Would putting my pool balls in an Ultrasonic cleaner be a horrible idea?

Bryce1552

Registered
Just curious, I purchased a large industrial one a few months back for motorcycle parts and it seems to clean anything I drop into it with ease but I do know if something is too soft it can pretty much destroy it.

Or should I just buy some cleaning product?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try one ball, for 30 seconds then check it out. I would use the cue ball.

I have cleaned a lot of jewelry with one and many pieces were more delicate than a pool ball.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I suspect it will be fine. Likely not so dirty that ultrasonic cleaning will do more than wiping. And won’t be able to apply any finish/polish to the ball.

Try it out and report back. I’m sure others would be I interested in this.

-td

Bryce1552

Registered
A little hesitant to try it on my new aramith set, I'm going to try and pick up some old yellowed beaters next time a cheap set pops up on craigslist unless someone wants to donate an old set to science. regardless I'll update with the results!

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little hesitant to try it on my new aramith set, I'm going to try and pick up some old yellowed beaters next time a cheap set pops up on craigslist unless someone wants to donate an old set to science. regardless I'll update with the results!
ask your pool hall to borrow one

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Potential re-write to get more interest: “anyone want me to clean their balls in the name of science? My place or yours.” Bwahahahaha

-td

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Will one of those thing clean the underside of a frying pan? If so start a business cleaning them! If you were within 30 miles, i'd bring some to you!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't Do It.

I think it's a terrible idea. Immersing billiard balls has ruined sets; search this forum for examples. Second, they will damage each other where they touch while in there. Finally, it's completely unnecessary, there are better ways to clean them.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a terrible idea. Immersing billiard balls has ruined sets; search this forum for examples. Second, they will damage each other where they touch while in there. Finally, it's completely unnecessary, there are better ways to clean them.

...Agreed....

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

I searched. Didn’t find anything saying don’t immerse balls. In fact, found a few resources saying to soak them 5 minutes or more. Can you point to something that says don’t do it? It’s virtually a non-porous object so water should do nothing.

Also, what damage could contacting balls have. That is literally their function. All they do is contact each other - every rack. Every shot.

Finally, I don’t think the OP was suggesting this is the best way. Just that he thought of it and wondered.

-td

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched. Didn’t find anything saying don’t immerse balls. In fact, found a few resources saying to soak them 5 minutes or more. Can you point to something that says don’t do it? It’s virtually a non-porous object so water should do nothing.

Also, what damage could contacting balls have. That is literally their function. All they do is contact each other - every rack. Every shot.

Finally, I don’t think the OP was suggesting this is the best way. Just that he thought of it and wondered.

-td

I can't find it now, but I saw a thread online (might have been reddit) where a guy soaked a set of balls while he went for a jog, and when he returned, they were ruined.

Balls touching at ultrasonic frequencies for an extended period is quite different than balls colliding on the table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I suspect it will be fine. Likely not so dirty that ultrasonic cleaning will do more than wiping. And won’t be able to apply any finish/polish to the ball.

Try it out and report back. I’m sure others would be I interested in this.

-td

You got me at ‘no finish or polish’....I like that.
...what is the cost of one of them things?

BlackMDX

Registered
I can't find it now, but I saw a thread online (might have been reddit) where a guy soaked a set of balls while he went for a jog, and when he returned, they were ruined. .

What did he soak them in? It must have been caustic to ruin them! I’ve run two used sets through the dishwasher and it didn’t do any harm. It didn’t shine them the way I had hoped, so I still had to do a lot of hand polishing, actually machine polishing, to shine them up.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did he soak them in? It must have been caustic to ruin them! I’ve run two used sets through the dishwasher and it didn’t do any harm. It didn’t shine them the way I had hoped, so I still had to do a lot of hand polishing, actually machine polishing, to shine them up.

I had a set that I wanted to sell and soaked them in mild dish detergent for a little while- don't recall how long, but 10-30min- and upon removal, the once slick outer layer was no longer slick.

Using polisher on them didn't return the slick for long.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
caustic soda

I had a vat of caustic soda. The only thing I put in that it didn't eat overnight was steel.

The local hall almost certainly has a few mismatched spares or undersized cue balls to devote to science. I would ask before sticking a matched set in there.

I don't know how pool balls are made but I do know that some have a top coat or two. Eat that top coat and they aren't ever going to take the same shine or so I believe.

Hu

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You got me at ‘no finish or polish’....I like that.
...what is the cost of one of them things?

You dont like the way brand new Aramith balls come out of the box?? That's the way my 3 sets of balls look and feel when they come out of my Diamond ball polisher using Aramith ball cleaner.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
use warm water and dish soap with your hand. using your hand will keep the polish on the ball. nuff said.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
use warm water and dish soap with your hand. using your hand will keep the polish on the ball. nuff said.

Disagree.

I vote for a product specifically designed for pool balls and I choose aramith polisher. They have all the info and have done all the work.