A consistent bridge helps with aiming

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a tournament many years ago, Grady Matthews was running the betting book and during a match between David Howard and Mike LeBron there was a lull in the action at his station, so I talked with him a little about his ideas on aiming
He espoused that various bridges are compatible with different physiques and hand sizes to give a clean pure stroke without 'steering' or adding side spin where it was not needed.....which could still occur, but not as likely. And could affect aiming without the shooter even realizing it.
Grady said for follow shots, he always used either Mike Sigel's bridge or the open hand bridge.
For draw shots he used a closed bridge exactly like Ray Martin.
He advocated experimenting with various bridges, making notes of the various consistencies and adapting/changing as necessary. Regardless of the aiming method chosen.
Grady was a smooth ole bird. And was always playing the better percentages.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good info. Good thread. I always liked Grady, enjoyed watching him play, enjoyed listening to his commentary too. I think players could surely benefit from his advice, using an open bridge on follow shots or near center cb shots, and using a closed bridge on draw shots. I like open bridge on long shots, where I can see more of the shaft.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think players could surely benefit from his advice, using an open bridge on follow shots or near center cb shots, and using a closed bridge on draw shots. I like open bridge on long shots, where I can see more of the shaft.
I like an open bridge for sighting purposes too, and don't use a closed bridge at all except when there's no room on the table for my open bridge (which is a little wider than my closed one).

What's your reason for preferring a closed bridge for draw shots?

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I like an open bridge for sighting purposes too, and don't use a closed bridge at all except when there's no room on the table for my open bridge (which is a little wider than my closed one).

What's your reason for preferring a closed bridge for draw shots?

pj
chgo

It depends on the power I'm putting into the shot. For most draw shots I feel good with open or closed. But anytime I'm truly loading up on the cb I'll use a closed bridge. It's more comfortable for me. I don't even think about it really....I mean, when I place my bridge hand on the table it forms the bridge that best fits the shot for me. I don't have to consciously tell myself which bridge to use on which shot. I think that's what low500 was saying, that if you experiment with diffent bridges you'll find what works best or most consistently for you. Do it long enough and you're no longer even thinking about it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the power I'm putting into the shot. For most draw shots I feel good with open or closed. But anytime I'm truly loading up on the cb I'll use a closed bridge. It's more comfortable for me. I don't even think about it really....I mean, when I place my bridge hand on the table it forms the bridge that best fits the shot for me. I don't have to consciously tell myself which bridge to use on which shot. I think that's what low500 was saying, that if you experiment with diffent bridges you'll find what works best or most consistently for you. Do it long enough and you're no longer even thinking about it.
I agree. Draw shots require more "snap" in the stroke and a closed bridge, for me anyway, is always more secure and provide better control of the cue. Some soft draw shots an open bridge may be ok but on firm/hard draws i'll always close the bridge.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, I think lots of (most?) players are most comfortable with a closed bridge for big spin shots - probably because it's distracting to have the shaft jump out of their bridge (and bad practice to try to keep it down by clenching the grip). Since that jumping shaft doesn't matter to the shot (unless it distracts you) I've just learned to ignore it - lots of times my shaft ends up on my wrist and I don't even notice.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think lots of (most?) players are most comfortable with a closed bridge for big spin shots - probably because it's distracting to have the shaft jump out of their bridge (and bad practice to try to keep it down by clenching the grip). Since that jumping shaft doesn't matter to the shot (unless it distracts you) I've just learned to ignore it - lots of times my shaft ends up on my wrist and I don't even notice.

pj
chgo

I was playing a guy not too long ago and his cue fell completely out of his hands, both hands, and rolled across the table. First time I ever saw that happen. I remember thinking, "what the hell was that?" Lol

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was playing a guy not too long ago and his cue fell completely out of his hands, both hands, and rolled across the table. First time I ever saw that happen. I remember thinking, "what the hell was that?" Lol
Now that's a loose grip! :)

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good post! I use a closed bridge for everything, except in special situations, of course. Mosconi recommended a good firm foundation for the cue to rest in with the hand turned so as to maximize the amount of contact between the cue and the fleshy skin between the thumb and index finger. Then, hold the cue in with the index finger snug, but loose enough to allow free cue movement, of course. The idea was to help prevent the cue from wobbling.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you Brian. The bridge is automatically made according to the shot without thinking about it after playing for so long. But I've always wanted to do a power draw shot with an open bridge. After trying for a while I gave up on it and just relied on a closed bridge. The guy in the video does a power draw shot with an open bridge. On his second shot you can see the cue jump up and down on his bridge hand.

https://youtu.be/3GsRIPSTWfo?t=192

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
[with a closed bridge..] The idea was to help prevent the cue from wobbling.
Another reason I like an open bridge is that it's my "canary in the mineshaft" warning me when my stroke is wonky. If my shaft moves sideways at all in the "v" before contact with the CB I know there's a hitch (often something grip related).

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another reason I like an open bridge is that it's my "canary in the mineshaft" warning me when my stroke is wonky. If my shaft moves sideways at all in the "v" before contact with the CB I know there's a hitch (often something grip related).

pj
chgo

I understand, but let's say you are on the money ball and you have a few nerves. If we accept for the moment that the tight-ish closed bridge does actually dampen wonkiness, I think I want all the help I can get to assure I make the ball. I can test my stroke during practice sessions.

Maybe there are pluses and minuses to both methods.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any minuses for either, except for preference.

pj
chgo

Well, if a closed bridge can help you play steady under pressure that would be a plus. If, on the other hand, it allows you to get sloppy with your stroke that would be a minus.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard someone around here took a lesson from Earl about 5ish years ago.

Earl spent the entire hour fine tuning his bridge hand position.

When I heard that I thought it was just silly, now I wish I could spend an hour like that.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I heard someone around here took a lesson from Earl about 5ish years ago.

Earl spent the entire hour fine tuning his bridge hand position.

When I heard that I thought it was just silly, now I wish I could spend an hour like that.
I don't think I'd take a lesson from Earl.

pj <- maybe if he threw in free ass weights and finger extensions
chgo