Congratulations to AZB's own TheOne!

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While TheOne, AKA Craig Riley doesn't post here too often these days, he is a long time regular poster here in years gone by and placed a remarkable 9th in the US Open 8-Ball Championship a few days ago, with quality wins over Roberto Gomez and Jason Klatt, only to get knocked out in successive matches by Rodney Morris and Rafael Martinez.

The draw is here: http://www.ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=761c9e89-df81-41d7-8e6a-9327dee55fce

What makes his performance more impressive is that he is basically a part timer, not having played in a pro-level event for 5 years.

Craig is now an Australian Citizen, having moved over from the UK a year or so back!

Colin

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Seems fitting that he moved to the homeland of Bryce Courtenay...
.....who wrote The Power of One.

An excellent read

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craig is a super person and I wondered what had happened to him. He kinda fell off the radar. We met some years back when he came to play the Eurotour in Rankweil, Austria and I took him to Lichtenstein to watch England play on a big screen TV: I'm not even sure which year World Cup it was. Glad to hear all is well with him!

Steve

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't he post a pretty good 14.1 run several years ago? Would like to see it again.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Craig's a good friend, and apparently, he's still The One!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
While TheOne, AKA Craig Riley doesn't post here too often these days, he is a long time regular poster here in years gone by and placed a remarkable 9th in the US Open 8-Ball Championship a few days ago, with quality wins over Roberto Gomez and Jason Klatt, only to get knocked out in successive matches by Rodney Morris and Rafael Martinez.

The draw is here: http://www.ctsondemand.com/mobilebracketviewer.aspx?BracketID=761c9e89-df81-41d7-8e6a-9327dee55fce

What makes his performance more impressive is that he is basically a part timer, not having played in a pro-level event for 5 years.

Craig is now an Australian Citizen, having moved over from the UK a year or so back!

Colin

Hi Colin,

Had the pleasure of playing Craig in the BCAPL Masters 8 ball event. Sure plays really well. Nice guy. Introduced him to Lee Brett. Class act!

Lyn

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin:

I think it was a 79 ball run in a pool hall, on a table near the door.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member

Colin

Apologies for the tardy response, I have just made it back home as I took a couple of weeks vacation after Vegas.

Many thanks for the kind word Colin, much appreciated.

I had a blast in Vegas and it was great to finally put a face to the Cardiac Kid, an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to play against.

The truth is I played poorly in the Masters singles and I spent the first week or so hating competing again and I had much admiration for the players that have been playing the game professionally out of a suit case for lets face it, not much reward for the many years since I last hit a ball in anger. Unless I'm mistaken I think the last pro event I played was the world 14.1 in 2007, I'm getting old!

The flip side of the coin was the feeling I got when I somehow managed to transfer my practice game to the match against Roberto Gomez, from 3:2 down I didn't miss a ball and ran 7 racks (he had 3 dry breaks) which was probably the best I've played in a match against a top top player in memory. I played ok to beat Klatt too but I ran out of steam and couldn't reproduce that form and I'm still cursing the chances I had against Rodney and Martinez. :mad:

Thanks also to SJM and no-sho, hopefully we'll bump into each other again sometime, I still have fond memories of meeting you guys and my time on the road.

Cheers

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Apologies for the tardy response, I have just made it back home as I took a couple of weeks vacation after Vegas.

Many thanks for the kind word Colin, much appreciated.

I had a blast in Vegas and it was great to finally put a face to the Cardiac Kid, an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to play against.

The truth is I played poorly in the Masters singles and I spent the first week or so hating competing again and I had much admiration for the players that have been playing the game professionally out of a suit case for lets face it, not much reward for the many years since I last hit a ball in anger. Unless I'm mistaken I think the last pro event I played was the world 14.1 in 2007, I'm getting old!

The flip side of the coin was the feeling I got when I somehow managed to transfer my practice game to the match against Roberto Gomez, from 3:2 down I didn't miss a ball and ran 7 racks (he had 3 dry breaks) which was probably the best I've played in a match against a top top player in memory. I played ok to beat Klatt too but I ran out of steam and couldn't reproduce that form and I'm still cursing the chances I had against Rodney and Martinez. :mad:

Thanks also to SJM and no-sho, hopefully we'll bump into each other again sometime, I still have fond memories of meeting you guys and my time on the road.

Cheers

Craig,

Speaking of gentleman, look in the mirror!!!!

Wish I could have given you more of a match. Still, your play was near perfect. Guess I still have a long way to go before I match up with you again :eek: . Going to go back to practicing regularly and after another fifty six years of that, I MAY be up to the task ;) . Absolutely the very best to you.

Also want to comment on the teams from down under. You guys and gals really know how to have fun!

Lyn

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Craig and friend John Wimms at the Hard Times Jamboree in Sacramento 2005.
Both did well and finished in the money against an always tough crowd.

Attachments

• Chris Calabrese John Wims Craig Riley.jpg
    Chris Calabrese John Wims Craig Riley.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 132
  • Craig Riley and John Wims.jpg
    Craig Riley and John Wims.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 129

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Craig and friend John Wimms at the Hard Times Jamboree in Sacramento 2005.
Both did well and finished in the money against an always tough crowd.

Thanks Tom, more good times!

I have two stand out memories from that event:

1) It was the first time I saw Buddy Hall play in person and although he may have been in the twilight of his career it took me about 2 seconds to realise what a class player he was and must have been and I couldn't get enough of watching him play, quality!

2) Arriving back at my hotel at around 6am in the morning after a rather wild night out on the beer and having to play Manalo at 11am (who had just won Reno and had punished everyone so far)! I somehow took 6 frames off him whilst managing not to throw up, another truly class player.

All round great event, such a shame there's no real money in pool :(

Attachments

• July05-05.jpg
    July05-05.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 114

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see you paused from visiting your 100 and something odd Country and regaled us with a brief insight into your runout ridden world ;-)

We'll have to meet up at the next Aussie 8 Ball event... hopefully up that way!

Cheers,
Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see you paused from visiting your 100 and something odd Country and regaled us with a brief insight into your runout ridden world ;-)

We'll have to meet up at the next Aussie 8 Ball event... hopefully up your neck of the woods!

Cheers,
Colin

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member

We'll have to meet up at the next Aussie 8 Ball event... hopefully up your neck of the woods!

Cheers,
Colin

Ha, all too brief Colin! :)

There's an Australian Open 8 Ball event in November in Sydney if you feel like popping over, otherwise I'm sure I'll end up in Melbourne at some point next year, get the beers ready!