Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 9 ball / 10 ball middle ground
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-07-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I guess if that's how you gotta see it.
Just checking to see if I understood.

Quote:
Incoming player can pass back on all misses unless safety is called. If a ball is made on a safety attempt you can pass that back also. Tony's tour has been around a while and this works for them. I for one am not a fan of CS/CS.
I don't think I am either. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#17)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Yep. Regular call-shot 10b is fine. Where i play we make one change to WPA rules and that is you can carom/combo(called of course) the 10b for a win. Still doesn't count on the snap but it doesn't have to go last as in WPA 10b. Makes for a little more exciting game.
Myself and few others play the same way here. I'm not so sure the 10 shouldn't be allowed on break. We very seldom see the pros making the 10 on break.

To many people carry 9 ball experiences into their 10 ball game. The two are really nothing alike. Amazing how the 1 extra ball changes the entire game from the break till the 10 drops.

Even if they didn't play call shot it wouldn't change anything at pro levels IMO..

I'm all for doing away with calling anything in 10 ball. I would rather save called shots for str8 pool and American rotation.

If people want to really see a good game they should bring POKER POOL back. That's a game that teaches the "two way shot".

My equipment:
table / sticks / balls

personal best:
mine

Old
  (#18)
VonRhett
Friends Call Me "von"
VonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

11-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Dang, nobody remembers 2-Shot Foul 9-ball??

It was the standard until the introduction of "Texas Express".

It was a better game, IMHO.

Over time, especially during the '90s, One-Shot Foul became more popular, as it speeds up the game. That was the ONLY reason it replaced 2-Shot Foul.

Re-introduce 2-shot foul and no jump cues (jump with full-length cue only) and 9-ball becomes much more than a quick run-out game.

-von

- "Von"
Playing Cue: Paul Mottey, BOBBY HUNTER
Case: JACK JUSTIS
Other Cues: Bobby Hunter(s); JossWest(s); Mottey, Others

Where's Jimbo??

Old
  (#19)
sjm
Sweating it at the Derby
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

11-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonRhett View Post
Dang, nobody remembers 2-Shot Foul 9-ball??

It was the standard until the introduction of "Texas Express".

It was a better game, IMHO.

Over time, especially during the '90s, One-Shot Foul became more popular, as it speeds up the game. That was the ONLY reason it replaced 2-Shot Foul.

Re-introduce 2-shot foul and no jump cues (jump with full-length cue only) and 9-ball becomes much more than a quick run-out game.

-von
I remember it because I played it, but I far more enjoy Texas Express, which, despite being slightly less of a shotmaker's game, requires a wider range of skills. Were the game to ever return to its old "shootout" form, I'd stop attending tournaments.

No jump cues ---- you can sign me up for that!

Old
  (#20)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

11-08-2018, 01:29 PM

If we're talking about compromise rules I really like 10 ball with 9 ball rules like they play in the Bigfoot Challenge at the Derby. This was the way 10 ball was played back in the Camel Tour days before the WPA decided they needed to make it a call shot game to differentiate it from 9 ball. In my opinion the extra ball is difference enough.

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Old
  (#21)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightPoolIU View Post
If we're talking about compromise rules I really like 10 ball with 9 ball rules like they play in the Bigfoot Challenge at the Derby. This was the way 10 ball was played back in the Camel Tour days before the WPA decided they needed to make it a call shot game to differentiate it from 9 ball. In my opinion the extra ball is difference enough.
Yes, and it's not just the extra ball during the game, it's more of how the balls spread on most breaks.

Most all pros break and run in traditional 9 rules but very few do so in 10 ball. Sure, we have break and runs in 10 ball but it's not the norm or at least if it is, 90% of the pros have been sandbagging all this time because I've most all pro break, run 1 to 3 balls and shoot safe or break followed by a push. NAW, they're not running 10 ball racks like 9 ball just yet they way most think.

My equipment:
table / sticks / balls

personal best:
mine

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: