Color of money question

What's your take on Eddie losing to Amos (forest whiticre) did Eddie get hustled or did Eddie dump to lose Vince and the girl?

Amos was a great actor / hustler. Great at making himself look like he was not a good pool player. Eddie was hustled, but even after he realized it, he kept wanting to play more (because he thought he was the better player). It was a really depressing scene (I always thought). That line that Amos says at the end of the scene was funny though. He says something like "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", and then walks away laughing (if I remember correctly). It has been a long time since I seen the movie.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.

This thread was about a COM hustle... If someone saw COM but never
saw The Hustler they wouldn't have a clue about Eddies broken thumbs.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, that scene is just like the first Fats scene in The Hustler. Eddie shows his 'born loser' side. While playing Amos he gets cocky, stays in the game too long and ends up loser. Same as first time against Fats. The line, 'do you think I need to lose some weight?' ' is a call back to that game, referencing Fats. It fuels his comeback again. The book COM and the movie are considerably different. To me, the movie COM is a mash of the book and the movie Baltimore Bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also agree with some of the others. Eddie KNEW he was being played, but he was feeling so sorry for himself, that he did not want to stop it. He was a straight ticket in self destruct mode.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question: yes, Color of Money actually is a bad movie, again focussing on losers and degenerates :cool:

And I'm not really sure what this hairdo is that Cruise is wearing.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question: yes, Color of Money actually is a bad movie, again focussing on losers and degenerates :cool:

FYI - the quality of a film is not judged by the moral desirability of the fictional characters
that appear in the story.

In point of fact, COM is an excellent film that just happens to deal with people you don't seem
to care for.

Did I mention none of them are real?

Dale

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
Eddie tells us in his own words

When you listen to Eddie real closely after Amos asks him "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", smiles and leaves; it hits home.

Eddie: How could I get suckered like that?

You got to work hard.

That takes a real gift to show your a$$ like that.

Everything in a stack.
Everything-- just probably a little too much booze...
a little too cocky...
right amount of jerk...
to miss all those f@#$% signals.

I think Amos realized that Eddie was on the hustle and out-hustled him. That made it even worse for Eddie when he realized what had happened. By asking about his weight, Amos was rubbing it in.

Later, when Eddie forfeited his match with Vincent, it was a moment of redemption for his past sins and another teachable lesson for Vincent. It hit home for Eddie when his girlfriend told him she was a big fan of "character" in people. Took him back to when Burt forced him into retirement. Burt said he had talent but lacked character; but Eddie picked up character in a hotel room in Louisville.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want a real treat , read Ned Polskys Hustlers Beats and Others.
Better than a trip to the river after a huge flood.
The hairdo is a modified, pompadour, ducktail combo, by Toots Suite the Hollyweird hairdresser.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walter Tevis wouldn't even know, because the movie has an entirely different plot than the book. It's two different stories. Tevis wrote Color of Money as a sequel to the Hustler. It's about Eddie hooking up with Fats to do some ESPN matches. They become very good friends. Unlike the movie, there is no hot shot, upcoming star. I liked the movie, but the book is a much better story.

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Great response JMD,
:thumbup:
When you listen to Eddie real closely after Amos asks him "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", smiles and leaves; it hits home.

Eddie: How could I get suckered like that?

You got to work hard.

That takes a real gift to show your a$$ like that.

Everything in a stack.
Everything-- just probably a little too much booze...
a little too cocky...
right amount of jerk...
to miss all those f@#$% signals.

I think Amos realized that Eddie was on the hustle and out-hustled him. That made it even worse for Eddie when he realized what had happened. By asking about his weight, Amos was rubbing it in.

Later, when Eddie forfeited his match with Vincent, it was a moment of redemption for his past sins and another teachable lesson for Vincent. It hit home for Eddie when his girlfriend told him she was a big fan of "character" in people. Took him back to when Burt forced him into retirement. Burt said he had talent but lacked character; but Eddie picked up character in a hotel room in Louisville.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walter Tevis wouldn't even know, because the movie has an entirely different plot than the book. It's two different stories. Tevis wrote Color of Money as a sequel to the Hustler. It's about Eddie hooking up with Fats to do some ESPN matches. They become very good friends. Unlike the movie, there is no hot shot, upcoming star. I liked the movie, but the book is a much better story.

Spot on. I read both books last summer. Fats has a big presence in the Color of Money book and Vincent is non existent. Eddie learns from Fats how to play barbox pool to earn money. Fats basically retires on money he makes on barboxes.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
He was hustled by being beat by his own pride...he just couldn't play as well as he used to and couldn't accept it. Although not expressed the same way, it was in the COM book. The whole book is about Eddie's desire to get his speed back and compete at the top level, after having lost most of it since he quit "big time pool" per the Hustler's end, divorce, bankruptcy, etc. Redemption of his self worth, not some higher thing, but his own value to himself.

The movie was great, not as good as the book, but almost IMHO...it was a very cool story and a good vehicle for a sequel; doing the actual book in a movie might have been a tough box office sell.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned (here) is that Eddie was a straight pool player in his past, while Amos was a 9-ball player. There is something to be said for changing games.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
In my mind Eddie was a sucker.
He was a go off with booze, women and even at his best game, pool.
Even when he beat the guys in the bar , he wasn't satisfied with getting the money , he had to taunt them, until they broke his thumbs.
In my book, that is a sucker.
He just happened to play better than most.

How about a spoiler alert, huh pal?

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Amos was a great actor / hustler. Great at making himself look like he was not a good pool player. Eddie was hustled, but even after he realized it, he kept wanting to play more (because he thought he was the better player). It was a really depressing scene (I always thought). That line that Amos says at the end of the scene was funny though. He says something like "Do you think I need to lose some weight?", and then walks away laughing (if I remember correctly). It has been a long time since I seen the movie.

Oh that's why TK 6 is on Eddie's Cadillac???