mottey , black , nitti

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone own these and or what to prefer . they arent far off in prices maybe 300 between them

i just have no experience with em . ive got player cues , but ive always wanted a custom big name . bucket list you might say

i have heard great stuff on the Nitti

anyone own these and or what to prefer . they arent far off in prices maybe 300 between them

i just have no experience with em . ive got player cues , but ive always wanted a custom big name . bucket list you might say

I should not reply, because I will probably never be able to buy any cues from those 3 makers, but my dream cue has always been a Bushka style Richard Black. His cues are so beautiful.

Mottey cues are probably higher end (more expensive) then the other 2 cue makers.

I have always heard that Nitti cues hit amazing too.

I am sure you would be really happy with a cue from any of those 3 cue makers.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had two Richard Blacks that I had him make for me.

An ebony 4-point with 4 veneers that he made in 1978.

And, I had him make me a Merry Widow in 1981.

The first cue was one of the best cues I ever had and I wish I had it back.

The second cue didn't play as well as the first one and I sold it.

Unless you plan on spending $5,000, or more, on a Richard Black cue, he isn't even going to touch it. He may not even see it, as far as I know. When I talked to Richard a while back he told me that his apprentice guy (for lack of a better word) made the cues under $5,000 and he was only concentrating on the more expensive stuff.

I've never tried cues by the others you mentioned.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good info thou . i got to read and read .

ive contacted a few builders and only one to respond to my emails is bob frey , so i might look into him as well . i like it when people get back with you .

my money is hard earned and someone cant mail me back in timely manner or not at all , urks me .

im old but still learning . lol

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should not reply, because I will probably never be able to buy any cues from those 3 makers, but my dream cue has always been a Bushka style Richard Black. His cues are so beautiful.

Mottey cues are probably higher end (more expensive) then the other 2 cue makers.

I have always heard that Nitti cues hit amazing too.

I am sure you would be really happy with a cue from any of those 3 cue makers.

i feel ya , my money comes hard , and ive saved up , i used to play all the time . but 20 years went gone fast. thats last time i was in pool hall . there are so many freat makers now back in my day you only heard of handful . then the internet put out like tons of makers . its just hard to weed thru

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good info thou . i got to read and read .

ive contacted a few builders and only one to respond to my emails is bob frey , so i might look into him as well . i like it when people get back with you .

my money is hard earned and someone cant mail me back in timely manner or not at all , urks me .

im old but still learning . lol

What are you looking for?

New?

Used?

A particular style?

Etc.

There are tons of cue makers who will make almost anything you want if you have the money. Some charge way more than others for almost the same thing. I'll leave it to others to argue who is the better maker.

I have way more cues than I know what to do with...production, custom, wood and carbon fiber.

Some people aren't into carbon fiber, but I think the Becue can hang with any cue by anybody. The butt and the shaft are both made of carbon fiber and the joint and butt cap are made of titanium. You don't have to worry about dings, dents, warping, etc. (I'm sure you could do some damage to one if you purposely tried, but for normal circumstances I don't think you need to worry).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Paul Mottey belongs in the top 10 cue makers ever.
He made me the two best snooker shafts I’ve ever seem...as a favor.

I’ve got a 4-point ebony with inlays on the points (nothing fancy) Richard Black that
I won’t part with...been offered market price numerous times...
...but I regret not getting a Black Hoppe Copy in ‘78...guy changed his mind.

Never hit with a Nitti,,,,but have heard nothing but good about him.

So I feel you can’t go wrong with any one of those cue makers.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Paul Mottey belongs in the top 10 cue makers ever.
He made me the two best snooker shafts I’ve ever seem...as a favor.

I’ve got a 4-point ebony with inlays on the points (nothing fancy) Richard Black that
I won’t part with...been offered market price numerous times...
...but I regret not getting a Black Hoppe Copy in ‘78...guy changed his mind.

Never hit with a Nitti,,,,but have heard nothing but good about him.

So I feel you can’t go wrong with any one of those cue makers.

I was going to have Richard build me a Hoppe Copy when I had him build my ebony 4-pointer in 1978, but Richard told me not to get one. He had just started making them at that time and he said they made a "noise" and he didn't want to make me something that he wasn't happy with. I think the noise at that time had something to do with the way the butt was constructed down in the butt sleeve. I can't remember if his Hoppes then came with no bumper, like the original cues were made. He told if I wanted to wait, he would figure it out and I guess he did, but I didn't want to wait so I had him make the 4-pointer. I think I probably shot the best pool in my life with that cue.

All of his cues at that time were built with the same specs and tapers as Balabushkas. A lot of his earlier cues were sold on the second hand market as Balabushkas.

Last edited:

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you looking for?

New?

Used?

A particular style?

Etc.

There are tons of cue makers who will make almost anything you want if you have the money. Some charge way more than others for almost the same thing. I'll leave it to others to argue who is the better maker.

I have way more cues than I know what to do with...production, custom, wood and carbon fiber.

Some people aren't into carbon fiber, but I think the Becue can hang with any cue by anybody. The butt and the shaft are both made of carbon fiber and the joint and butt cap are made of titanium. You don't have to worry about dings, dents, warping, etc. (I'm sure you could do some damage to one if you purposely tried, but for normal circumstances I don't think you need to worry).

i like traditional looks . with points , maybe some inlays . there is just so much to look at .

i own some 80ties meucci , my schon , some mcd .

i told my wife efff it cant take it with ya so i can spend up to 2 grand . thats my ceiling

see here is my problem , i can buy some good cues here maybe get 2 cues or get one with the whole enchilada

i know it when i see it .

i like traditional looks . with points , maybe some inlays . there is just so much to look at .

i told my wife efff it cant take it with ya so i can spend up to 2 grand . thats my ceiling

see here is my problem , i can buy some good cues here maybe get 2 cues or get one with the whole enchilada

I am not sure how reasonable this sellers asking price is, but here is a nice Nitti for $1250 (or best offer).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitty-NITT...764839?hash=item5940d49c67:g:rk4AAOSwUeBeBKNc

I bet that cue hits super nice.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The ebony 4-point cue on the left in this picture in the link below is exactly like the one I had Richard build for me back in 1978. I paid $175 for it back then and it is $1800 now. When I bought mine they were made to Balabuska specs and tapers.

http://www.blackcues.com/traditional_cues.shtml

Attachments

• 4pt.gif
    4pt.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 432

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know it when i see it .

I would not buy a new cue if I had 2 grand , I would go to the next cue show they have, and play with every cue I liked in that price range and 4 or 5 hundred above until I found the perfect one. If you tell them you are spending 2 grand up front you lost most of the negotiation process.
There will be some great deals to be had, if this virus shit ever ends.
I would never buy a cue for more than a few hundred I never hit with, unless the seller had impeccable credentials and a money back , no questions asked guarantee
I would also educate myself on how crooked cue sellers doctor up problem cues, there are as many of those out there as there are junk cars.
Those are usually the first ones they push at you.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not buy a new cue if I had 2 grand , I would go to the next cue show they have, and play with every cue I liked in that price range and 4 or 5 hundred above until I found the perfect one. If you tell them you are spending 2 grand up front you lost most of the negotiation process.
There will be some great deals to be had, if this virus shit ever ends.
I would never buy a cue for more than a few hundred I never hit with, unless the seller had impeccable credentials and a money back , no questions asked guarantee
I would also educate myself on how crooked cue sellers doctor up problem cues, there are as many of those out there as there are junk cars.
Those are usually the first ones they push at you.

sound advice thanks . i dont think think this covid is gonna end anytime soon . i will have to ccheck to see if anyshows are in nc

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like some I've played some very, very expensive custom cues that played like crap "to me".

I've also played with cheap production cues that ran circles around the customs that cost several thousand each.

Like everything pool, you have to find a way to put your hands on said equipment. Asking others their opinions is a very unreliable way to make a decision about which "anything" to buy in pool when it comes to playability.

Having said the above, if your interested in only "collecting" cues to resale or whatever at a later date, well, in that case your best option is to do exactly what your doing. Ask questions and then ask more questions and then do research and more research until you at some point make a purchase and "hope" you don't end up eating the cue at a later date.

Jeff

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like some I've played some very, very expensive custom cues that played like crap "to me".

I've also played with cheap production cues that ran circles around the customs that cost several thousand each.

Like everything pool, you have to find a way to put your hands on said equipment. Asking others their opinions is a very unreliable way to make a decision about which "anything" to buy in pool when it comes to playability.

Having said the above, if your interested in only "collecting" cues to resale or whatever at a later date, well, in that case your best option is to do exactly what your doing. Ask questions and then ask more questions and then do research and more research until you at some point make a purchase and "hope" you don't end up eating the cue at a later date.

i want a nice custom that plays well . you offer good advice , but i live in the sticks . no places around me for 100 miles either way that has places to try out cues . ive had cancer 2 times and im 52 , im not gonna be around for collecting so thats out of question . ive lived 5 years longer then doctors have said . i have a inherited genetic disorder that i have a mutation gene which causes 1,000's of poylps in my body , i get scoped 4 times yearly both ends lol .

look up FAP familiar polyposis . thats what i got , i just really want a good playing cue with some extras on it . then pass it on to my grandkid .

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel ya , my money comes hard , and ive saved up , i used to play all the time . but 20 years went gone fast. thats last time i was in pool hall . there are so many freat makers now back in my day you only heard of handful . then the internet put out like tons of makers . its just hard to weed thru

I didn't read the thread before posting the first time, only your OP.

After reading all of your posts, I feel comfortable recommending you to buy a mid-level production cue in the price range of $400 to $600. Play with it and enjoy it without worrying about spending your hard earned money on something that may get damaged or lose value over time.

Sure, almost all production cues will certainly lose value quickly, but it doesn't matter since its your playing cue and only cost a few hundred dollars vs costing you a couple thousand.

I always hated having to "worry" about someone stealing or damaging a cue that cost a few k.

On the other hand, I never give a cheap production cue a second thought about dings or theft.

Buying an expensive custom is fine if one can afford to "take a chance" on the cue holding it's value etc...etc..

In the end, today's production cues in the $400 range play every bit as well as "any" custom cue ever made.

Good luck,

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i want a nice custom that plays well . you offer good advice , but i live in the sticks . no places around me for 100 miles either way that has places to try out cues . ive had cancer 2 times and im 52 , im not gonna be around for collecting so thats out of question . ive lived 5 years longer then doctors have said . i have a inherited genetic disorder that i have a mutation gene which causes 1,000's of poylps in my body , i get scoped 4 times yearly both ends lol .

look up FAP familiar polyposis . thats what i got , i just really want a good playing cue with some extras on it . then pass it on to my grandkid .

Sorry to hear that your having to go through all that.

I've had a little experience with similar issues so I know exactly what your saying.

In the light of your last post, I wholeheartedly recommend you to go with a mid-level production cue.

Your grandkids will be able to actually use it without having to worry about damaging it.

Besides, if you have my luck you will spend 2k on a cue and someone in your family will see it as just a "pool stick" and end up getting screwed by some slick buyer and seller of cues.

Like you, I worked very hard for my retirement and I could very easily afford to spend several k on a cue, but I have been there and done that and IMO, it's just not worth the headaches.

Again, buy a quality production cue and you will save yourself a ton of headaches and actually get more enjoyment for your money.

I hope your health improves sir,

Jeff

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry to hear it. I have a friend with it. This last time he refuses the bag so it’s a wrap it looks like. Fkn hard head!