When you are in the market for buying a cue, do you prefer to buy New, or Used cues?

I wanted this to be a Poll, but could not figured out if there is a Poll option on this forum for doing that, and there does not appear to be an option for creating a Poll on here.

Just curious to learn if more people look into buying a brand new cue, then people who would rather look on the used market for a cue.

I never really looked into buying a new cue, because any cues that I really like, are not within my price range, of what I can afford to spend. So, I have always looked on the used market for something I really like, within my price range.

It makes me wonder how the cue economy is doing, if most people are looking to the used market, rather then paying retail price for what they want.

I understand that if you can afford it, and money is not an issue, then you are going to go to a site like Seyberts, and pick out whatever cue you want, or if you are just a beginner, and not really worried about quality, then you might just go buy yourself a McDermott Star cue, brand new, for $60-$80 retail.

But if you really want a Schon, for example, and do not have $600 minimum, or however much the retail prices command for a new Schon, then you are going to look on the used market for a used Schon.

Still makes me wonder though. Do most players pay retail prices for brand new pool cues, or do you look to the used market for something you might like?

I also understand that if need your cue customized, with a certain weight, taper, tip, and other customizations, then you are probably going to want to buy the cue new, and have the factory customize the cue to your preferences.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I honestly mostly buy new, a few used, it depends upon the Cue. If a Titlist blank is 50 + years old, then converted in your mind is it new or used?:confused:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New or very lightly used with full untouched shafts is how I like to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted this to be a Poll, but could not figured out if there is a Poll option on this forum for doing that, and there does not appear to be an option for creating a Poll on here.

Just curious to learn if more people look into buying a brand new cue, then people who would rather look on the used market for a cue.

I never really looked into buying a new cue, because any cues that I really like, are not within my price range, of what I can afford to spend. So, I have always looked on the used market for something I really like, within my price range.

It makes me wonder how the cue economy is doing, if most people are looking to the used market, rather then paying retail price for what they want.

I understand that if you can afford it, and money is not an issue, then you are going to go to a site like Seyberts, and pick out whatever cue you want, or if you are just a beginner, and not really worried about quality, then you might just go buy yourself a McDermott Star cue, brand new, for $60-$80 retail.

But if you really want a Schon, for example, and do not have $600 minimum, or however much the retail prices command for a new Schon, then you are going to look on the used market for a used Schon.

Still makes me wonder though. Do most players pay retail prices for brand new pool cues, or do you look to the used market for something you might like?

I also understand that if need your cue customized, with a certain weight, taper, tip, and other customizations, then you are probably going to want to buy the cue new, and have the factory customize the cue to your preferences.

When you create a new post you can do a poll. I think you can go to advanced edit mode and actually convert a post to a poll also.

What most people are doing on here is not really a good judge of the market since we are in the top % of enthusiasts and players. It's like going to a car forum and asking what the car market is like, they will likely tell you that Mustang Cobras and Porsche 911 sales are good, when you want to know about Camrys.

For me, used or new does not matter, unless I am buying a true custom made cue and want the maker to make it to my design and specs I don't care one way or the other. Whatever is available in what I want in the time span I want to get it.

I would guess some mom looking to buy a cue for her kid as a gift would go to Amazon or WalMart first and just buy whatever they find for the price they want to spend and not really think about buying a used one.

I don't think I would ever get a large name brand cue and have them customize it, if I felt like a McDermott I would just get one in however it was made without any extra stuff. If I wanted a real custom spec cue, I'd look for a cue maker that's some guy in his house with a lathe.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people never buy a cue they haven't seen or hit,
but I never felt that way

think about it,a fella like this could never order a new custom cue

I used to call George,Gus or Jerry and say make me cue,
they asked "how much you got to spend?

I would say,and they would tell me when to expect it

I asked if they wanted the money now or when they sent it

Very seldom did they even ask how long,how heavy how many mm

I bought cues like this from Billy Stroud, Gus, George, Larry Vigus, Jerry Franklin and others

It really was that simple

After Jerry passed away our friendship had left me in a spot to still be getting cues
when ever someone with a deposit on a cue flaked out,Laurie would call and ask"I got a cue you want it?"

I would always be glad toget it and never asked what it was, just how much

When the box came I opened the box chalked it up and startrted playing with it until
someone offered me a profit.

I always liked every one of them,no wonder people love those cues

Now it is Larry Vigus,his cues look great,play great and when he calls
I pay.

He likes to build what he likes,he doesn't enjoy me telling him what and
it works great for everyone

Pool is fun ,not just playing but the fooling with cues

Golf is the same way,I spent hours with guys like Lee Trevino tinkering with hois clubs,
bending the shafts angles,replacing shafts,grips etc

Arnold Palmer tinkered with his clubs too ,and designed his own putter

My advice is to get involved with the cue business,buy ,play,sell trade.
you end up meeting nice people and having fun

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Living about a four hour drive from SBE I don't care about new or used. But I will never again buy anything without a test-drive.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m quite picky about only wanting to buy a new, never been hit cue or shaft directly from a distributor who I know I can trust has never allowed the cue to be hit.. I honestly rarely let anybody even try it out, except maybe for a few shots by higher level players, and even then with very clear stipulations not to ever think about touching any ball with the shaft of the cue to move it and not any extreme draw shots that would entail a chance of a miscue. If anybody puts a ding in it, it will be me.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both

I have bought both. I collect a certain type of cue that is no longer made so I have to buy those used.

My current playing cue, jump cue and break cue were bought brand new.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought cues like this from Billy Stroud, Gus, George, Larry Vigus, Jerry Franklin and others

It really was that simple

Good for you. But for most of us, it has not been that simple. I really wanted the experience of working with a one of a select group of cuemakers to build something custom for me. But it never happened. By the time I got in life to where I could afford whatever I wanted, I could not get one of those cuemakers to build me a cue. The two cues that were built for me were not delivered as I requested. Very frustrating.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have done both and the cues I own are a combination of brand new and previously owned.
All of the cues I bought in the secondary marketplace are pristine which is always prerequisite.

And my new customs, well, understandably, the condition of those cues were & still are, flawless.
I have a very discerning eye when it comes to my pool cues and pretty much pool cues in general.

Just like with my gun collection, every one is pristine despite being used. The same applies to my
pool cues but even more so because my cues are used more often than my guns are.....thank God.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
buy new with production cues and take advantage of their warranties, or used custom but not from a cue seller/dealer, they overprice their cues. example, sugartree cues you buy from him directly can cost arounf $1K, ive seen them for sale here at $1750 plus.
I say new with production bc buying them used they normally get treated like shit, a $200 McDermott gets thrown around, a custom is usually well cared for by most owners.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd personally get a 14mm over a 13mm if I wasn't concerned about resale.

Question:

Those of you who buy cues new, that mentioned sizes somewhere between 12mm and 13mm, do you order them like that?
Whenever I see a cue in the for sale section, with like a non whole number like a12.6mm or 12.3 shaft, always wonder if the shaft was ordered like that or sanded down by the owner(or previous owner) or turned down by a pro.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shafts on all my cues are basically the same size as when the cue-maker made these cue shafts.

However, I have burnished & waxed the shafts using Renaissance so there’s likely a minuscule reduction.

I have never had the shafts on my cues turned down by a professional. I prefer keeping the original sizes.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Used usually. Like buying a car, let someone else take that initial depreciation hit. Market is FULL of good used stuff. Just take your time.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New costs too much. In my entire life I've only bought 3 serious cues. All used. All rolled straight and still roll straight.

Most recent purchase was something I was forced to do because the fingertips on my grip hand became rough and irritated and I needed a wrapless cue. Spent $200 on an "unknown" ebay cue. I knew what it was. Eric Iorgov. His cues play better than what he charged for them. I was surprised to learn he sold his equipment and quit making cues. Good cuemaker.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd personally get a 14mm over a 13mm if I wasn't concerned about resale.

Question:

Those of you who buy cues new, that mentioned sizes somewhere between 12mm and 13mm, do you order them like that?
Whenever I see a cue in the for sale section, with like a non whole number like a12.6mm or 12.3 shaft, always wonder if the shaft was ordered like that or sanded down by the owner(or previous owner) or turned down by a pro.

I've wondered the same thing.

From the early 70s until the 80s, I always ordered my cues (custom or production) with 14mm shafts and that is what I preferred to play with. I still have my first custom from 1973 and it has two shafts that were ordered at 14mm, but are now down to 13mm, or a bit less. I had a new 14mm shaft made for it when I had Proficient Billiards restore the cue and shafts.

Only in the last several years have I bought cues with smaller diameter shafts.

I own about a dozen cues now and some are production and some are custom. Most of them have 13mm shafts and a couple have 12.5mm and my Becue is 12mm.

I use a closed bridge, and, for feel, I prefer the thicker shafts to the thinner ones.

As far as trying a cue before buying it, I have done both. Most of my older customs and production cues were ordered new, to my specs, but without a chance to test them first.

Of my most recently acquired cues, I've had a chance to hit with them before I got them. All of them were and are in pristine condition. I didn't buy them because of the name or looks, I bought them because they hit good. A Becue, a Jackpot, a Gulyassy, a Tucker, and a couple more.

If I had the opportunity, I'd always prefer to buy a cue after I had a chance to play with it first, but that is impossible to do when ordering a custom cue from a maker or a new production from the factory. In that case, you just have to hope that the cue you ordered hits like the one you may have owned or tried beforehand.

I had Richard Black make me maybe the best hitting cue I ever had back in 1978. In 1981, a guy in the Philippines kept bugging me to sell it to him, so I ordered a new cue from Richard and sold the first cue to the guy before I tried the second one. The second one cost more, but there was no comparison in the way they played. The first cue ran circles around the second one and I always regretted selling the first one.

In 1985, I bought a C-14 McDermott that may be one of my best ever cues, that ran circles around the second Black, so I sold the Black. I recently turned down $1500 cash for the McDermott after a guy hit a few balls with it.

People overrate custom cues. I like them, but there are some production cues that are made just as well and play equal to, or better, than some customs.

Each cue is unique. Some people will say a cue is the best hitting cue in the world and another person can pick it up and say it plays like a dog.

I know what kind of "hit" I like in a cue, so all of mine are some of the best-hitting dogs in the pound.

Woof, woof.

:)

Last edited: