Unintentional Scoop

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to draw a player inadvertently scoops the cue ball off the table and it comes back down, hits one of his balls, and a ball hits the rail. Opponent calls foul... tournament director calls unintentional miscue. Opponent says everyone knows the cue ball hits the tip as well as the ferrule... double hit! Call ended up no foul, directors call..,who’s right?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to draw a player inadvertently scoops the cue ball off the table and it comes back down, hits one of his balls, and a ball hits the rail. Opponent calls foul... tournament director calls unintentional miscue. Opponent says everyone knows the cue ball hits the tip as well as the ferrule... double hit! Call ended up no foul, directors call..,who’s right?
That can happen without hitting side of ferrule. I'd call no foul unless i was watching the hit and it was clearly a ferrule strike.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i recently played in a seniors onepocket tourney
during my first match my opponent miscued trying to draw and scooped the cue ball
the cue ball hit a ball and a ball hit the rail
i called foul for scooping
he said he did not intend to scoop and it was just a miscue and since a ball hit a rail
no foul
i wasnt going to make a big deal about it as he is a very respected player and i was going to lose anyway (he was better but i did win one game...:smile: )
afterwards i asked several of the old timers about it
they all agreed with him
since his intent was not to scoop it was just a miscue

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently played in a seniors onepocket tourney
during my first match my opponent miscued trying to draw and scooped the cue ball
the cue ball hit a ball and a ball hit the rail
i called foul for scooping
he said he did not intend to scoop and it was just a miscue and since a ball hit a rail
no foul
i wasnt going to make a big deal about it as he is a very respected player and i was going to lose anyway (he was better but i did win one game...:smile: )
afterwards i asked several of the old timers about it
they all agreed with him
since his intent was not to scoop it was just a miscue
If you have a tall, mis-shaped tip its possible to do this without hitting ferrule. This is one shot where even a ref. may not be able to make a clear call. Probably easier(and less contentious) to just call it a mis-cue.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I believe most sets of rules allow for unintentional miscue, it happens.
This is not a foul and as described is a legal hit