Old
  (#16)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-21-2013, 05:48 PM

I worked on speed for 2-3 days and since it was snowy and icy out in SW Indiana tonight i said what the heck, i am going to break a few racks. So, i end up hosing a handful of runouts and each and every time it was because i left myself tough due to my speed being off 2-4 inches.

I guess I am going to be a pool loser my whole life.

Mike

Old
  (#17)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
I worked on speed for 2-3 days and since it was snowy and icy out in SW Indiana tonight i said what the heck, i am going to break a few racks. So, i end up hosing a handful of runouts and each and every time it was because i left myself tough due to my speed being off 2-4 inches.

I guess I am going to be a pool loser my whole life.

Mike
with that attitude yes
with more diliberate practice no

im not an instructor

Old
  (#18)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
with that attitude yes
with more deliberate practice no

im not an instructor

I am going to keep trying though. The game brings me to my knees quite often. I guess if it was easy then everybody could play like Nick Varner.

Mike

Old
  (#19)
Taco
AzB Silver Member
Taco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2013, 12:44 PM

I think hitting the CB up and down table with no OB is probably a worthwhile drill. The first shot in Kim Davenport's Target Pool is playing the CB from the foot spot and leaving it on the head spot without running into a rail. Try it - it's a *****.

IMO, it gets a lot harder to control speed when youíre running into an OB. In a ľ-ball hit the CB is going to travel a lot farther than in a Ĺ ball hit (where the CB & OB will travel the same distance). If you add English into the equation it gets more complicated still. Running English will make the CB fly off the rail and I tend to over-hit those shots because I know I have to hit it hard enough to have the spin intact when the CB hits the rail, but softly enough so it doesnít fly out of control. Thatís finesse, and some people got it and others donít (I wish I had it).

Old
  (#20)
Taco
AzB Silver Member
Taco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond reputeTaco has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2013, 12:52 PM

I meant b*tch, not *****.

Old
  (#21)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member

08-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Speed Control hasnt been mentioned here in the Instructor Forum for awhile so I thought I would bump this thread. I believe its something I need to work on again.

And yes, I know this thread is over 7 years old!

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#22)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-08-2020, 10:48 AM

And then there's the opposing view, which is shared by literally 100's of PBIA/SPF instructors...and that is training the student to develop (through feel and timing) speed control right out of the gate...first lesson! Seems to have worked really well for tens of thousands of students out there! So, even though DCP revived another years old thread, the truth remains the same...but Mike you still refuse to believe it! No real surprise here why you continue to struggle.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post

I think it's one of the last pieces of the puzzle in developing a strong pool game. Some people think you can start to develop it early on. I don't. I think it's one of the last things to develop in a player's game because it's pure 'feel.'

Drills can help, but you need to put yourself in real playing situations, where you have to move the cb around other balls. It's when you have to be creative where a good sense of speed control really comes in handy.

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 08-08-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Old
  (#23)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
Speed Control hasnt been mentioned here in the Instructor Forum for awhile so I thought I would bump this thread. I believe its something I need to work on again.

And yes, I know this thread is over 7 years old!

r/DCP
We didn't have time to work it last time, but your bridge and tip gap are both a tad long IMHO.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: