Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Maybe stupid question about cue weight.
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
justnum
Banned
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-29-2020, 01:11 PM

I was hoping developers make cues that are fun to play with for children.

A cue stick and a clock radio

or a cue and fiberglass light

a cue stick with sensors in it

my personal favorite is a cue stick with a cup holder.

competition cue sticks are not fun for new generations

Old
  (#32)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

07-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post

What, no ashtray? WTF kinda crap are you peddlin'?

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#33)
justnum
Banned
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
What, no ashtray? WTF kinda crap are you peddlin'?
That is only for when they get older and have decided to begin their cue stick studies.

Old
  (#34)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-29-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
With a lighter cue you have to stroke faster to get the same CB speed - that might be a drawback for some. The reason they work for breaking is that you can stroke them faster, maybe (depending on your musculature) enough to move the CB faster.

If it works for you, a lighter cue can give more speed control because you use a longer range of stroke speeds to produce the normal range of pool shots - with a heavier cue you have to be precise within a shorter range of stroke speeds.

pj
chgo
Over and over I hear that CB speed is determined by tip speed, not the weight of the cue. If that's the case why would a tip on a lighter cue have to move faster than a heavier one?

I swear I'm not exerting any more effort with this cue vs other heavier cues on my rack.

saw some
Old
  (#35)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

saw some - 07-29-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post

I saw some cues with liquid filling near the buttcap and dice. The dice would roll every shot. Saw some with chaser lights too. I was very tempted to build a half decent sneaky and add the chaser lights that ran every time you hit the cue ball!

Hu

Old
  (#36)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kushn View Post
Over and over I hear that CB speed is determined by tip speed, not the weight of the cue.
The shock wave from the tip contacting the CB does not even reach the joint by the time the CB has left the tip traveling forward. So, the overall weight of the cue maters little.

Quote:
If that's the case why would a tip on a lighter cue have to move faster than a heavier one?
Only by misunderstanding of the physics involved.

Old
  (#37)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Over and over I hear that CB speed is determined by tip speed, not the weight of the cue.
Both: force into the CB = stick weight x speed squared.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#38)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochie View Post
I've been playing with a cue for a very long time, a good player who I know personally wanted to try it, he's a very good player and a friend of mine, then he said to me, wow that is a light cue.

He asked me what the weight of that cue, and I told him that I don't know, I really didn't.

He brought a scale and it measured 17.1 oz, then he told me "Oh you're doing it wrong" now I didn't know why he told me this, he said that I will play much better with 19oz, or at least the minimum 18oz if I desire, but never below 18oz.

Why did he tell me this? What do you guys think, do you agree with him? I rate him as an A player so that's why his words may be right.
Cue weight is personal preference. If you like that cue weight and you are used to it which it sounds like you are, I wouldn’t be influenced by someone else’s opinion. Depending on the make of your cue, you might be able to adjust the weight in the butt of the cue under the rubber bumper with weight bolts. If so, you might experiment with some slightly heavier weights, but you could easily go back to the original cue’s weight that you like at any time.

Old
  (#39)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup View Post
The shock wave from the tip contacting the CB does not even reach the joint by the time the CB has left the tip traveling forward. So, the overall weight of the cue maters little.

If that's the case why would a tip on a lighter cue have to move faster than a heavier one?

Only by misunderstanding of the physics involved.
I'm happy someone found this.

I'm not a physicist but lets say I'm not dead yet.

Unless tip speed really isn't the main factor, then weight has no bearing.

Remember, no matter the weight of the cue, the flesh in your hand negates whatever the weight.

It's all about tip speed.

I'm not arguing this theory. I'm just arguing more tip speed is required for lighter cues when all the science guys say its not true.

Do I follow the science or opinion?

Last edited by 3kushn; 07-29-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Old
  (#40)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I'm just arguing more tip speed is required for lighter cues when all the science guys say its not true.
I think you've misunderstood the science guys - as far as I know they all agree with you that a lighter cue needs more speed for the same CB action.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#41)
Korsakoff
AzB Gold Member
Korsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2020, 06:29 PM

When I was young, it was suggested to me to begin playing with a heavier cue, like 20 or 21 oz. Reason was that the cue would do most of the work, and the stroke would be straighter.

So, I did. Now, I don’t know if I had a good stroke to begin with or if the heavier cue helped. I’ve taken lessons off and on since the late 60s when I was in my teens until the mid-90s when I moved to Corporate America for real money. Every instructor always wanted to see me hit some balls first, and to a man, they all complimented my stroke.

I play with 20.25 and 20.5 oz cues now. (Just beginning again.)

Old
  (#42)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member

07-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I think you've misunderstood the science guys - as far as I know they all agree with you that a lighter cue needs more speed for the same CB action.

pj
chgo
Gotta read the whole article
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue/weight/

Old
  (#43)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

07-30-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm just arguing more tip speed is required for lighter cues when all the science guys say its not true.
Quote:
Quote:
I can't tell which part you mean, but this quote from that article clearly implies what I said:

"For a given cue speed, if the cue has more mass, the CB will go faster"

...therefore, for a given cue speed, if the cue has less mass, the CB will go slower (and will need more cue speed for the same CB action).

So I still think you were right.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#44)
johnnysd
AzB Silver Member
johnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2020, 01:13 PM

17.1 ounces is not too light. I have always played better with lighter cues. There is no disadvantage of them tbh. It is all what you prefer and feel comfortable with.

19.2 oz is the weight that seems to be the sweet spot for many people, but some people prefer it heavier and some people prefer it lighter.

Whatever works for you.

I play better with lighter cues unquestionably.

Pete Tascarella Sr. recently made me a 17.8 oz cue with his compression fit stainless steel joint. He was worried about how it would hit, but when he tried it he said that he liked it so much he would make a really light cue for himself, and he is a direct descendant of Balabushkas which were often in the 20 to 21 ounce range.

Be less concerned about other people's opinions and more about what works for you.

Like at Earl Strickland. Certainly one of the Top 10 pool players ever, and he is unafraid to do anything he think that will improve his game. There is literally no set right and wrong in pool either in equipment or technique.

Old
  (#45)
smoochie
Registered
smoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 08:13 AM

Reporting back.

I listened to most of your advise and luckily I found a guy who is knowledgable that helped me open the butt cap from the back of the cue then he saw the type of screw for weight bolts, he then inserted a 1 oz screw in.

My cue used to weigh 17.1 oz, with the 1 oz he put in you expect it to be 18.1, but it was 18.2 oz somehow, not that it matters I just felt I wanted to report this too.

Since I've been playing with the 17.1oz for some time now, the 1oz extra feels different, in the past I did not feel the difference in weights but now I can really feel it, where I know for sure by playing 3 sets with the 18.2 oz

The cueball reaction is much more live, the cueball travels more with less hit/power from me, also it is very noticeable that the draw I get from the cueball is far more with less power than what I get with the 17.1oz, in other words I hit less power and I still get so much draw out of the cueball, its amazing! I feel that it is easier to draw with this.

Another thing I noted is that my stroke is kind of more steady, and my final stroke going back and then striking the cueball, has became slower which I think is a plus? I'm not sure.

Also spinning the ball, I feel there is more juice spinning left and right, not just draw, but also any spin, it has more juice to it. I don't know what is it, but thats all purely on feel.

The only conn is that I feel that I'm missing more balls, maybe it is obvious to some of you knowledgeable people, the only downside for me is that I'm missing far more balls with 18.2 than the 17.1, also another conn is that I'm over-running my position quite often, its maybe because the more juice on the cue ball? but still, bad position is not good and I consider it a con, I don't know if its a getting used to type of issue, or what. but this is me reporting.

Now after this, I don't know if I should go back to 17.1 or stick to 18.2 still, there are conns and pro's, what do you guys think?

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: