops him in that department

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think I read in BD (or P&BM possibly) that Luther Lassiter had been asked exact same question and he said that the only person he’d let shoot if his life depended on it was the Cincinnati Kid, Don Willis.

Famous quote in which Wimpy showed great respect for his friend and road partner. An ever more famous quote is that of Lassiter, when he said "I watch a man shoot for an hour. If he misses more than one ball, I know I can beat him."

It will take an older man than me to compare these two greats, both of whose best pool was probably played in the 1950's.

Last edited: