Power Breaking Instructional Video - By Request.

Unknown

just another banger
Silver Member
great video colin, i've been workin on my break quite a bit recently and i think this will help me quite a bit.

jjinfla

Banned
Great video Colin. I'm going to make sure that none of my playing partners watch it.

Moving the hand up really helped me. Now I will have to concentrate on the rest of your tips.

One thing I did notice is that you do not lift your right leg at the end like a lot of the other big breakers do. But I can't imagine your break getting any better than it is.

I wonder how long before the pool instructors incorporate your video into their schools?

Jake

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
This is absolutely GREAT information Colin. I recognized a few things I do, but there were more things that I don't do. Putting it all together like that makes for an incredibly powerful break. In the beginning when you just demonstrate a couple of breaks my attitude toward what I was going to hear changed from 'Let's see if I can learn something' to 'Holy Shit!!!, How is he breaking that hard?' I've seen people break that hard before but I've never heard anyone really be able to tell exactly what they are doing. EXCELLENT!

Thank you very much. I'll be working on it.
JR

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Great video Colin. I'm going to make sure that none of my playing partners watch it.

Moving the hand up really helped me. Now I will have to concentrate on the rest of your tips.

One thing I did notice is that you do not lift your right leg at the end like a lot of the other big breakers do. But I can't imagine your break getting any better than it is.

I wonder how long before the pool instructors incorporate your video into their schools?

Jake
His leg does go up (on some of the breaks he shows), but so does his stick. On the ones where his stick goes straight up, his foot stays down. I suspect the lamps wouldn't like that follow through. If his stick went more forward, his leg would go out more. It's just balance and physics.

Fred

Last edited:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Awesome!!

Colin, What a great instructional video! You've boiled it all down and the results are there for anyone to see. Fantastic!

Flex

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job

Great video Colin,

Very in depth and easy to understand. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

I've been trying to figure out where I was losing power during my power break and think I figured it out. You were talking about the pause and it's relation to the timing so the cue doesn't race ahead of your body. I think this is where I've been going wrong. I've always had a decent break with good control, but my power break sucks, and I play mostly 8ball.

This made my day, have a great one.

KLOPEK:)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
His leg does go up (on some of the breaks he shows), but so does his stick. On the ones where his stick goes straight up, his foot stays down. I suspect the lamps wouldn't like that follow through. If his stick went more forward, his leg would go out more. It's just balance and physics.

Fred
Interesting observation. Yes, sometimes my stick bounces up more than other times and occassionally the lights get a little clip with the cue if I don't get the stroke timing quite right.:eek:

btw: Glad you guys enjoyed the vid. Thanks for all the positive comments.

Colin

Last edited:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
gonna watch it right away m8! comments seem to be greath :D

hopefully u can help me with my next goal. learn how to break. i know its a bit harder do learn someone something as complicated as breaking, but im sure we'll get there :)

ok now stttttttt, gonna watch it :D

OW MY GOD! :D u NAILED it this time Colin. i think this video is what every player was hoping to find in instructional dvd's but never really found. to me this is the #1 break instructional video by FAR. :) i can see SO many things wrong in my brake, and i get what u ment with the folow true etc. aarf how am i going to train this without a table? maybe i could just do the move on a table with a mirror next to me and your video playing and compare the movement. try it in slowmo first to get the coordination and timing right and learn the movement, and gradually increase, and then try it out :D

ps did i get it right that your bridge hand is about 11" = 33cm? away from the rock? or did i misunderstand it.

ps2: uve got a MASIVE powerbreak. ow man :) if i ever could get my break up to anything close to that, ill be running ALOT more tables. i pot a ball on the break around 30% and at least half of the balls pass the middline around 30% of the time too. increasing it to 75% would meen LOADS :D

Colin, u are a god gift to me and this forum.

Last edited:

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for making fun of you for wearing that glove!@#:p

With a break like that, you can show up wearing a burlap sack, and I could care less.

Thanks ,and I always appreciate someone who is willing to take the time to share.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
Hey guys,
I've had a few requests to put a video together to demostrate some breaking concepts I've discussed here.

Here is the video:
http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/_archives/2006/10/12/2410328.html

Look forward to any constructive criticism or questions.

Colin

The detail in which you communicated the Power Break shot is certain to improve most players' break. The video clears up a couple of questions that I had. You are a generous guy.
Thanks Colin!
JoeyA

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
shame on you colin, for sharing this information with any yahoo who logs onto the internets. that knowledge is supposed to be expensive! it took me 15 years to put all that together and now you just give it away...sigh

-s

j/k good video, man.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
thats why colin is one of the greathest, he's always ready to help anyone and doing it just for the love of the game.

*runs to the kitchentable to train his break*

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Very generous of you, Colin, to share your knowledge with us. Thank you for a truly great instructional video.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
btw: I was PM'd regarding what break cue I'm using here:

It's actually my first US pool playing cue. I bought it off the rack at a local pool club for 100 yuan (US$12), I liked the stiff shaft it has. It has a water buffalo tip which cost me twice as much as the cue...lol

I don't notice much difference between the water buffalo and the old Talisman Medium I used to have on it. Basically it comes down to timing the stroke well, to develop the power. If I had a phenolic, I'd be worried about keeping the CB on the table I suspect.

In the video, I kept in a break where the CB jumps off the table. It jumps off after 2 bounces on the baulk side of the center pocket. I think that is a good indicator of the speed. You need to hit very accurate on the front pack ball when hitting with a lot of power, or manage to sweep the CB extremely flat which is not easy.

Colin

pbat2751

Well done Colin!!!

There is some interesting tidbits I'll be playing around with. They way I break (style?) is similar, so tweaking things should prove interesting. My problem lately is that I don't think I'm getting my legs in to my break enough. Results have been good but could be better. I'll repost tomorrow.

Colin's break style is similar to Strickland's with the forward arm and how they follow threw. Check the tape... and maybe the glove.