Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Puzzled about ball scratches.
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

08-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochie View Post
...snip...

I feel that if I tell the guy who made it, he'd feel offended, maybe this is the only way he know how to do it.

...snip.
Is the guy a table installer for a living? Or just a buddy who helped you out and never did a table before? If he does this on anyone else's table, he will cause all their balls to be ruined as well. He really needs to know he is messing up, big time. Now for example, you are out a brand new set of $300 balls. And you still have to fix the table. The next table he does will have the same problem, and that owner will have ruined balls.

Old
  (#32)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-03-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Is the guy a table installer for a living? Or just a buddy who helped you out and never did a table before? If he does this on anyone else's table, he will cause all their balls to be ruined as well. He really needs to know he is messing up, big time. Now for example, you are out a brand new set of $300 balls. And you still have to fix the table. The next table he does will have the same problem, and that owner will have ruined balls.
I would encourage him to join Azb immediately and comment here. Not here, here. This is my space to say something.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#33)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
Probably one of the pockets there is an exposed screw or something.
Welcome to the rest of the world.

Good morning.

Old
  (#34)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2020, 09:09 AM

Brads used to hold pocket boot in place will damage the balls

Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee

I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Old
  (#35)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 11:46 AM

I own an A E Schmidt. I believe originally when new it had plastic screws in the pockets but by the time I bought it there were metal screws. I removed all the screws and the pockets just sit there loose. Once in a while a ball will rattle and not drop due to the pockets but it's better than having cuts in the balls.

Old
  (#36)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
... I feel that if I tell the guy who made it, he'd feel offended, maybe this is the only way he know how to do it. ...
Well, it depends on how you tell him. You could first show him the balls and ask what might be causing that. Then when he doesn't mention the nails sticking out, point them out to him. Then show him how much the balls cost and ask him if he would be willing to pay for a replacement set and he can have the old ones.

If that's the only way he knows, he shouldn't be doing tables.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#37)
smoochie
Registered
smoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I found out that one of the pockets has a nail that is visibly sticking out, and I mean waaaay out.

So just for the time being, as I want to play, I hit it with a hammer and now its inside the rubber just like the other nails, I also made sure that the other nails are inside the rubber deeply.

Now I'll just find GC screws and find another technician to remove all the nails then insert the actual screws where GC designed them to be.

But for now, you guys think I can play? as long as the nails are deep in?

Old
  (#38)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 01:48 PM

No. All the balls will be ruined in a few weeks.

Maybe put electrical tape over them until you fix it for real.

Old
  (#39)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I found out that one of the pockets has a nail that is visibly sticking out, and I mean waaaay out.

So just for the time being, as I want to play, I hit it with a hammer and now its inside the rubber just like the other nails, I also made sure that the other nails are inside the rubber deeply.

Now I'll just find GC screws and find another technician to remove all the nails then insert the actual screws where GC designed them to be.

But for now, you guys think I can play? as long as the nails are deep in?
There is no need for any of the nails/tacks as long as you are using the two screws that go in the two recessed holes for each pocket liner. To be safe, remove ALL the small nails/tacks that are not supposed to be there.

Old
  (#40)
smoochie
Registered
smoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond reputesmoochie has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
There is no need for any of the nails/tacks as long as you are using the two screws that go in the two recessed holes for each pocket liner. To be safe, remove ALL the small nails/tacks that are not supposed to be there.
Ok will do, any table mechanic here that know the name/size of the screw that goes in there, I'm going to go by myself to a screw store whatever these places is called, they know nothing about pool or table but ofcourse they will know the name/size of that specific screw for GC4, anyone know that information? a picture would help, i'd show the guy in the store.

Old
  (#41)
smoochie
Registered

08-05-2020, 06:24 AM

Just an update!

I've done what you guys recommended, thank you for helping me through this, we discovered the issue and now I've fixed it.

Ofcourse not me, I was able to find a guy who know the screws for GCs he now inserted all the GC screw in its intended location then removed all the damn nails.

good thing that I only got 3 scratches total before all of my balls get ruined

Old
  (#42)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

08-05-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Just an update!

I've done what you guys recommended, thank you for helping me through this, we discovered the issue and now I've fixed it.

Ofcourse not me, I was able to find a guy who know the screws for GCs he now inserted all the GC screw in its intended location then removed all the damn nails.

good thing that I only got 3 scratches total before all of my balls get ruined
Good work. I did not realize from your pictures the socket head cap screws were never there.

So what about the person that put your table together? Any comment on that? Does he assemble tables for customers, or was he a friend of yours just helping out? Did you let him know his error so he won't make the same mistake?

Old
  (#43)
smoochie
Registered

08-05-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Good work. I did not realize from your pictures the socket head cap screws were never there.

So what about the person that put your table together? Any comment on that? Does he assemble tables for customers, or was he a friend of yours just helping out? Did you let him know his error so he won't make the same mistake?
Ye the screws werent there at all, thats why the guy initially improvised by using his own nails with a hammer as you can see in the picture he put one or two to the right, and one or two to the left of pocket, but this is bad because if I hit balls hard and with English there's a chance the ball would hit that nail even if its inside the rubber, still the rubber can compress and the balls will be scratches just like the picture.

I talked to the guy, and he says that since I bought the table used from the 3rd party (Not him), he said he will assemble the GC as provided by that 3rd party, and he says the 3rd party did not give him these screws so he had to improvise and use nails.

Old
  (#44)
7stud
AzB Silver Member
7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute7stud has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I talked to the guy, and he says that since I bought the table used from the 3rd party (Not him), he said he will assemble the GC as provided by that 3rd party, and he says the 3rd party did not give him these screws so he had to improvise and use nails.
Unacceptable! That is shoddy work, and the person takes no pride in their work.

Last edited by 7stud; 08-05-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Old
  (#45)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

08-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stud View Post
Unacceptable! That is shoddy work, and the person takes no pride in their work.
At a minimum, the customer should be informed of any non-standard assembly needs...preferably before the work is done.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: