Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.
Page 10 of 11 « First 8910 11

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#136)
yobagua
AzB Silver Member
yobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brumback View Post
Thanks good buddy! Guess I'll have to come out there to do it,since your scared to come to KY John B.
Do they allow anyone that has a membership to PETA and the ASPCA in KY? I play a little banjo does that help?
Maybe Vegas??

Old
  (#137)
brooklynplayer
AzB Silver Member
brooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond reputebrooklynplayer has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2015, 09:49 AM

As someone pretty (ok, very) new to the online pool world (and pool in general) I have my moments with Danny

I like his knowledge of the games and the players and usually enjoy him (except when he does his weird pieces of trivia which are completely false, like french fries being invented in Vienna...er, no)

Having checked out a bunch of past matches, Grady and Billy hands down were amazing, but Danny still has his great moments but sometimes I just put my Johnny Miller hat on and scream at the computer screen ha

But anything beats the free streams with two ppl talking over each other about everything under the sun other than the match at hand - I even watched one match where someone scratched and the next rack had begun and they were too busy talking about what they were eating to even notice.. its allll good tho!

Brooklyn, NY
Twitter: @jamesduncan

Golfer

Danny Diliberto
Old
  (#138)
Pope
Registered
Pope is on a distinguished road

Danny Diliberto - 08-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Have to disagree with user saying Danny D's commentary is brutal.
That's Danny... a straight up guy who tells it like it is. ( Read his book Road Player)
Danny's forgotten more about pool than any of us will ever hope to know.
(Yes...Danny is getting up there in age...but he is still sharp as a tack...we should all be so lucky to be as aware as he is at his age.)
Danny and Billy Incardona are great together ! Always ribbing each other and neither one ever backing down.
Pointing out shots before they happen, disagreeing in a professional way among themselves but each guy has tremendous respect for the other and are the best of friends.

I love all the tidbits of side info they tell us about and past stories....they make the game so much more interesting. Great partners in the booth and they know each other inside out having spent time on the road together during the heydey of pool.
We're so lucky to have these guys in the booth.....they are the last of a bygone generation of pool players. If you like colorful and knowledgeable commentary...there's none better than these two !! (Have many Accu-Stats tapes with them doing commentary.)
As far as Grady Mathews....great knowledgeable commentator, but I think himself and Billy Incardona each worked better with other partners....I have many of their tapes and they would definitely butt heads because each are very opinionated.
I think one of the best partners Billy Incardona has had is Buddy Hall, Incardona has said that one of his favorite players too watch was Buddy....who has a wealth of knowledge about the game and considered one of the great nine ball players.

Danny Diliberto
Old
  (#139)
Pope
Registered
Pope is on a distinguished road

Danny Diliberto - 08-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Have to disagree with user saying Danny D's commentary is brutal.
That's Danny... a straight up guy who tells it like it is. ( Read his book Road Player)
Danny's forgotten more about pool than any of us will ever hope to know.
(Yes...Danny is getting up there in age...but he is still sharp as a tack...we should all be so lucky to be as aware as he is at his age.)
Danny and Billy Incardona are great together ! Always ribbing each other and neither one ever backing down.
Pointing out shots before they happen, disagreeing in a professional way among themselves but each guy has tremendous respect for the other and are the best of friends.

I love all the tidbits of side info they tell us about and past stories....they make the game so much more interesting. Great partners in the booth and they know each other inside out having spent time on the road together during the heydey of pool.
We're so lucky to have these guys in the booth.....they are the last of a bygone generation of pool players. If you like colorful and knowledgeable commentary...there's none better than these two !! (Have many Accu-Stats tapes with them doing commentary.)
As far as Grady Mathews....great knowledgeable commentator, but I think himself and Billy Incardona each worked better with other partners....I have many of their tapes and they would definitely butt heads because each are very opinionated.
Grady many times would just dominate the commentary and would question Billy on many shots which would get on Billy's nerves. Eventually, he just let Grady do most of the talking which was a shame because Billy strategy commentary is second to none.

I think one of the best partners Billy Incardona has had is Buddy Hall, Incardona has said that one of his favorite players too watch was Buddy....who has a wealth of knowledge about the game and considered one of the great nine ball players.

Old
  (#140)
The_JV
Local_Pro
The_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Because of Danny, I know there's a host of potential competition out there for me that aren't practicing the most overrated shot in the game... ....the break.

Thanks Danny, I appreciate it

A simple game, played by difficult people...

Old
  (#141)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 07:56 AM

mark me down for brutal as well

pay jeremy jones to do all commentary please

bill incardona as well

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Last edited by Texas Carom Club; 08-05-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Old
  (#142)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-05-2020, 08:33 AM

Once upon a time, Danny's commentary was excellent, but that was at least ten years ago. At his best, he was the premier commentator for 14.1 and a very capable commentator of one pocket. His nine/ten ball commentary, to me, always showed an outdated comprehension of the game and showed a general lack of insight into the way it's played in this era. Nonetheless, he was always a pretty good storyteller and could be entertaining at times.

That he continued to commentate even as his commentary skills declined is nothing to be bothered about, for he has been a credit to our game for a long, long time, and his commentary gigs continue to afford those of us who attend events valuable opportunities to see him and catch up.

Danny's a treasure in our game for sure.

Old
  (#143)
markjames
AzB Silver Member
markjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 08:48 AM

I think he is great. One time his partner in the booth asked him
About kaciís neck tattoo. He said his father would never let him
Get a tattoo because he could be identified by the police, and then
The story turned to the time some guy was trying to rob a bank
But then some guy ahead of him in line robbed the bank before he could!

Now thatís a pool story!

Is he old? Yeah.

Did the patriots resign tom brady? No.

Old
  (#144)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 09:51 AM

He's hit or miss nowadays, for a while I couldn't stand it, the last few times I watched he was better.

I think the ball colors get him quite a bit, as they do a lot of people much younger.

I was in the "no more Danny" crowd for a while(even though I like his stories and him personally) he seems to be doing better now and who knows how long those stories will be with us, not many of those guys left.

Every time I scratch in the side, I hear Danny saying if you're gonna hit a ball towards the side pocket, don't hit it hard enough to scratch. Lol

Old
  (#145)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_JV View Post
Because of Danny, I know there's a host of potential competition out there for me that aren't practicing the most overrated shot in the game... ....the break.

Thanks Danny, I appreciate it
most *over* rated shot?

danny is getting on in years, but I'd rather listen to him rap than most of the rest
in fact, I've been enjoying him bounce off of mark wilson lately on accu-stats vids
and since commentary is so often performed in tandem, chemistry is crucial
to contrast, I have not been enjoying listening to mark wilson and double j together
tho I could listen to either one solo, just about any time

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#146)
Cbrown1
Registered
Cbrown1 is on a distinguished road

08-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Danny is a legend but no longer belongs in the booth. Without Mark Wilson helping him through it, gently correcting him to keep viewers on right track, Danny would implode on his own.

In the match I watched today Danny suggested a single elimination format where the losers get the electric chair. Novel idea but I don’t thing it will take.

I’m just going to go back to watching where every time a player misses Danny exclaims “he sold out!”. Catchy the first 300 times he says it, but after that it is as worn out as a five dollar hooker.

Mark Wilson and Jeremy Jones are the current gold standard in commentating. Any match they do is must see tv and the knowledge that they pour out is truly amazing.

Old
  (#147)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrown1 View Post
Danny is a legend but no longer belongs in the booth. Without Mark Wilson helping him through it, gently correcting him to keep viewers on right track, Danny would implode on his own.

In the match I watched today Danny suggested a single elimination format where the losers get the electric chair. Novel idea but I donít thing it will take.

Iím just going to go back to watching where every time a player misses Danny exclaims ďhe sold out!Ē. Catchy the first 300 times he says it, but after that it is as worn out as a five dollar hooker.

Mark Wilson and Jeremy Jones are the current gold standard in commentating. Any match they do is must see tv and the knowledge that they pour out is truly amazing.
you make a great point, mark does help him
but danny will hip mark, too
and they get along well, have good chemistry
mark is more technical and matter-of-fact
danny comes with the quips, the old knowledge and stories
individually, I might prefer mark or jj in the booth
but as it's usually a team effort in pool commentating
may "he sold out!" ever please these ears

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#148)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrown1 View Post
They are both very good, but I'd rate Billy Incardona as better than both of them.

Old
  (#149)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-05-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
They are both very good, but I'd rate Billy Incardona as better than both of them.
Wholeheartedly agree. I wont even listen to non stop JJ anymore. Marc is pretty accurate but not fun like Billy.

Old
  (#150)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 07:42 PM

As far as I am concerned, Danny gets a pass, lifetime plus 25 years.
Whats brutal is the girl that commentates 1 pocket and plays it at a D level .
That's bru uh uh uh tal !

Page 10 of 11 « First 8910 11

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: