Orchid Cue - Friar's Club

luckyd

Interesting Orchid cue...never been played. Two shafts. Friar's Club and JMM on the butt. Curious about the year of manufacture. Anyone help?

Attachments

• friars263.jpeg
    friars263.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 645

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The only famous person I can think of with the initials JMM is John Michael Montgomery, a country singer. Have no idea if he has ever had any connection with the Friar's Club but obviously he isn't a comedian.

Interesting Orchid cue...never been played. Two shafts. Friar's Club and JMM on the butt. Curious about the year of manufacture. Anyone help?

I have done a lot of research on Orchid cues, and I believe that this particular "Orchid USA" cue was made by Adam, in Japan.

Several aspects of these particular Orchid cues remind me of the style of Adam cues.

Similar ringwork, very similar piloted joint, and the points and inlays appear to be very similar to many Adam cues that I have seen in the past.

I also know that Adam has made cues for many other companies, and put their logo on their cues in the past.

I am just a big fan of Adam cues, and have a lot of respect for them.

I think they were very well made cues.

I do not know, but maybe whoever originally ordered that cue had it customized.

I have seen that cue before, and I know that it is an "Orchid USA" model.

My best guess is that these cues were probably made in the 90's.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have done a lot of research on Orchid cues, and I believe that this particular "Orchid USA" cue was made by Adam, in Japan.

Several aspects of these particular Orchid cues remind me of the style of Adam cues.

Similar ringwork, very similar piloted joint, and the points and inlays appear to be very similar to many Adam cues that I have seen in the past.

I also know that Adam has made cues for many other companies, and put their logo on their cues in the past.

I am just a big fan of Adam cues, and have a lot of respect for them.

I think they were very well made cues.

I do not know, but maybe whoever originally ordered that cue had it customized.

I have seen that cue before, and I know that it is an "Orchid USA" model.

My best guess is that these cues were probably made in the 90's.

I worked a trade show in the mid 90s and set up the Adam's booth and was paid in cues at the time. Adam's had a new line "Orchid cues" at the booth. I ended up with a decent pre production cue that I think I I still have somewhere. The quality was decent on some of the ones they had in the booth but you could tell some were rushed to get them there for the show.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this same cue. Taiwan built cue, supposedly by Ernie Chen of Falcon/KPS. Decent quality and played ok. Mine wasn't built as nice as what ADAM would have made. You could feel inlays and points slightly.

Last edited:
I had this same cue. Taiwan built cue, supposedly by Ernie Chen of Falcon/KPS. Decent quality and played ok. Mine wasn't built as nice as what ADAM would have made. You could feel inlays and points slightly.

Many Adam cues were not perfect either, in the same ways that you mentioned.

I understand that Falcon had a lower end line of cues, called Orchid cues, but I also understand that Orchid has had several different logos over the years.

All of the logos looked very different.

Is it not possible that the cue you had was not made by Adam?

Have you seen the original catalog that Falcon cues had for their lower end line of Orchid cues?

Are you sure that they were the same Orchid cues as this particular Orchid cue?

I worked a trade show in the mid 90s and set up the Adam's booth and was paid in cues at the time. Adam's had a new line "Orchid cues" at the booth. I ended up with a decent pre production cue that I think I I still have somewhere. The quality was decent on some of the ones they had in the booth but you could tell some were rushed to get them there for the show.

That is really cool to learn that Adam did build a line of cues with the Orchid brand name.

From what I have seen, many of the different Orchid cues have logos on them that look different.

Some just say Orchid on them, and they are the ones that look very low quality, but the ones that say "Orchid USA" on them appear to be very good quality, and have several Adam style similarities about them.

Also, the finish on the ones that I have seen look to be very good quality. They just do not appear to be a very low end cue.

Here is a pic of an Orchid that may have been apart of the lower end line of Falcon cues.

Attachments

• 1493042791_20170424_110341.jpg
    1493042791_20170424_110341.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Here is another pic of an Orchid cue that I believe was made by Adam, in Japan.

See the pilot on the shaft of the Orchid cue? That pilot looks identical to the pilot that I have seen on many Helmstetter cues. The ringwork on these cues also looks very similar to Adam cues.

It is very obvious to me that these 2 cues were not made by the same cue maker.

One thing that is strange though, is that this cues logo says "Orchid U.S.A" on it, but the OP's Orchid cue has a logo that is a little different, that says "Orchid USA", without the dots between the USA. So, I do not know what this could mean.

I do not think that all Orchid cues were made by the same cue maker though.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Here is another Orchid cue that I found pics of. The logo on this one looks just a little different, with no dots between the USA in the logo.

I see that the pilots are identical though. Same Adam style pilot on both cues.

Attachments

• P9120443.jpg
    P9120443.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 197
  • P9120444.jpg
    P9120444.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another pic of an Orchid cue that I believe was made by Adam, in Japan.

See the pilot on the shaft of the Orchid cue? That pilot looks identical to the pilot that I have seen on many Helmstetter cues. The ringwork on these cues also looks very similar to Adam cues.

It is very obvious to me that these 2 cues were not made by the same cue maker.

One thing that is strange though, is that this cues logo says "Orchid U.S.A" on it, but the OP's Orchid cue has a logo that is a little different, that says "Orchid USA", without the dots between the USA. So, I do not know what this could mean.

I do not think that all Orchid cues were made by the same cue maker though.

I have this cue but mine came with no logo at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another Orchid cue that I found pics of. The logo on this one looks just a little different, with no dots between the USA in the logo.

I see that the pilots are identical though. Same Adam style pilot on both cues.
This is the exact model i had. Not an ADAM.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a beautiful pool room
the woods and designs are perfect

ithink practically veryone would be happy with a pool room like yours