RDS 100 CHALLENGE – Enter for Free and Win Prizes

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a score-based version of the Runout Drill System (RDS), consisting of a set of 16 break-and-run challenges of increasing levels of difficulty. In the scored version of RDS (RDS 100), you run through one rack at each level, starting with 100 points and deducting points left on the table after each miss or foul. Check it out:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests. I also hope you decide to participate in the Challenge. All the scores and videos to date can be found in the YouTube video description.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wish I could do this but no access to a pool table maybe until 2021
Bummer. Let's keep our fingers crossed that a vaccine comes out soon. Let's also hope the US does a better job at controlling the virus than it has the last 4-5 months. The US infection and death rate trends have been terrible lately, compared to most other countries in the world.

Regards,
Dave

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bummer. Let's keep our fingers crossed that a vaccine comes out soon. Let's also hope the US does a better job at controlling the virus than it has the last 4-5 months. The US infection and death rate trends have been terrible lately, compared to most other countries in the world.

Regards,
Dave

Agree. I am sort of mentally prepared for January at the earliest. Have a new cue coming soon and I won't even be able to try it. It's a very cool series

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree. I am sort of mentally prepared for January at the earliest. Have a new cue coming soon and I won't even be able to try it. It's a very cool series
That would be awesome if things could start returning to "normal" by January, but I worry that is very optimistic (unless we can do a better job shutting down the virus with better distancing, mask wearing, and ramped up testing, contact tracing, and isolation).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a score-based version of the Runout Drill System (RDS), consisting of a set of 16 break-and-run challenges of increasing levels of difficulty. In the scored version of RDS (RDS 100), you run through one rack at each level, starting with 100 points and deducting points left on the table after each miss or foul. Check it out:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests. I also hope you decide to enter the Challenge and try to beat my 77.

Good luck,
Dave
Does anybody think they will enter the Challenge? It doesn't cost anything and you can win valuable prizes (even if you don't score high).

Good luck,
Dave

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody think they will enter the Challenge? It doesn't cost anything and you can win valuable prizes (even if you don't score high).

Good luck,
Dave

I plan to give it a shot. I’m going to start doing this for practice anyway so might as well record it. Who knows, I might be able to put up a halfway decent score with some effort.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I plan to give it a shot. I’m going to start doing this for practice anyway so might as well record it. Who knows, I might be able to put up a halfway decent score with some effort.
Cool. I look forward to seeing how high you can score. Do you think 100 is a realistic goal?

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think 100 is a realistic goal?
I’m sure it is for someone. :lol:

I suspect I’d have to be playing over my head and get really lucky with layouts to get into the 90s.
I feel the same way; but on a really great day, with all planets aligning, and with a luck of luck, I think 100 could happen for me.

Catch you later,
Dave

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My attention span is not long enough to take on this challenge.

I would be more inclined to play 9 racks of 3 ball. For a short course equivalent of golf, with 4 being par each time.

It would be interesting for me to see how Fargo rate compares to a par score.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Gave RDS a try last night. Ended up at 70 last. Went into the last 2 racks @90 and feeling OK about chances, but then lost 8 points on Level 15 [flubbed an easy ball] and lost 12 points on level 16 [unfortunate break but then bad decisions on top of that]. Made a few rookie mistakes along the way, but the big issue was concentration at the end.

I think 100 is doable for top tier. But, but like most of the BU Exams, I would require a few lucky rolls.

-td

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gave RDS a try last night. Ended up at 70 last. Went into the last 2 racks @90 and feeling OK about chances, but then lost 8 points on Level 15 [flubbed an easy ball] and lost 12 points on level 16 [unfortunate break but then bad decisions on top of that]. Made a few rookie mistakes along the way, but the big issue was concentration at the end.
I hope you post a video at some point for an official entry. 70 is a good score, especially so soon.

I think 100 is doable for top tier. But, but like most of the BU Exams, I would require a few lucky rolls.
I think 100 is extremely tough in BU Exams I-III, even by a top pro, but a 100 on Exam IV (RDS) is definitely within reach by mere mortals.

Good luck,
Dave

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I hope you post a video at some point for an official entry. 70 is a good score, especially so soon.

I think 100 is extremely tough in BU Exams I-III, even by a top pro, but a 100 on Exam IV (RDS) is definitely within reach by mere mortals.

Good luck,
Dave
I'm going to post it up. It takes a bit of time to process these longer vids.

[EDIT: I may also give it another try today if work lets up]

-td

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to post it up. It takes a bit of time to process these longer vids.

[EDIT: I may also give it another try today if work lets up]

-td
Sounds good. I might also try again over the next few days. It is fun ... and excellent practice.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those planning to enter, feel free to post your info in this thread. I will add anything posted here to the YouTube video description and pinned comment along with the other entries.

Good luck,
Dave

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what if a person is playing the 9 ball rack shoot in any order and they fluke a ball does that count? What about a scratch on the break is that a foul that ends that drill?

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
So what if a person is playing the 9 ball rack shoot in any order and they fluke a ball does that count? What about a scratch on the break is that a foul that ends that drill?

Rules state scratch on the break doesn't penalize that level (bullet 3): "There is no penalty for a scratch on the break, and balls pocketed on the break remain down (except for the 8 in 8-ball-rules racks, where you spot it or re-rack)")

Also, bullet 9 indicates: "Use standard WPA rules." For 9 ball, I think that means slop counts.

https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Exam-IV_Runout_Drill_System.pdf

-td

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rules state scratch on the break doesn't penalize that level (bullet 3): "There is no penalty for a scratch on the break, and balls pocketed on the break remain down (except for the 8 in 8-ball-rules racks, where you spot it or re-rack)")

Also, bullet 9 indicates: "Use standard WPA rules." For 9 ball, I think that means slop counts.

https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Exam-IV_Runout_Drill_System.pdf

-td
Good answer. I think the RDS document covers all necessary rules, but if anybody spots any problems, please let me know.

Regards,
Dave

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Thanks for all you guys do to help everyone improve.

I really admire Mike Page; learning to recognize the “A” path helped my game tremendously. I see that the first phase of Fargo is level 11, while the final phase (16) is fittingly placed as the final step. However, I feel it is watered down. To master Fargo, you would have to run 10 racks in rotation. Mastering the final test of Billiards University requires one rack in rotation?

How many of us have ran the wagon wheel drill night after night and still came out below 80%? That was only one section of the first exam. New content is great, but you set the bar pretty high already. I don’t think this is- THE NEXT STEP to greatness.