Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.
Page 5 of 11 « First 345 67 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#61)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

01-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Nobody dislikes him, nobody is denying his pool talents and past accomplishments, they just want an announcer who does the job well. Not every baseball player or football gets an announcer gig when they retire, they must be good at it and prove themselves.
And there is the crux of the matter.

Each commentator has their own innate style and learned style of commentary. I don't believe I have ever heard of one commentator who has never received negative criticism on this forum.

Sometimes people just don't like:

1. The sound of the commentator's voice or the noises they make when speaking.
2. Their ability to predict what should or might happen or their ability to state what did happen.
3. The quality of their stories.
4. Their ability to keep the commentary on track and flowing.
5. Their ability to make the guest commentator look and sound knowledgeable and comfortable.
6. Their particular idiosyncrasies.
7. Their bias for a particular player or group of players.
8. Their inclination to monopolize the commentary.
9. Their inclination to talk about themselves nonstop.
10. Their lapses of concentration on the match at hand.
11. Their sluggish responses to what's going on at the table.
12. Those commentators who have a particular shtick that irritates you.
13. Those commentators who take the opportunity of sitting behind the mic to sell their personal product the entire time they are in the booth.
There's a lot more where that came from but you get the idea.

If people wanted a higher level of commentary, I mean truly wanted a better commentary product, they would need to pay a lot more money than they are currently paying.

One idea to improve commentary that I have always championed was something I learned from working with Dustin McCollum. He regularly fed information to the commentator via the headset and this in my opinion really made a difference in the quality of the commentary. It also helped that Dustin was not alone in providing the Live Stream. This takes more manpower and this means more money.

Also, it is impossible for commentators to sit in the booth hour after hour and sounding excited and fresh. Again, that means additional commentators which means more money.

The best commentators are usually the ones you hear infrequently. I know, I know, Billy Incardona is the best of the best, except for those couple of guys who don't like his style (you know who you are).

It's all good. Don't be mad at me Billy.

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#62)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-28-2015, 09:45 AM

The best commentary that I've ever heard was Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, and Corey Deuel. IIRC, it was for the CSI One-Pocket event.

IMO, from the streams I have watched, Danny D should never do commentary.

2pack Dave - World Class "C Player"
My man crush Monday is Matt Spina

Last edited by DAVE_M; 01-28-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Old
  (#63)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-28-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzilla View Post
I don't see what the big deal is !!!

He isn't trying to deceive anyone.
He corrects himself after he can see it turn out different.
And he takes it in stride.

Thank you for your good feedback for Danny D mostly.
And your constructive criticism.

We need to hang on to Danny as long as we can !
I agree, I have always enjoyed his commentary.

Old
  (#64)
Shannon.spronk
Anybody read this?
Shannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

01-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobagua View Post
I think that if you knew Danny you could understand why you might not like him. Not everyone does. Sometimes he rubs you the wrong way. Sometimes he overides your opinion by one of his own. He wont argue with you. He will just tell you like it is and how he feels about it. You dont agree then fine.
But one thing you will come away with is that he is brutal. Brutally honest that is. I mean a man that has been through what he has and accomplished the things that he has doesnt have to explain himself. You either like him or not.
I think disagreeing with a opinionated commentator is fine. But I find that those who use words like terrible dont even come close to the knowledge Danny has or has accomplished anything close to what he has done. In tournament play or on the road.
Those who cry "terrible" I feel just dont know what it is to be in the position that Diliberto has climbed to. Try it sometime and see how many of us just turn you out.
I dont mind people not liking Danny but I know many in the know who do.
I dont like watching Shane Van Boening. I think he personally is unappealing and not my cup of tea. But I have tons of respect for him and would get his DVDs just to watch his talent. I dont like Mika either but I have many of his DVD's. Why because I love the game. I dont have to love a player nor a commentator. Neither do you. But if you dont respect their accomplishments then its says more about you than them.
Actually I know Danny pretty well. He is a great guy and role model. If you knew half of the battles that hes had on the road and with life you would just stand amazed. It is one's loss that they would never know a man like him. Just imagine living in a perfect world with a perfect commentator to a pool match. You would just be listening to yourself. And thats sad.
I respect everything that he has done. He accomplished a great deal of things. At this point I dont think being a good commentator is one of them. This is of course just my opinion and I am not denouncing the man's accomplishments. I just don't agree with what some have had to say. I can respect all that he has done without thinking he deserves to be in the booth. Those are two separate things to me.

Custom Set: Jim Baxter
Playing Cue: Burl on Burl with OB1 (Kitech Hard)
Extra Shaft OB1 (Kamui Black Hard)
Break Cue: OB Rift
Jump Cue: Predator Air II
Extension: 5.5" Burl
Case: JB Rugged 3X6
Chalk Holder: Custom 3D Printed Nickel Steel by ME

Old
  (#65)
yobagua
AzB Silver Member
yobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon.spronk View Post
I respect everything that he has done. He accomplished a great deal of things. At this point I dont think being a good commentator is one of them. This is of course just my opinion and I am not denouncing the man's accomplishments. I just don't agree with what some have had to say. I can respect all that he has done without thinking he deserves to be in the booth. Those are two separate things to me.
Like I said I dont mind if people say they dont like him. I dont like Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise. A lot of people do. Everyone has an opinion. But in pool if you say someone is terrible and suck the response is get up there and play him some then. Well it aint that easy is it.
Respect is all I ask.

Old
  (#66)
oldzilla
Accu-Stats Messenger
oldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1050

01-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon.spronk View Post
I respect everything that he has done. He accomplished a great deal of things. At this point I dont think being a good commentator is one of them. This is of course just my opinion and I am not denouncing the man's accomplishments. I just don't agree with what some have had to say. I can respect all that he has done without thinking he deserves to be in the booth. Those are two separate things to me .
I guess so, one is about pool and let me see

the other is about pool !

The International 9-Ball Open
http://www.accu-stats.com/

Accu-Stats produced DVD's are now $9.95
VOD https://vimeo.com/accustats/albums

-----------------
http://www.accu-stats.com/liveppv.html
http://www.accu-stats.com/

Old
  (#67)
Shannon.spronk
Anybody read this?
Shannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond reputeShannon.spronk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

01-28-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzilla View Post
I guess so, one is about pool and let me see

the other is about pool !

Yes they are both about pool but they are certainly not the same. If they were the same we could just call them the same thing right? I just dont see the exclusivity that having been a great player makes you a great commentator.

Custom Set: Jim Baxter
Playing Cue: Burl on Burl with OB1 (Kitech Hard)
Extra Shaft OB1 (Kamui Black Hard)
Break Cue: OB Rift
Jump Cue: Predator Air II
Extension: 5.5" Burl
Case: JB Rugged 3X6
Chalk Holder: Custom 3D Printed Nickel Steel by ME

Old
  (#68)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
01-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Danny dreamed a tiny alien with a glowing pitchfork jabbed him in the heel last night. When he woke up he had 3 equidistant red spots on his heel. Billy Gibbs saw them.

DD's conclusion
"Aliens are here and they know how to measure perfectly!!" *

That line alone makes it worth putting up with all his flubs.

PS-somebody check DD's room for bed bugs.

Last edited by Nostroke; 01-28-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Old
  (#69)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 04:06 PM

When I was a kid there was only one baseball game on television a week, the game of the week. Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese did the commentary and play by play. They would argue, tell stories, at some point in the game Dizzy would sing the Wabash Cannonball - some people couldn't stand them but I loved them. I could see what was happening by watching television, I didn't need anybody to tell me what was happening. Dizzy and Pee Wee entertained. They made the game fun to watch.

Danny DiLiberto entertains.

Would you rather hear "now he is going to pocket the 2 ball. Now he will pocket the 3 ball and draw back for the 4. Now he will pocket the 4 ball and roll forward for the 5. Now he will pocket the 5 and go one rail to the 6"...

Old
  (#70)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Everyone is overlooking how well he calls One Pocket.

He is so sharp with the positional calls!

His color commentary is enjoyable!

He is not great for people who don't want entertainment with their dinner.

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

What does a laughably out of touch old man sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type79
Stay in your lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
I own you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach

Old
  (#71)
actionplayer
AzB Silver Member
actionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
The best commentary that I've ever heard was Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, and Corey Deuel. IIRC, it was for the CSI One-Pocket event.

IMO, from the streams I have watched, Danny D should never do commentary.
totally agree, I mean its not even closely contested that he is horrible in the booth
it is not even his random off topic stories that make no sense
or his blatant obvious or wrong tactical verbiage

it is a combination of all and his dynamic with the co commentator you can hear the other commentator always trying to reign him in or cover for his blatant mistakes

as paying customers i agree cheap so we get the boppttom of the barrel but surely they can get players who are not playing or someone who is not great but someone who is not going to make customers mute or turn off completely

Old
  (#72)
Lumocolor
AzB Silver Member
Lumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond reputeLumocolor has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-28-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool101 View Post
He calls a lot of shots I do not see, but I am not much of a 1pckt player. His calling the balls the wrong number do to the colors shows how bad the colors confuse the players. I hate watching the stream with the tv balls, I can't tell what F..in ball they are talking about half the time. Danny seems to have it worse, at least I can tell a stripe ball from a solid.
Mark
Can't teach old dogs new tricks... or colors.

Old
  (#73)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member
SJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-28-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobagua View Post
I think that if you knew Danny you could understand why you might not like him. Not everyone does. Sometimes he rubs you the wrong way. Sometimes he overides your opinion by one of his own. He wont argue with you. He will just tell you like it is and how he feels about it. You dont agree then fine....

......I dont mind people not liking Danny but I know many in the know who do. I dont like watching Shane Van Boening. I think he personally is unappealing and not my cup of tea. But I have tons of respect for him and would get his DVDs just to watch his talent. I dont like Mika either but I have many of his DVD's. Why because I love the game. I dont have to love a player nor a commentator. Neither do you. But if you dont respect their accomplishments then its says more about you than them.....

.....Actually I know Danny pretty well. He is a great guy and role model. If you knew half of the battles that hes had on the road and with life you would just stand amazed. <--Would that not apply to just about any of us, who 'chose' life on the road, hustling pool ?
Mr. (Wu ) Yobagua, you make some good points, in your assessment of DD's skills, (or lack of them) as a commentator... As you can see, many think Danny makes so many errors in his observations, that he is borderline 'unwatchable', much of the time !..If he needs the little additional income it provides him, that is another matter entirely !

Nothing wrong with your defense of him, as a storyteller or role model, but as you said, he does rub a LOT of people the wrong way !..And, he has no problem trying to force his often mistaken opinion, on whoever is in the booth with him !.. You are right, its his way, or the highway !..I don't recall him EVER admitting he was wrong, about anything !

To put it in a different perspective, I respect your opinion in the entertainment business..Do you think Jay Leno, or Letterman, will be allowed to continue on, when they become old, easily irritated, and incompetent, and can no longer even read their cue cards ?..Granted, thats an exageration, as pool commentating, is nowhere near as demanding as their jobs !..But most of us prefer enjoying our pool fix, without having to turn the sound off !

Believe me, I am very aware of the 'aging process', and the toll it takes !.. But there are so many guys MUCH more suited to filling his shoes !..Buddy Hall, JJ, Cardone, and several other semi-retiree's come to mind...They can also share stories, and none of them have the proverbial 'chip on their shoulder' that Danny seems to display, more and more as he gets older !

I don't wish any ill will, towards Danny, but I would bet Roberto Duran, (and several other fighters) wish they had stepped down sooner, rather than push themselves beyond their limits...I'm not referring to his excellent boxing career, just his choice of retirement vocation IMHO, a fitting analogy..... No big deal one way or the other, Mr. Wu !..Just bored, and felt like discussing one of my favorite subjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
I don't believe I have ever heard of one commentator who has never received negative criticism on this forum. ....OK, You got me Joey...I am going to give you the nod over Danny !
( but just barely)

SJD--Will work for Yukon Jack !

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 01-29-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Old
  (#74)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-28-2015, 09:30 PM

Dick...Just thought you'd like to know you were mentioned in a poem read at the 1-Pkt HOF dinner last night! He mentioned all the greats!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#75)
yobagua
AzB Silver Member
yobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond reputeyobagua has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 10:45 PM

I'm not arguing whether Diliberto deserves the job or is the best at it. I already said I'm biased. Danny is like familia to me and where I come from we back our kin.

Everyone here has a right to an opinion. But it is just that. Danny fought for everything he has and if you don't think he deserves it then go ahead take his place. Or take his place from him. Start a letter writing campaign to Pat at Accu-stats. Start walking the line at Accu-stats offices demanding a different commentator.

I'd love to hear San Jose Dick, Jeremy Jones, and Buddy Hall but they have to fight to get that spot. Not just blah blah about he's no good and not worthy. That's beneath any comprehensive and intelligent conversation. One says he's great the other says he's lousy. So what?

As you might know Danny wasn't there for Turning Stone. He was supposed to but he landed in the hospital and his doctor didn't want him to go. They didn't want him to go to the Derby either. But feisty as he is, he is there. He loves it. It is his life. So you don't like it, take it away from him. Like me we have no illusions about reality. We both aren't going to be around that much longer to give a dxxn. We just want to do the things that we like doing before it is our time. That gives us pleasure. You don't like it ok do something about it.

We all will come under criticism. If not now then in the future. From our boss, our partners, our kids, the state, the public, etc, etc. Its how we deal with this adversity.
And how we reach the goals we set for ourselves.
All I can say about Danny is he has reached goals that break parameters and he set the line high above ones expectations. So he's okay. He's content. He'll be fine. No matter what you do.

Keone

Page 5 of 11 « First 345 67 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: