More on perceived snobbery.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When these "I hate snobs" type of posts come up, a few specific items seem to always get mentioned. And then, because of those items, the groups gets branded as snobs because of our collective negative experience with those specific items. I think that's really it.

I.e.,

Meucci cues.

Meucci cues get bashed on a weekly basis. Not just here, but every other board on the internet. And Meucci Cues can retail into the thousands. They generally don't get bashed at the local pool hall, or the local league. But, the average person who buys a Meucci cue doesn't buy another cue to compare. Many of the posters on this board do buy other cues to compare. In my personal experience, I would have been happy as a pig in $hit to stick with my Meucci Cues. I've owned four of them. Today, each of those four had quality issues. Three of them, the inlays and points popped. The other one, the shaft warped horrible and upon close inspection, the wood simply sucked. Other than metal in rings, I do not own another cue that has a single pop of anything. I have cues that the metal rings have raised, but not popped. One cue that has a metal ring that popped: Cuetec (see below). If I never owned another cue other than Meucci, I would have thought it was normal for the "witness lines" to develop stronger as the years go by. Newbies call this "bashing" and "snobbery." The rest of us will call this "passing on experience."

CueTec Cues.

We don't bash on CueTec Cues because they're cheap. We bash them because they're cheaply made. I own a Cuetec. I thought I'd try to break with it. It remains the only cue that I've owned that lost it's collar. And when the collar came off, you could clearly see just how pitiful the workmanship is. And, I might be the only person out there whose Cuetec fiberglass-clad shaft warped.

In my town's league area, there are a lot of Cuetecs sold. I had a team that there were five or six Cuetecs. Three of them had joint collar or shaft collar problems. The metal rings on some of the shafts have completely popped and have separated from the shaft. I can only assume that the other three also had problems, but I never looked at them that closely.

Is that snobbery? Bashing? No, it's reporting.

The only other cue that has "fallen apart" on me was... my Meucci when the buttcap fell off when I was changing the weight bolt. I can understand the delrin buttcap falling off, I guess, but the rings went too.

Low end mass-produced cues

What about other low dollar cues? Dufferin? Anyone want to be a snob against Dufferin? Doubt it. Low end Joss cues? Anyone? They're cheap. They're produced in high-volume. Anyone? Probably not. Or not many complaints. Cue mechanics may disagree. One of my favorite playing cues is a Huebler Sneaky Pete. I've yet to find one person who didn't really like the way this cue felt.

It's not the dollar amount. And it's not the fact that these cue are mass-produced. It's the fact that Meucci and Cuetec repeatedly have negative feedback in terms of quality. For some, they were surprised how sticky Cuetecs felt in the summer. Newer Cuetec shafts aren't so bad. And some Cuetecs will not have some of the quality issues and will play very well for a fortunate percentage of buyers. I think it's the constant negative feedback on these two that mostly give us a bad reputation for being "equipment snobs."

Yes other low-end mass produced cues have received negative posts, but it's not a constant thing. Some custom low-volume cuemakers also have received some negative posts. They all will have a problem here and there. It's the nature of producing and fabricating.

Gloves.

Let's face it. Gloves look silly and are going to be a point of ridicule no matter what you do (pool or otherwise). Especially since the gloves in pool are half-split that look like someone's fashion failure. But look at that post that someone asked "Do any real pool players wear a glove." Was there a single person who denied that many real pool players including several professionals where a glove? I wear one in the summer and in humid rooms. And I ridicule them. They look funny. Goofy. Down right hilarious. Especially if the color doesn't match with the rest of your outfit. What a faux pas. Is that snobbery??

Fred <~~~ needs a pink and black glove

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
gloves

I know gloves can be a wonderful thing since I spend most of my time playing in a swamp. However I can rarely resist telling any guy I am playing with that breaks out a glove that the hot pink ones work best. :D :D :D

When people move past just pocketing balls they should learn that it isn't true that a stick is a stick is a stick. It is far easier to learn with good equipment than bad and when they start trying to move the cue ball around with a poorly playing stick most will become very frustrated. Those that don't will become terrors when they finally get a real stick. As we all admit, a real stick doesn't have to cost a fortune. Basically it just needs a good shaft and joint, including the collars as you noted, and something resembling balance.

Hu

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Gloves:

Watching your every day hacker where a glove,to me is extremley funny.:D

But if John Schmidt or Earl Strickland came to town,I think most of the boys from the pool hall would bow down and loudly exclaim:

"We're not worthy!"
"We're not worthy!"
"We're not worthy!"

RJ

ps. Good post Fred

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
mine played just fine

My early eighties Meucci got the job done just fine, or at least I thought so at the time. Gave it away to a co-worker when I stopped playing pool for a couple of decades. I dang near puked when I saw the blue book on it. He wasn't nearly that good of a friend!

Hu

rackmsuckr said:
I noticed on eBay that the #1 search for billiards was 'Meucci'. :eek: :p

Dhakala

Banned
Gloves designed to improve one's grip are disparaged in pool but in no other sport where they are used: golf, baseball, football, archery, bicycling and motorcycling, car racing, tennis, racquetball, paddle ball, volleyball, weightlifting, gymnastics, hammer throwing, etc., etc., etc.

Why?

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
My early eighties Meucci got the job done just fine, or at least I thought so at the time. Gave it away to a co-worker when I stopped playing pool for a couple of decades. I dang near puked when I saw the blue book on it. He wasn't nearly that good of a friend!

Hu

I've heard that the early(from the 80's) Meucci's that were made were a high quality cue. I've also heard that the newer Meucci's after that and of today, are complete crap.
RJ

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
My 2 cents

Meucci cues.
I always had a high respect for them. A local old timer I knew had one with the Chess pieces around the bottom. I Loved that Cue. He has since passed years ago and I still wonder what became of it. Sometimes I want to call his old phone number and see if his Wife is still around and ask her about it. But I stop myself.

CueTec Cues.
My Wife gave me a 99296 B/J for my B-day 3 years ago, and I have never had a problem with it, Breaks good and Jumps Great.

I have a "Championship Cue" that my Mom gave me for X-Mas in 1974.
It was a Screw-on Tip model. Back in 1988 I had Wayne Gunn convert it to a Glue-on. It is still staright as an arrow.
I also have a Wal-Mart Titanium Cue by Halex. I paid 20 bucks for it, put a LePro tip on it and it has lasted 3 Florida Summers in the Trunk of my car.
It plays great and is straight as an arrow also.

Gloves.
Don't have sweaty hands so I never had to use one. When I see a Player using one, I don't even think about it. To each is own.:)

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
Meucci cues.

CueTec Cues.

Gloves.

Fred <~~~ needs a pink and black glove

Good points Fred, I agree with all of them, even that you need a pink glove.

Jim

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a bit suprised when I first started playing again recently and lurking on some pool boards to hear all the "hubbub" about the Meucci cues. I have a few sneakies that were purchased in around 1990 or so and they play great and have zero quality issues. I suppose it is hard to screw up a wood to wood joint plain jane sneaky though:D I think about getting something different sometimes but they work for me so I figure for now why bother:)

Steve - Detroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of "snobs" on here and other boards too, so what?? I’ve learned more about cues from these snobs than I ever could have learned at a pool hall. I’ve learned about pins, joints, ferrules, what to look for, what to look out for, one could write a book about cues from the info available here. If you like what you’re playing with, play with it.

And Fred, two things, one, guys do not wear “outfits”, maybe up where you live but not anywhere else and two, I noticed you changed your avatar, are the Yankees on winter vacation?:) :) :)

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
My Take on Meucci

I have several friends who shoot with them and love them. My local pool room operator dropped Meucci from his proshop line due to production quality issues and poor customer service. He said many of the cues that were sent to him had blurry patterns and signatures (on the butt cap). I took it with a grain of salt at the time, because being a newbie of sorts, I had always heard how great Meucci's were.

Then I went to the SBE in Valley Forge, and visited the Meucci booth. I was appalled to see that most of the cues on display were "factory seconds" with defects in the workmanship. Trade shows are where you put your best stuff on display, the new models and the high end cues in the line. I would be embarrassed to play with a cue that had "FACT SEC" engraved into the forearm...:rolleyes: ... That show was enough to change my opinion of them.

I also noticed that many of the Meucci users around here have Predator 314 shafts on them....If I could get an old original Meucci I might consider buying it, but I'd Never buy a new one...

I'm a McDermott guy.... Great playing cues and fabulous customer service will always make for repeat customers.

Oh and as far as the glove goes, I've never used one, but when I see someone wearing one, my mind hears the Micheal Jackson "Heehee" and I have to smile...... Aside from that I have no bias for or against them, I just think they look funny

McCue Banger McCue

Last edited:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:
Oh and as far as the glove goes, I've never used one, but when I see someone wearing one, my mind hears the Micheal Jackson "Heehee" and I have to smile...... Aside from that I have no bias for or against them, I just think they look funny

McCue Banger McCue

I agree they look somewhat funny, but if someone needs to use one, so be it.

FWIW, some time ago I gave up on those nylon gloves as they wear out too quickly, IMHO. Now I use a leather driving glove with the finger tips cut off. Looks mean. Someone said I look sinister with it. Now that's more like it :D

Flex

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dhakala said:
Gloves designed to improve one's grip are disparaged in pool but in no other sport where they are used: golf, baseball, football, archery, bicycling and motorcycling, car racing, tennis, racquetball, paddle ball, volleyball, weightlifting, gymnastics, hammer throwing, etc., etc., etc.

Why?

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the design of the glove itself kind of looks gay. It looks kind of silly when people wear it. They need to invent a new design, or invent a new glove, because these ones just suck. I personally don't use a glove because I have very dry hands, and even on hot humid days, if I burnish my shaft with a damp towel/dry towel it stays smooth and slick the entire time. When it's EXTREMELY humid, I resort to baby powder, but I barely use any, just a pinch is required and I'm good for an entire rack.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve - Detroit said:
There are a lot of "snobs" on here
You're mistaken. The lack of snobs is the point of the post. I was hoping people who had that incorrect view would get a better understanding of why people on this board say what they say.

And Fred, two things, one, guys do not wear “outfits”, maybe up where you live but not anywhere else
I'm sorry that the irony whooshed past. I'll type slower next time.

and two, I noticed you changed your avatar, are the Yankees on winter vacation?:) :) :)
It's not that big a deal. As is always the case, I put up my team's avatar at the right time. Since they lost, it's football season for me. If and when the Patriots lose, it'll be be something else until baseball is in full stride. I'm fortunate that both my teams have been perennial contenders.

In my experience, only those inexperienced at winning chide the team that is out when their own team wins. The phrase is, "act as if you've been there before."

Fred

Last edited:

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
..."It's not that big a deal. As is always the case, I put up my team's avatar at the right time. Since they lost, it's football season for me. If and when the Patriots lose, it'll be be something else until baseball is in full stride..." I'm fortunate that both my teams have been perennial contenders." ...

In my experience, only those inexperienced at winning chide the team that is out when their own team wins. The phrase is, "act as if you've been there before."....

Fred[/QUOTE]

:confused: Hey there Fred! just a question is this phenomenon fortune or the results of the art of selection? :confused:

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
... I'm fortunate that both my teams have been perennial contenders...
Fred

Fred,
As well as the Pats have done in RECENT years and as much as I hate the Yankees, I still don't think they both belong in the same class of "perennial contenders". Of course, if the Pats had listened to me and dumped Drew Bledsoe after his first season, maybe they would have done better sooner. Bill Parcells must be a glutton for punishment.
Steve.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
MrLucky said:
:confused: Hey there Fred! just a question is this phenomenon fortune or the results of the art of selection? :confused:

LOL!!! Good honest question. I lived in Syracuse, NY until I was about 7 or 8yrs old, and the Yankees had a AAA farm team there. OJ was still playing football, so the Yankees and the Buffalo Bills were my teams from when I was little (when I first really started following professional sports). Because of those years, I hated Tom Watson for a long time, and loved Bobo Brazil.

When I moved to Massachusetts, there was this one playoff game that still gets shows over and over on ESPN. Raiders vs. Pats. The Patriots lost the entire game on one play, IMO. A play that they like to call "the Phantom Pass Interference Call," that really handed the championship to Oakland that year. So, I've been a Patriots ever since. Even through the dismal years.

The Yankees losing the W.S. in 1976, but then winning in 1977 and 1978 sealed my allegiance to them. Even through the dismal years. Being a fan through the terrible years, I absolutely hate the fact that George Steinbrenner continues to try to buy championships, disrupting any team championship chemistry.

If I had known anything about the Red Sox, witnessing in real time their loss in 1975 would have probably made me a Red Sox fan. But I knew nothing about them at the time, since at the time it was like my first World Series that I ever paid attention to, no allegiance to them was formed.

Regards,

Fred <~~~ and now you know... the rest of the story

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
catscradle said:
Fred,
As well as the Pats have done in RECENT years and as much as I hate the Yankees, I still don't think they both belong in the same class of "perennial contenders". .

I guess I should have put the word, "recently." The Yankees up until 1995 were not perennial contenders for 15 years.

Fred